Author Topic: Tom Burkland family story  (Read 5481 times)

Offline Uncle Jimbo

Tom Burkland family story
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »
Another very interesting Bonneville Story from brother Lou's  Bonneville Stories series on You Tube
Tom Burkland shares his experience and family racing archives that started in the late 60's on the salt with his dad Gene and mom Betty.  He also is one of the track coordinators at the BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials where history is made every year and where this story is told.
Enjoy   :cheers:

http://youtu.be/uEPJf241pFE

Tom, Linda, Gene, and Betty Burkland own the fastest piston-powered SCTA record in history. On October 16, 2004, Tom Burkland climbed into his family's PPG Auto Finishes Orange AA/BFS streamliner at Bonneville and cranked a new two-way average of 417.020.

Bonneville Stories
Lou Fischer
630-802-6024
10S110 Leonard Drive
Willowbrook, IL 60527

BonnevilleStories.com

From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline Freud

Re: Tom Burkland family story
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
Now we need Betty to tell her story.

She is a dynamo and has probably had a major influence on their accomplishments.

She is also in the 2 Club.

Betty is a force. I'd be overjoyed to have her as a sister.

FREUD.
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:41:10 AM »
yes Ferd... the "First Lady" of LSR has to be one of the most interesting stories yet to be told. 
Great story, lots of history there.
Tom was lucky to be born in a racing family, it is in his blood.  The Burklands have contributed a lot to LSR over the years. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:55:15 AM »
Cool.  8-) Those are some darned fine Humans. Always a joy to talk with. Through conversations with Tom I have improved the safety aspects of the cockpit area of my Belly Tank at least a hundredfold.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »
I really enjoyed the video.  Tom always took time to answer our questions and he was pleasant and easy to talk to.  I will never forget that this very busy man took time to help people that he did not know.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:51 AM »
Tom is a true gentelman and has been invaluable as a coach as I have designed and as I continue to build my new car.  Thank goodness that we have a relationship that he will offer unsolicited coments is in the area of saftey.  If that man feels strongly enough to make a comment or suggestion---I surely try to incorporate his ideas if I feel like I can at all.  Thanks Tom---and thanks to your mom and dad for you and the way you are!   :cheers: heres to youa'l
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:37:14 PM »
  This one fits right along with the one about the whole family. Enjoy.
               http://youtu.be/kVSTmrerMS8
Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
  Sorry, I didn't see that it had already been posted.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]