Author Topic: Error in records?  (Read 4014 times)

aswracing

Error in records?
« on: October 03, 2006, 05:49:07 PM »
OK, either I'm losing my mind, or someone recently inserted a mistake in the keeping of the motorcycle records. To wit: 1350cc A-PF, I could've sworn was 199 and change as set by Vance Breese (a damn respectable speed BTW). But when I look at this page:

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/records/BNIrecs_bikes.htm

It shows Vance's record in A-F (instead of A-PF). Suspiciously, it shows he did this with a Harley in '85. All Harleys in '85 had pushrods.

I highly suspect this is actually the A-PF record, and set more recently than '85, and the record listed for A-PF is in error (Wink's lakester? Isn't that his current sidecar rig?)

Who's the right person to contact about this?

Offline Larry Forstall

Error in records?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 06:26:47 PM »
Vance set the A/F record with his Harley. In fact back then it was the 1300 class. Not uncommon for a pushrod engine to set the overall fuel record. ( Dave Matson did it with his Vincent also). The SCTA does not switch records to match the engine type. The pushrod record will mature but it gives one an appreciation for what Warner Riley, Dave Campos and others have done.

aswracing

Error in records?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:47:57 PM »
I looked into it some more, and you are absolutely correct. I don't know why I had it stuck in my head that Vance's 199 record was in A-PF. I blame it on old age. In any event, that's a damn good number, my hat's off to him. I've noticed that lots of very good numbers were put up with ironheads on nitro.

Offline k.h.

Error in records?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 02:35:32 PM »
Breese was running a Sputhe XR1300 top end with a high number of fins on sleeved aluminum cylinders and Sputhe's own sumped (and much stronger than Sportster) cases, I believe.  Plus offset camchest and 5-speed tranny.  The prototype for the illegal for M cases.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline jimmy six

Error in records?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:05:15 PM »
BeforeDan chimes in . This is indeed a "P" record and has been pointed out for the next rulebook. Over the years missplaced record are put where they belong...When Vance set that record there were no pushrod classes. Infact the record Vance took was held by a Harley or another pushrod bike. So far we have not found a non push rod bike which held the record so it maybe open in the next book...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

aswracing

Error in records?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 06:44:47 PM »
Interesting on his motor, thanks k.h. The guy definitely did a great job.

So his record will be moved to A-PF? That's good know, it affects my plans for World Finals (which is why I was looking at all this stuff in the first place). Thanks for chiming in with that.

And, I'm happy to say, this is one time when I actually AGREE with a change SCTA/BNI is making  :D

Offline jimmy six

Error in records?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 07:55:11 PM »
It already has in the 2006 book. I did not have one by my side when I responded...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

aswracing

Error in records?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 12:18:50 AM »
ah-HAH! So I'm not losing my mind. I DID see it somewhere listed as A-PF. Thank you! The web site just apparently has not caught up with the book (now there's a switch).

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Error in records?
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 02:12:01 AM »
Quote from: k.h.
Breese was running a Sputhe XR1300 top end with a high number of fins on sleeved aluminum cylinders and Sputhe's own sumped (and much stronger than Sportster) cases, I believe.  Plus offset camchest and 5-speed tranny.  The prototype for the illegal for M cases.

Don't forget that Alan Sputhe at one time was the SCTA points champion for El Mirage ...

Alan was one of the first to design and run an Aluminum cylinder with a steel sleeve and at that time the HD factory was still running iron cylinders.. :shock: