Author Topic: Simpson and helmets  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Wester

Simpson and helmets
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »
The article is about football helmets but the immediate result of this research will likely show next in racing helmets.  Less weight, Hans device connections, this could have huge implications for racing safety.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110825/SPORTS03/108250354/Collie-teammates-test-helmet

Offline jimmy six

Re: Simpson and helmets
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »
Hopefully they won't become cost prohibitive for a budget racer. The carbonfiber one are still there for me eventho they are coming down in price as more are made and used....................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
I would think that it's motorsport technology being transferred to football and while they may learn a little which can be applied to motorsport the effect will be on football equipment much more than the other way.

Pete

Offline Brian

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
With any luck Bill Simpson will use it as a jumping off point for a new company rather than selling it to the once great company that still bears his name.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:06:18 PM by Brian »

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »
Football helmets are ahead of racing helmets now. They have chips in them that can be downloaded on the sideline to tell what the g force was of the hits the player has had. Football players take hundreds of hits every year. Racecar drivers might not ever take a hit. I have taken mine.....that could be what is wrong with me?

Doug in Big Ditch.... trying to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
Most of the design and testing on the helmets has been done by Jim K. on the boards here. I was lucky enough to hear the process form him and was amazed at what those helmets go through. Like Doug mentioned, those football helmets go through more punishment than the cars stuff.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Tman

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »
I want to see a greater use of the energy absorbing padding that all other sports are using that is just coming into motorsports. Even HS Football players are better padded than the new SFI stuff being strapped to cages.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »
I want to see a greater use of the energy absorbing padding that all other sports are using that is just coming into motorsports. Even HS Football players are better padded than the new SFI stuff being strapped to cages.

Trent, I think you're comparing apples and oranges. Like a football player, our helmets have a primary padding to protect our heads.

Unlike a football player, we are surrounded by steel tubes, with SFI fire rated padding. Remember, this is not the primary padding. Hitting that padding with your helmet is bound to be 'softer' then hitting the cage.

Football players don't have the fire issues to deal with, or a secondary padding to protect their heads at impact. While the 2" side rule is a pain in the a*s as far as entry/exit of the car, I think it's a great idea to limit movement. The shorter travel also helps to limit the amount of impact.

The impact chips are a great idea, and no doubt provide very valuable information. I doubt, however, that anyone here ever wants the opportunity to see what information that chip would provide!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »
I went looking for some info and did not expand on my last statement enough. My wife works with brain injuries and I ride/race mountainbikes (most of my pals could be her clients!) so helmets and "brain safety" are close to my heart.

What I was refferring to was this company www.zoombang.com. Speedway already sells their seat pad kit and they have applications for everything from Military to industry to ball and stick sports. I have seen this stuff (it is amazing) in action and I think there is a valid need and place for it in many safety aspects of our cars. DISPERSING SHOCK and "padding" are two separate things and in the event you need it, dispersing shock is of the utmost importance.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »

Trent, I agree that absorbing energy/shock is important, but after reading your link, highly doubt that material is the right stuff. If you notice, it's NOT used in helmets. Wonder why?

If you don't like the roll bar padding we have available, why not contact a manufacturer, and come up with a replacement? Compare the newest temper foam( been around since the 60's) energy absorption rates to the Zoombang. It's good in helmets, and if it were to be SFI fire rated, would probably be great padding for the cage.

Of course, then we would have to discuss the added cost to upgrade all the cages out there....

New helmets, better padding, head restraints are all great ideas and items, but at the end of the day, I really hope no one has to test any of them on the salt!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 04:44:38 PM »
The racing helmet and padding are just parts of the safety equation in our sport.  At the speeds we do you need all the parts in the equation to work together to be safe. No amount of padding is going to help if there is a failure in one of the other components.  I know first hand, when I hit pit entrance in a SCCA race at willow Sprigs, my seat cracked in half (fiberglass) and all that was holding me was the seat belts.  I had the latest greatest helmet, padding and other safety gear, but I still ended up spending two weeks in the Lancaster hospital, and ended up with one leg ½” shorter and a medical card to get through airport security!  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »
So, that's not your rear end in your Avatar?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »

I was just using that as one example. Their website does not show many of the applications they are working on( similar stuff is being worked with for helmets). The cage stuff I saw Eric and a couple other use was more like a hard plastic, some of it would not bend to fit the cage even after laying out in the heat. In the end they found something better from one of the vendors.

I just enjoy technology and dig it when folks keep finding newer and better ideas! :cheers:

Trent, I agree that absorbing energy/shock is important, but after reading your link, highly doubt that material is the right stuff. If you notice, it's NOT used in helmets. Wonder why?

If you don't like the roll bar padding we have available, why not contact a manufacturer, and come up with a replacement? Compare the newest temper foam( been around since the 60's) energy absorption rates to the Zoombang. It's good in helmets, and if it were to be SFI fire rated, would probably be great padding for the cage.

Of course, then we would have to discuss the added cost to upgrade all the cages out there....

New helmets, better padding, head restraints are all great ideas and items, but at the end of the day, I really hope no one has to test any of them on the salt!