Author Topic: Autolite Special Thompson  (Read 32021 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Autolite Special Thompson
« on: February 28, 2006, 02:49:23 PM »
There was a request about the 1968 Autolite Special from Mickey Thompson, which to his information runs 425 mph one way, before the run done him off the salt.
Later the car was renamed in Conquest and tried to to run 1969 again, without success.

Here some picture from the car today in Danny Thompson's workshop.

Best wishes
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »
before the run done him off the salt...oops...

means

before the RAIN done him off the salt...

sorry my finger was too fast......

See ya

Ps. the request was on the e-mail list where I can't attach a picture, due to this the pictures are now on Landracing.com
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 03:16:13 PM »
Pork Pie, do you have any more? Post them if you do please. This is one of the harder cars to find information on. I know Don Alderson (Milodon) had the car for sometime and Randy Scoville restored it. If I recall someone told me it had "wagon wheel" steering but I'm not sure.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

landracing

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 04:41:20 PM »
Those are great photos... Wish it could run again.

Jon

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
autolight
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 04:53:09 PM »
Jon
If the right deal comes along Danny plans to run it.
It's a great car and has the potential to go fast.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline vette#128

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 09:19:51 PM »
Great photos Pork Pie (and not a bad shop either)
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 10:25:32 PM »
Pork Pie;

Dankeschon Freund!!

Great Pics Thomas.  Danny's shop looks like an Intel Clean Room. Even White Snap-On tool box! Thanks again Pork Pie!! :roll:
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
DT: Danny Thompson
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 11:07:25 PM »
DT has always been a neatness type. When I worked with him at Interscope he was always the guy that got us to get organized and stay tiddy. I talked to him several years ago at B'ville and he would like to run his dads car and feels that it has the potential to go way over 400, but DT is very practical and will only do it on someone elses buck. He has been assosiated with enough race cars and racing to know that trying to do something of that magnitude will cost a big pile of dollars and he doesn't want to use his. I think he was talking about something in the 4-5 million area.

Danny is a hell of a fabricator himself and a truly expert welder, I think that he makes a living doing stainless steel interiors for the wealthy's kitchens.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 11:38:49 AM »
Danny is very nice guy, I always enjoy the time when I'm at his place in Colorado. Unfortunately, he lives on the end of the world - American Outback - but a view which is worth to live there.

To the Autolite and picture.

Yes I got a lot more (about 50) but there are all slides - this one are the digital I got - my batterie of the digital was totally down so there was only two.

Alright, some notes to the car and current status.

Correct, this car was original with a "wagon wheel" steering, like a "hearse" in 1880 - by the way the first Daimler car from 1886 - not the three wheeler Benz - was also with a wagon wheel steering - okay, Daimler was a little bit slower then Mickey.

Danny rebuild this steering to a proper axle steering. His comment to this old steering "Horroble.......nightmare.......not driveable.....".

Original the car runs two Ford 427, the rear was turbo charged.

Danny likes to use two aeroplane V8 engines, wonderful machines. He showed me picture of this engines.

Danny tried to get some sponsors like Coors and Bud, but no one was
interest.

He has to modify the frame of the car slidely - the original was a little bit weak - may be also affect from the steering. But this will happened when he got the engines in - once.

Otherwise the car is in great condition, he offers me to sit in, but I was not sure of the stand would hold the car properly, also the seat was occupied by cat's - I love animals so they could sleep thier siesta...

Today Danny's income comes from building of stainless steel fence, doors, housedoors and interior for the house like in the kitchen - and he is damn good in this.

Also sometimes he makes test drives, especially special crash simulations for new safety equipment.

See ya
Pork Pie

Danny Thompson

M/TAutolite LSR Car
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 10:50:23 PM »
Hey this is Danny Thompson and some of the rumors are true - I do have the two engine four-wheel drive streamliner that my dad built in '67-68 that ran in '68 but got rained out before he could complete a record run. I'm currently putting together sponsorship partners and hope to run the car in the future.  The engine bays are currently set up to run aluminum block Chrysler's but would like to run two Ryan Falconer V-12's and yes, it has wagon wheel steering that worked well at test speeds over 400 mph. DT

landracing

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 11:24:33 PM »
Danny,

I want to be the first to say welcome to my site Landracing.com...

I am really thrilled that you have joined the message board and the site. Please keep us up to date on the car we all would love to see it in the future.... Me most mostly... And im sure others as well...

Again welcome, and if you need me to help hosting pictures please let me know, the people here like pictures...

Jon Amo
owner/webmaster

Offline roadsterswap

Please post more photos and story on this liner!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 01:27:16 AM »
Thank you for the post. I am glad to see the car is alive and well and may make a return. I would love to see more photos and stories about where this car has been. Thanks for sharing.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »
Hi Danny,

great to see you on the website.

Hope it was ok that I showed your work (clinic clean) shop on this site :D

When I wrote about your prefered engine I couldn't remember if it was V8 or V12 engines, thanks that you correct my comment.

Think fast.....always
Pork Pie

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
autolite
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 01:28:32 PM »
Danny
Good to see  you on the site,sure hope to see the car on the salt soon. As always good to see you there as well. Haven't talked to Travis for awhile.
Good luck on finding the funds and sponsors for the project. Keep us posted on the progress.

Glen Barrett
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah