Author Topic: Bonneville Speed Week Photos: Landscapes of Racing  (Read 2841 times)

John Edwin Mason

Bonneville Speed Week Photos: Landscapes of Racing
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »
Speed Week 2011 was my first trip to Bonneville, and it was everything people told me it would be -- lots of fun and almost overwhelming.

I was especially moved by the strange, other-worldly landscape of the Salt Flats.  Even though I was there to shoot a story for the Charlottesville Daily Progress about Robin Dripps (who lives very near Charlottesville and teaches at the University of Virginia), I spent a lot of time photographing salt, sky, mountains, and light.

You can see some of what I got, here:

http://johnedwinmason.typepad.com/jem_racing_photography/2011/08/bonneville-landscapes.html

http://tinyurl.com/3sod78g

Hope you like the pics.

--John

Offline Geo

Re: Bonneville Speed Week Photos: Landscapes of Racing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
John,

Great photos!  Thanks for sharing.  :-)

Geo

Offline GreyCrazy

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
WOW, very nice!!  Love both your photos and your words.  I experienced many of the same emotions on my first trip there this year and you absolutely could not have said it better.  Thank you!  (clap clap clap)

GreyCrazy

Offline ragsflh

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »
great pics

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:45:12 PM »
Hi John,

Many thanks for sharing the great pictures & words. I too was at Bonneville for the first time this year (Speed Week 2011) after having had the trip on my bucket list for quite some time. I was taken aback by the vastness of the salt. Although I had seen many a picture, both still and moving, it was almost a surreal experience being there.

Regards,

Jim

P.S. If you so feel willing and have time, please would you consider posting a pictures or two here: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10264.0.html

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »
John, those feelings about the vastness of the salt flats do not go away as the years pass.  It is always a special place.

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
John, I have to agree with WW, a very special place that requires an annual visit every year either as a racer or spectator.  hopefully your first will be one of many.  Great pics by the way. :cheers:
 Bruce