Author Topic: whats the trick for decreasing cid by removing pistons?  (Read 8462 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: whats the trick for decreasing cid by removing pistons?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 04:41:10 PM »
Wasnt a Z2 a Japan only 750cc Z1 lookalike?
They are quite common in Japan that has a 750cc limit unless you go to some extraordinary registration length like you might with a HD.
Now a ZX-7 is state of the art for less than $1 per cc.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob E

• Diesel Huffer
  • New folks
My $0.02
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 05:24:53 PM »
You would be much better off swapping the 4b.
Don't quote me on this, it's been a few years since I've been around the B series, none of which where in a dodge pick-um up. But I'm pretty sure the boss for mounting both engines are centered midway respective to engine length. Mounting hardware; bell housing, actual mounts that bolt on to engine, change with the application and a 4b was never put in a ram.
You could simply disable and hold open the valves on two companion cylinders of the 6b. But it will be harder to start and run with a crazy lope. 
Having a custom crank made would probably cost more than a 4b, and you will need a re-ground cam... though I don't think it would be much trouble to swap a 4b injection pump on a 6b block.

On a side note there are some Chevy bread trucks running around with Cummins 4bta's and 4btaa's. All the mounting hardware will bolt up in place of a small block Chevy real nice.
I'm waiting for the day they stop denaturing ethanol at the pump. Can you imagine taking a pull of that? Wahoo!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 08:39:06 PM »
to my knowledge,,, you would have to remove the pistons to reduce them from being counted as displacement..
kent

Offline team_cougar

• Mercury Cougar go fast punk
  • New folks
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 10:57:41 AM »
It's no biggie for the 4 as opposed to 6 cummins.
If you can't find one, order the blueprint for the engine from Cummins and it will detail the mount locations.
Or, you could just find one (you'll have to anyway to use one) and measure from a static point that both have, like the bellhousing or deck, and pencil it out.

Either way, it shouldn't take much effort to find out.

Also, there are a lot of good diesels out there in the global market that are 4 cyl.
Andy White
Huntersville NC
1970 Mercury Cougar

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »
Wasnt a Z2 a Japan only 750cc Z1 lookalike?

Yes Kent
Tax limitartions in Japan limited domestic MC to 750cc.
The Z-2 was the same as the Z-1 with smaller pistons and a shorter stroke. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"