Author Topic: There's a story behind my "retirement"...  (Read 4633 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: There's a story behind my "retirement"...
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2023, 03:16:07 PM »
There is a whole lot  about  this that sucks, Slim. SCTA doesn't own  nor support the site with information (that would be more to their liking) let alone financially. They have no right to suggest you censor anything, particularly something that someone else posted. If they would post timely information, answer questions timely etc, etc people wouldn't need to ask for help here about what is going on there.

WRT being fired from streaming, the recent WF update just posted, shows they have a new streaming service. Didn't take long. Wonder how much they will make from that? Oh Well...

Well said, except I believe the person who will be doing the WF's is the same person who was at the starting line this year at Bonneville. And this sounds like a salesman talking. IMO. " Your car or motorcycle will be seen AROUND the WORLD

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2023, 04:17:44 PM »
I caught a little bit of that guy in recap videos since SW.  Less than impressed would be a compliment at this point.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline toclub

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2023, 05:27:04 PM »
He doesn't have a clue about LSR

Offline desotoman

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2023, 01:31:14 PM »
Jon, What happens to Ron now that you are gone? Or did they fire him too? You two were a team that worked quite well. Inquiring minds want to know?

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2023, 03:37:39 PM »
Question I read the latest SCTA Email update there's going to be live streaming who's doing that?

Slim your going to be missed by everyone not only for your announcing but also for your knowledge and HELP when someone stops by to ask you to announce there in need of such and such. 

In 2017 when we were in need of a 220 gear ratio for the quick-change in our REMR you were more than happy to announce this to all listening plus you took my cell phone number to pass on if anyone stopped by with what we were looking for.  That afternoon I got a call the fellow on the phone said he had the ratio we were looking for. Latter that day I was standing on the side of the street in Wendover across from the Copper Kettle where the hand off of the gears took place. That set of gears helped put our roadster over 200 and by the time My son and I left Speedweek in 2017 we were both Life Time members of the 200 MPH club. Your help made that possible I will never forget that.
 Ronnieroadster

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 03:39:29 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2023, 10:13:50 PM »
Ron - - and everyone on this Forum. Thank you for your kind words.

I haven't commented much on all "retirement" posts, but I promise that I have read each one.

And, dammit, I break into tears when I see that (evidently) I'd been doing a good job announcing - - and now they won't let me do it any more.  I'm very sorry I won't.  It was the best gig ever.  I want to continue

Anybody interested in starting a "Get Slim Back In The Announcer Trailer" campaign?  Let me know. :-) 8-)

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2023, 08:57:54 AM »
Slim, my current plan is to withhold next year's SCTA advertising! :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline desotoman

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2023, 10:42:02 AM »
As I recall there is a "POLL" feature on this website. So that would be a start, to get Jon back.
How about a moderator start a Poll on the subject and then SCTA-BNI will see the results and ask Jon back. Or at least offer him a job doing the VOICE on the broadcast.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:47:48 PM by desotoman »

Offline noboD

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2023, 10:50:46 AM »
I think that pole would be rigged. None of us would be here if it weren't Jon. I predict the pole will be 100%?Chances are I will never get back to Bonneville for racing. Jon and Ron make it seem like being there.

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2023, 01:02:17 PM »
How about doing the USFRA event WOS?? Personally its my favorite one, cheaper rooms, shorter lines and usually better weather.
327,B/GR

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2023, 01:11:52 PM »
^^^  I agree  ^^^

Someone in the SCTA dropped the ball.  This is a chance to go where you will be greeted and welcomed with open arms.

I have never been to WOS, but everything I have heard from competitors is it is a lot friendlier than SW or WF.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline jl222

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2023, 01:58:09 PM »

I don't know if this would work in this situation.

But, years ago when I was a club rep (meetings every month) the El Mirage 200 mile line was abolished.

A few months later after witnessing a scary high powered roadsters tire spinning, sideways, on the verge of spinning out of control on a loose track.

I made a motion to reinstate the 200 mile line. It passed, still in us

So, you club reps or presidents make a motion to reinstate Slim.

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2023, 03:38:44 PM »
To all BNI members: If you would like to reinstate Jon to the position of announcing live coverage of Speed Week, here is the contact information for the people who "retired" him.
Send them a message that you are not happy with their decision on his forced "retirement".
There is a Marketing and Promotion person who should also be included since Jon would fall under that heading.

Tom G.

Offline noboD

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2023, 05:48:41 PM »
Desotoman, I am not being critical but I think the pole we were talking about is a POLL. It took my high school English a long time to realize that. I still agree with you and am sure it would end up 100%.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2023, 11:03:08 PM »
Ron Christensen is the USFRA announcer, I believe, and while I've sat in for him a few times - they don't need two announcers.  He and I have chatted, as usual, since the SpeedWeek debacle, mostly telling inappropriate jokes and talking about his upcoming ride in a K/GL.  As for WoS as an fine alternative to SpeedWeek - I know it is.  Nancy and I raced there a bunch of times.

About everything else - - - thanks, gentlemen.  I'll be in touch.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com