Author Topic: 9" ford  (Read 4543 times)

gunracer1

9" ford
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:53:14 AM »
9" ford with a set of 2.73 gears, how strong is it? as in do you think it would live if i kept it a open diffs and didn't hammer it with 1000 plus fpt? i am thinking about just setting up another rear to put in the truck to hit goliad and may be bonneville. i am trying to figure a cheap way to get the gear i need. i can keep the dana 80 for drag racine and use the rear  for the top speed stuff. if i keep from hitting it at peak tq and just  keep the motor reved up in the hp range will it work?  or am i dreaming asking a 9" ti live at 650 or so rwhp and a 5k truck.

Offline EVLEE

• http://www.metroevents.com/jordaneng/index.htm
9" ford
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:43:29 AM »
With the SALT taking the brunt of the shock of torque I think it would live but you had better take good care of it and have it setup properly to start. I would also want to have one of the heavy duty Posi units!!!!!!!
                  Lee
 Remember you are not on blacktop ,that would be a lot harsher on it.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: 9" ford
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:53:01 AM »
Quote from: gunracer1
9" ford with a set of 2.73 gears, how strong is it? as in do you think it would live if i kept it a open diffs and didn't hammer it with 1000 plus fpt? i am thinking about just setting up another rear to put in the truck to hit goliad and may be bonneville. i am trying to figure a cheap way to get the gear i need. i can keep the dana 80 for drag racine and use the rear  for the top speed stuff. if i keep from hitting it at peak tq and just  keep the motor reved up in the hp range will it work?  or am i dreaming asking a 9" ti live at 650 or so rwhp and a 5k truck.

Like Lee said with a good 9 inch and axles, etc. you should be fine on the salt.  I've seen figures in the neighborhood of you can run like 40% more HP/Torque through the drive line on the salt with it's .4-.6 coefficient of traction than you can get away with on pavement.  You might never have the traction on the salt to get the 1000 to the ground so you will never be putting all that through the drivetrain.

Goliad could be different as you can get hooked up there, but they build 9 inch fords that survive in high hp drag cars and NASCAR all the time.  Are you asking about a stone stock one?

c ya, Sum

terry russell

9" ford
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:08:20 PM »
At Maxton,it seams a limited slip or an open rear work fine. Ihave no clue on salt,but I think the l.s. would work as well as a posi.

Offline John Burk

9" ford
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 12:20:11 AM »
Gun - The force on the teeth of a ring and pinion is the drive shaft torque divided by the pitch radius if the pinion . The lower the ratio the bigger the pinion the lower the stress .

Offline EVLEE

• http://www.metroevents.com/jordaneng/index.htm
9" ford
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 02:12:47 PM »
The posi unit is a lot beefier,than the open rear-end!!
                          Lee

gunracer1

9" ford
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 01:54:56 PM »
ok i got a set of 2.47 gears for a 9" and with a 30" tire at 4k would be 207 or so miles per hour. i figure i would give it a shot and see if the 9" can live. i have a big bearing truck housing up at the shop.  and i will just order a set of 35 spline semi float axles from moser or some one else. and i have decided to just go with a spool to keep it simple and strong. i have been looking at some aftermarket 3rd members and they have come way down over the years. so i guess a strange centersection with the billet support for the 3rd should do it.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Have I got a deal for you!!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 12:30:13 AM »
Gun Racer,
I have a Lenco 9 inch alum. center section that has a big bearing pinion carrier and also a billet spool, only 31 spline but it's tough and for you it could be the right price.

E mail me if your interested and I'll send pictures. $250 takes all.

Message me on Landracing

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

gunracer1

9" ford
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 01:47:42 PM »
well it sounds interesting, but i have run out of money again. every time i think i am ahead of the game something  shows up and whacks my racing fund. why do the wife and kids have to come first all the time. i just hope i can have it together for the fall run in goliad.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
It's Gone!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
Just to let everyone know that my Lenco 9 inch has gone to a better home, Tony Perea is putting it behind a nitro GMC six in a roadster.

Still have the 31 spline spool though, $75.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.