Author Topic: Leslie steps down as pilot of North American Eagle..  (Read 19450 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Leslie steps down as pilot of North American Eagle..
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »
Valerie Thompson is the new foot for the shoe... :-D

Those that know Val will laugh at my comment..

Release said Leslie steps down to "health issues"

I am sure she will have a "Speedy" recovery. :cheers:

Offline fastman614

Re: Leslie steps down as pilot of North American Eagle..
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »

Release said Leslie steps down to "health issues"

I am sure she will have a "Speedy" recovery. :cheers:

I didn't know that Leslie was everreally "up there" from where she could step down....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline joea

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:47:38 PM »
ive been out of loop for awhile....guess i missed some big news regarding NAE..almost making an attempt....
and Waldo getting ready to blow everyone out of water.....

"""She almost had the chance to go for the title last year, teaming up with the North American Eagle land speed record team that planned to have her pilot its Lockheed F-104 Starfighter-based car past 800 mph, but had to postpone its attempt."""

Leslie says she’s still ready and willing to go for it again, but would she be up for a shot at 2,000 mph if the opportunity presented itself?
“I have to say that I’m crazy enough to say yes to that question.”

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/01/21/fastest-woman-on-two-wheels-has-land-speed-record-in-her-sights/

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »
leslie was going to try and break the womens record that is now held by kitty oneal. same goes for the new girl. ed will be driving the car when they get the chance to go for the big one.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »
I never understood these press releases claiming they are going to go some insane speed before they have ever even made a pass.  Seems like you are just setting yourself up for failure when you do that.   :?

Kind of like that English guy with the V-rod a few years back.  Has he ever even made a pass at the salt yet?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:51:31 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
The english guy with the v-rod only had that B.S. press release and that is the last we have heard from him. ed has run the NAE up to 400mph when he tested at ELMO. so far he is the only one out of all the other teams to have run the car.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline joea

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
""""""She almost had the chance to go for the title last year, teaming up with the North American Eagle land speed record team that planned to have her pilot its Lockheed F-104 Starfighter-based car past 800 mph, but had to postpone its attempt."""

that is from the attached article/press release....which is why I thought I missed something...

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »
leslie was going to try and break the womens record that is now held by kitty oneal. same goes for the new girl. ed will be driving the car when they get the chance to go for the big one.

I just have to add that Kitty Oneal is a South Dakota girl! :cheers:

Offline RansomT

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »

Kind of like that English guy with the V-rod a few years back.  Has he ever even made a pass at the salt yet?

Oh, his goals has changed now .... "..to make a serious attempt on the Outright British Motorcycle Landspeed record."  As far as I know, the bike has never run any event.  But they are still asking for money.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
About Kitty O'Neil (Hambleton) and this woman record.

The 512 mph average at Alvord Dry Lake in Oregon in 1976 was run under the rules of FIM....the SMI Motivator was a three wheeler....but also this record was never certified....there is an paper signed by the FIM that the average was set inside and under the rules of FIM....but the fee that the average could be certified as a record was never paid....Needham was interest to get the record with this car....and before he got the record he bent the car on a other dry lake....

So there is no woman record by Kitty....she is holding the WSLR (1977) record for woman and she is still 4th fastest person on water...only Campbell, Taylor and Wirby was ever faster.

And at last the NAE is running under FIA.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

McRat

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
Question:

Did Kitty O'Neil go 450mph at El Mirage in 1977?

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
On June 7, 1977, Kitty drove a rocket dragster from Ky Michaelson to an FIA standing start half kilometer (0,31 mile) record at El Mirage of 207.739 mph this was the AVERAGE from a STANDING start. There are no number of the final speed, but to the time when she pulled the chute it could be in the range of 450 mph....other said that she got 500 on...but the video showed that she pulled the chute not long after she left the final marker behind....
The 450 can be realistic...calculate the average of 207.739...reached from 0
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »
And at last the NAE is running under FIA.....

As both FIM and FIA are recognised World bodies I was wondering what you meant PP?  If you want to risk the weather variable (and only having two or three wheels), then the two hours between the runs for preparations available under FIM would seem to be a good deal.

I believe the Guinness Book recognises (or has recognised in past issues) Kitty O'Neils speed.

I am not sure that putting a female driver in for what amounts to the vehicle development runs, then replacing her with a male driver for outright speed bids, is ever going to attract positive acclaim from the media or many racers.  Some other International projects in recent times have used the idea. 

The Motivator project had internal management problems when Kitty drove closer to the then outright speed, which was not acceptable to some and writs started flying if I recall the events.

Malcolm

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »

Oh, his goals has changed now .... "..to make a serious attempt on the Outright British Motorcycle Landspeed record."  As far as I know, the bike has never run any event.  But they are still asking for money.

He had better hurry up because Richard Brown will be aiming for the outright UK motorcycle record with 'Jet Reaction' and with an average speed of 214 mph on his faster run with the earlier rocket bike he rode, the new afterburning jet could raise the record to over the 250 mph that the V Rod could attain.

Malcolm

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
so it takes a jet engine to only go 250 mph in the UK? And us yanks are going 312 with a normal engine.  :-D