Author Topic: Motorcycle record clarifications  (Read 1516 times)

aswracing

Motorcycle record clarifications
« on: October 10, 2007, 06:19:56 PM »
So how exactly do we get record numbers clarified, when there are conflicts between the rule book, the web site, and the "official" list kept by the officials?

Writing to SCTA doesn't seem to work. As I detailed in another thread a year ago:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,1244.msg12746.html#msg12746

a mistake popped up in the 2005 list of records as recorded in the rule book. I knew it was a mistake because it was a record we had set in 2002, subsequently broken in 2004, and in 2005, the 2002 record magically reappeared in the rule book under a new class. Hmm.

I wrote to a couple folks at SCTA at the time and never heard a thing. The error persists in the rule book to this day. The records as listed on the web site, however, were correct, so I didn't get too worried about it.

Then at WOS I broke the "correct" record for that class, but not the mistaken record, and sure enough, I found out that the mistake was indeed the official record. Fortunately I was able to persuade the officials (mainly Dan) that his official list was wrong, and I knew it because they were crediting me with something I hadn't done.

It seems like there ought to be a way to get these things straightened out when we spot a mistake, so the mistake doesn't get propagated. What, exactly, is the correct procedure? Who is the correct person to contact?

aswracing

Re: Motorcycle record clarifications
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »
There's more ... at Finals this year, I painfully became aware of a couple more mistakes, where the website and the rule book were in conflict. I say painfully because I guessed wrong and didn't prepare the way I should've.

#1: Vance Breese's famous 1350cc A-PF record of 199.9, as listed in the 2006 rule book (not sure what the '07 book says). The web site lists Wink's Lakester as holding this record at 169.768. We had a discussion about this record a year ago:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,1615.0.html

I thought the record really was 199.9. Much to my surprise, I learned at Finals that no, the 169 number is the official one. WTF? Did Vance get robbed of his record? Why?

Personally, I don't think he should be robbed of it. But if he was, for whatever reason, and I had known, I would've prepped my 1350 bike for that class. Pissed me off to learn this at Finals.

#2: No, instead I prepped the bike for 1350 APS-PG, by sticking a fairing on it. The web site says the record is 164.044. Much to my surprise, I get to the event and learn that no, the record is 176 and change. WTF?

So I was prepared totally wrong, due to mistakes in the records.

How, exactly, do I get the final, official word on things like this BEFORE I go to a meet?