Author Topic: Best Streamliner Ever!  (Read 4669 times)

Offline gowing

Re: Best Streamliner Ever!
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2024, 08:56:55 PM »
Streamliner? They are all cool.
As a kid growing up with Popular Mechanics and Wide World of Sports....  The Budweiser Rocket !
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 08:59:15 PM by gowing »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2024, 09:05:03 PM »
Stan sent this to me.  I hope he'll explain it.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Gary Freudenberger

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2024, 04:43:19 PM »
Did your dad run it backwards?

Just kidding.  I sure miss him a lot -- so I'd guess it's so much more for you. 

In my case, he was just one of the bright, shining lights we come across on this trip.

Stan, you know Freud, had to do it his way!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2024, 05:31:58 PM »
OK -- some of you old-timers must remember this.

This guy Cotani brought a race(?) machine, a toater ramp truck, a weird motorhome and this motorcycle over from Italy for SpeedWeek (1972 to 1985 or so).

I guess the bike was a top-loading rider with an interesting view.  I'd guess that it would fit under one of the 2035 and a 1/2 of some M/C records.

• I didn't dream this up!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 01:48:01 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Online salt27

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2024, 05:36:34 PM »
Stan, I remember seeing that bike in a magazine in the 70s I believe.

What I recall is that he said he used his significant other for the body mold.

Don

Offline tallguy

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2024, 07:59:17 PM »
Unless I'm wrong . . .

The purpose of a streamliner (vehicle) is to carry a person at relatively high speed.
In the case of land speed racing vehicles, the goal is to set a new land speed record.  The goal is not to win awards for
photography, sound, smell, or choreography while performing in an illegal "sideshow".

So . . . based on purpose, I would say that the BEST streamliner is the one that has gone fastest officially, and holds the
existing record.  This means, based on official evidence, that the fastest streamliner is the best one.

This still leaves me wondering which one is the fastest, because I don't know a universally-acceptable definition of
"streamliner".  Are we going to limit this to officially-sanctioned classes that have the word "streamliner" or "streamliners"
in the name of the class?

There are also different sanctioning organizations that promote land speed racing.  Each has its own rules and definitions.

We may not ever all be able to agree on which one(s) to favor, regarding validity/acceptance for the purpose of comparing
which streamliner is best. 

I'm always more interested in function, compared to aesthetics.  And value judgments may not be the most useful things to
be discussing here anyway (Yes, that's a value judgment on my part).  I'd rather talk about engineering-related subjects
that apply to going fast(er) in a vehicle that was designed with aerodynamics in mind.  For example, could deliberate
substantial heating or cooling of the skin of a car improve its aerodynamics?  If so, how/why?  How about vibrations (perhaps
provided by an internal speaker)?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2024, 08:08:49 PM »
This guy Cotani  . . .
Luigi Colani