Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Technical Discussion / Selecting a synchronous belt
« Last post by Jack Gifford on Today at 12:50:03 AM »
I need to select a couple of 8mm pitch belts, 30 mm wide- a 112 tooth and a 134 tooth. The sprockets are traditional tooth profile, not HTD. I can find sources of the belts, but have not been able to find specs- strength, minimum sprocket radius, temperature rating, etc. Most sources don't even state the construction- cord material, etc. Any help would be appreciated. (None of the suppliers responded to my emails).
Build Diaries / Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Last post by Jack Gifford on Today at 12:37:21 AM »
Thanks Mike for the info. Who is the manufacturer of the sensors you use?
Items Wanted / Re: 15 Inch Moon disc
« Last post by 836dstr on May 21, 2024, 03:55:22 PM »
Clay,

I have a 15 Moon Disc with cutouts for locating and welding tabs  (3 per wheel). You can have it for the cost of shipping.

Tom
Build Diaries / Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Last post by jl222 on May 21, 2024, 03:09:20 PM »
Took a while, huh?  But must taste so much sweeter knowing this could have been, and surely might, be bettered!

Stan

Yeah , we think there's more, data log shows 60% tps and wheel spin then backing off to 35% and rpms going up at 35%. So, a little slower on throttle and not getting sideways on start might do it.

Troy will try to post videos when he has time.

JL222
« Last post by SPDRACR on May 21, 2024, 01:43:06 PM »
Looks like the pickup sensor
on my MSD crank trigger
« Last post by Mike Brown on May 21, 2024, 12:48:06 PM »
A photo of the sensor for the rear tire speed mounted on the back of the transmission.  I was lucky enough to snap a photo on my phone as it gets more and more difficult to stuff things inside the belly tank body, not much room. 
Items Wanted / Re: 15 Inch Moon disc
« Last post by Clay Pitkin on May 21, 2024, 11:31:29 AM »
PM sent
« Last post by Mike Brown on May 21, 2024, 07:22:41 AM »
... I really like Hall Effect sensors...I am using a reverse biased gear tooth sensor...
Gear tooth sensors generally have only two wires. Hall effect transistors require three wires (as do all transistors). And Hall effect transistors respond to a magnetic field, not to ferrous metal. So- how do these "gear tooth sensors" function?

Jack, I believe the two wire gear tooth sensors that you are referring to are simply coils of wire called Variable Reluctance sensors.  The target is magnetic and as it moves past the sensor an AC signal is created.  They are very rugged and the least expensive of the sensors.  There are problems with VR signals as I see them.  The signal is a slowly rising and falling AC output so the input typically has a comparator to help shape the signal.  The VR output is also a linear AC alternator, the faster the target moves the larger the signal and conversely no movement equals no signal.  The sensors that I like use Hall Effect elements that do detect a magnetic field however in this particular sensor there is a magnet opposite the actual sensing element so as a ferrous target passes by the sensing element it detects the change in the magnetic field.  It is three wire as it requires 5-24Vdc power for operation.  The output is open collector in that it acts like a switch contact to the negative lead.  The output requires a "pull up" resistor.  In my case I use a 2.2k Ohm resistor to +12V.  This gives me a 0V output when the target is detected and +12V with no target present.  The output is an almost perfect square wave and works with no movement.  This is helpful when setting up.  I use a LED on the output that will illuminate when the target is in range.  It is a good idea to use an oscilloscope to set up a VR sensor in a new application.  I hope that this helps. 
« Last post by Jack Gifford on May 21, 2024, 12:35:07 AM »
... I really like Hall Effect sensors...I am using a reverse biased gear tooth sensor...
Gear tooth sensors generally have only two wires. Hall effect transistors require three wires (as do all transistors). And Hall effect transistors respond to a magnetic field, not to ferrous metal. So- how do these "gear tooth sensors" function?
Build Diaries / Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Last post by Stan Back on May 20, 2024, 05:39:11 PM »
Took a while, huh?  But must taste so much sweeter knowing this could have been, and surely might, be bettered!

Stan
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10