Author Topic: WORLDS FASTEST MOTORCYCLE RIDERS  (Read 17574 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: WORLDS FASTEST MOTORCYCLE RIDERS
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2021, 09:56:29 AM »
TrickyDicky,

thanks for information.

on the SRC are some updates but still nothing from the Voxan record runs
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline sabat

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »
Please kind historian, could you give me a hint of where to look for the overlapping front fender in motorcycling history? Could it be with the early GP bikes? Thanks, Dean

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2021, 03:43:16 PM »
Dean,

you will have a tough time to find them...if this informations ever was published on a webpage....

when you talk about earlier GP bikes....you talk about the time after WW II when NSU was still racing....

this was one kind of dustbins...they run not very long before the ban came...other was the full dustbins in LSR....they was running for a long time....see the Herz NSU in 56 and 65, and the Munro streamliner...meanwhile they also not anymore allowed...

in GP...as the rules was much tougher...and I know from the NSU work team....there was all kind of ideas....and some of them was very strange....I have seen some material in the archive, there...
there was similar one...if the idea was the way that it works like the today....the picture didn't show the function....

when I'm talking of this concept....I talk about LSR.....since LSR starts more than 120 years ago.....there were always the strangest idea to get a fast going vehicle...also on two wheels...
maybe since the 60's they knew the base.....

some of the idea was in the way as the today concept.....as so many LSR projects....a lot of them never saw the flying mile....or was not succesful enough to find a spot in the news....

This ideas....they was published in daily newspaper of the place where this guy lives....some found a place in books about motorcycle design....

but mostly not in big print numbers.....if you like to see those information you have to visit a collector of this stuff....and you have to view the material they have....

England was always a place with a big interest in LSR...especially in this time....and there you can find that stuff...

I used my chance when I was in England to see them....

and it means.....SEE.....

because this information stayed at the place.....

maybe you understand now, when I say...tough to find them on the web...

very often this collector was very old and to the time I visit them there was no internet....and it is to fear, that when this collector passed away....the collection also disappeared....

as a historian you be the keeper of the facts....and we always wish that someone keeps the stuff what chronist wrote a long time ago......more we like old photos, doesn't matter how bad...

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2021, 04:26:39 PM »
We know the recent history pretty well.

The Kawasaki MotoGP / FORMULA 750 team showed up at Oulton Park in England for a GP race in 1976 with fenders like Alp's and Voxan's.  The FIM threw a fit, and the sides of the fenders were changed.

Very shortly thereafter, the famous CHARLIE TOY appeared at Bonneville with His version of the fender on HIS Kawasaki.  That progressed quickly to a 2nd version for Bonneville that was more aero, but used the same principal; A front fender fitting OUTSIDE the body work.

There was also a HARLEY version built on the very-trick Carl Morrow's CARL'S SPEED SHOP SPECIAL.

All this was happening in plain view in Europe and in Bonneville in the 1977's.

I have had all this in my notes for years, and the parts are the subject of one of my up-coming articles for the Bonneville Racing News - with pictures.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2021, 04:45:29 PM »
Thanks Sir,

I be honest....in the 70's my interest into GP wasn't that serious.....my focus in LSR history starts in 1970...with the famous Blue Flame....

I have heard from so "experimental" in GP but haven't seen a note about....so I couldn't tell

I would be very interest in your article...unfortunately I lost the contact to Wendy and as I couldn't be on the salt for the last years I couldn't talk to her in person at the salt...
I'm not getting the BRN anymore for a while....

maybe there is a chance that you could get me than a PDF?

Would be great
Pork Pie

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »
"when this (now) Voxan project starts the first concepts shows the same concept idea....and this scetches was from around 2011/12 (when I seen them the first time)"

What about these "scetches" you saw first time "around 2011/12" Mr. PorkPie?  Please post or put a link here from 2011/12 so we all can benefit from this information.

I talked to Voxan they couldn't provide any period data (newsletter or online posts) How did you see this concept in 2011/12?

We know the recent history pretty well.

The Kawasaki MotoGP / FORMULA 750 team showed up at Oulton Park in England for a GP race in 1976 with fenders like Alp's and Voxan's.  The FIM threw a fit, and the sides of the fenders were changed.

Very shortly thereafter, the famous CHARLIE TOY appeared at Bonneville with His version of the fender on HIS Kawasaki.  That progressed quickly to a 2nd version for Bonneville that was more aero, but used the same principal; A front fender fitting OUTSIDE the body work.

There was also a HARLEY version built on the very-trick Carl Morrow's CARL'S SPEED SHOP SPECIAL.

All this was happening in plain view in Europe and in Bonneville in the 1977's.

I have had all this in my notes for years, and the parts are the subject of one of my up-coming articles for the Bonneville Racing News - with pictures.

Old-N-Slow
Exactly!! "We know the recent history pretty well."

If you compare the "CHARLIE TOY fairing" and the "Carl Morrow harley fairing" with my concept, it shows that you did not understand the concept of my design!

The GP bikes in '76 or any perioud can not run my concept since they have to brake, need more turning radius and the FIM rules require certain frame geometry.
Look at these picture here, see the frame geometry/ front ends.
https://www.motorsportimages.com/photos/?event_id=267640&p=4

My design has never been done, and the mounting of my overlapping flex fender is even more complex!

I do not have a problem others using my ideas, I help/helped other to use these concepts. I just want to make sure we get the facts straight!

If you have documentation any info that shows my "Overlaping Front Fender" was done before, I will apreciate it!
Telling stories doesn't help anyone.

Charlie Toy fairing Mr. Old-N-Slow
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=3972.0

My fairing with overlapping fender.
My fender is also unique because of its flex mounts that allows you to turn!

https://www.facebook.com/alpracingdesign/photos/1496736177096003/

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 01:10:31 AM by astek »

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2021, 07:03:35 AM »
FYI, Aerodynamic Articulated Motorcycle Fairing,, US Patent US20070126254A1
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2021, 01:14:25 PM »
FYI, Aerodynamic Articulated Motorcycle Fairing,, US Patent US20070126254A1

stay`tee
My fairing / fender design is not an "articulated fairing without substantial gap or opening" it is an "OVERLAPPING FLEXIBLE fender with no gap at all".

I appreciate that you provide documentation, that helps the subject! Thank you so much.

My workshop March 20, 2017  That is me in the picture sitting on the bike.

https://www.facebook.com/alpracingdesign/photos/a.863009823801978/979704555465837

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2021, 03:31:52 PM »
Back to the list at the beginning of this thread ...

It looks like Max Biaggi and the Venturi/Voxan Wattman will slot in at about number 16.

According to the FIM list, they set flying km and mile records at 280+ mph yesterday (22 November).  By my reckoning that is the fastest by an electric motorcycle of any class (FIM, AMA, SCTA, with or without sidecar).

I guess I would be willing to accept these speeds, but I would be more comfortable if they were verifiable  OUTSIDE the Voxan organization.   The Voxan "results" often read like an advertising-writer's dream, and not a listing of 3rd-party facts.

In and case, the FIM usually takes 6-12 months AT LEAST to post an accepted records.

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2021, 04:13:21 PM »
Link to the FIM I.A1.B VII 300kg CLASS

* Pending Ratification by the FIM/CCR

https://results.fim.ch/wrecord/wrframe?idwrc=76

Offline Old-N-Slow

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »
Thanks ALP, the 283.182 mph is great for place 16 on this list.

On the Charlie Toy et al front fender:

My point was never to diminish your innovations,
since I was largely unaware of how they
were developed or how they work.

My point is that - for me at least - Charlie - some
40-50 years ago, was the transition point where
 someone used something other than the "dustbin"
fairing to send the air around the outside of
the fairing, instead of partially through it.

I for one would enjoy some additional education
on what you have accomplished !

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2021, 08:38:05 AM »
Back to the list at the beginning of this thread ...

It looks like Max Biaggi and the Venturi/Voxan Wattman will slot in at about number 16.

According to the FIM list, they set flying km and mile records at 280+ mph yesterday (22 November).  By my reckoning that is the fastest by an electric motorcycle of any class (FIM, AMA, SCTA, with or without sidecar).

I guess I would be willing to accept these speeds, but I would be more comfortable if they were verifiable  OUTSIDE the Voxan organization.   The Voxan "results" often read like an advertising-writer's dream, and not a listing of 3rd-party facts.

In and case, the FIM usually takes 6-12 months AT LEAST to post an accepted records.

Looking again at the latest FIM list (extract attached below), you have to go back to 2019 to find records that have been ratified.

I also note they have added to the Voxan model names for the different classes run in 2021.  "Naked" and "Short Tail" I understand, but what does "Ristretto" mean (in this context - not the literal translation :-))?

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2021, 04:47:02 PM »

On the Charlie Toy et al front fender:

My point was never to diminish your innovations,
since I was largely unaware of how they
were developed or how they work.

My point is that - for me at least - Charlie - some
40-50 years ago, was the transition point where
 someone used something other than the "dustbin"
fairing to send the air around the outside of
the fairing, instead of partially through it.

I for one would enjoy some additional education
on what you have accomplished !

Thank you Old-N-Slow,
Yes there is more to the overlaping fender than I have shared here, perhaps I can expand on it (how it is constructed/mounted) in a separate thread.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2021, 08:26:25 AM »

There has probably been a press release now.

https://www.venturi.com/en/news/456-km-h-283-mph-the-voxan-wattman-remains-the-fastest-electric-motorcycle-in-the-world/

https://www.voxan.mc/en/

Peak speed (from GPS) claimed to be 292.204 mph.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2021, 05:49:41 PM »

There has probably been a press release now.

https://www.venturi.com/en/news/456-km-h-283-mph-the-voxan-wattman-remains-the-fastest-electric-motorcycle-in-the-world/

https://www.voxan.mc/en/

Peak speed (from GPS) claimed to be 292.204 mph.

I note with interest that Voxan, in their wording, are claiming "World Records", not "FIM World Records", I guess this is their way of circumnavigating the FIM Ratification process  :roll:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,