Author Topic: Who is(or was) Charlie Toy  (Read 14591 times)

Offline RIFLEMAN

Who is(or was) Charlie Toy
« on: May 26, 2008, 03:57:37 AM »
 Hey All,
 I am intending to put a AirTech "Charlie Toy" body kit on my ZX12R and was wondering,who is Charlie Toy? I hit The Net and places like Wikipedia,but can't find any info.
 Thanks in advance.
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline Larry Forstall

Re: Who is(or was) Charlie Toy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »
Charlie Toy is a long time Bonneville racer originally from Nebraska who now lives in Arizona. Charlie raced a Kawasaki Z900 air-cooled roller bearing engine with a Rajay turbo. The system had a carb on the intake side and sucked the mixture through the turbo, then into the engine. Charlie set records of just over 200 with this set-up. He then designed and built his "Toy" bodywork. The same combo immediately set records in the 227 range with a best of about 239. It works. This was long before the Busa, electronics, or even radial tires.

bak189

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »
Charlie, knew what he was doing....both in the Engine department and the Aero department.......
He has always been one of my LSR Heroes!!!!!!!!!

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
 :-D Thanks for the replies guyz!
 I was hoping he was still around. I never got around to asking Kent about him. Sounds like one of those pioneers that got to 200 honest before you could buy 200mph turnkey bikes at the dealer.
 I am familiar with that draw through system he was using. Crude,yet VERY effective.
 Do you know if hes retired from LSR competion or if he gets on this board from time to time?
 Would love to talk to the guy.
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:54:26 AM »
Jason McVicar used the bodywork in 2004 and raised his speeds with his Yamaha R1 1000cc approximately 25mph. 225mph fastest with nitrous, but no turbo. Sorry if you went faster Jason, but I think I am right!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

racin jason

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:09:25 AM »
gab,

Our fastest speed with the toy fairing was 216mph.
I spoke with Charlie several times in the past couple of years and he was great to talk to. Charlie was  building a streamliner and had a web site with some pics of his bike.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:32:12 AM »
jason, do you have, or can you remember what that web address is :?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:35:54 AM »
Hi Jason,
Sorry for the error! You sure "looked" fast though!! Have you got the website that Charlie was on for his streamliner? Regards, Gabriel.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Dirk

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 01:35:33 PM »
Hello.
I was sitting at work when one of my coworkers comes over to me and says "hey you have to check this out."
I walk out to the parking lot and I see this Kawasaki in the parking lot with a turbo.I walk up closer and low and behold it has these placards on it that say bonaville 200 mph club.Well come to find out he just started working with me.

owner Charles L Toy. 194.028 MPH 1979

I snapped a few pictures with my phone.

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »
That is AWESOME!    :-D
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline onebadmonkey

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »
I think he currently has this bike at 1040cc's pushing about 18lbs of boost. Brutally fast, it will carry the front wheel just off the ground most way through the gears but is rock steady the whole time. In current trim the Hyabusas and zx 14's etc can out run the street turbo on top end but they are embarrassingly out paced getting to speed so it never matters.
--
EDIT: Charlie is still around and should be up at Bonneville this year most likely to spectate.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:52:40 PM by onebadmonkey »

Offline onebadmonkey

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »
Here's some pics of the original Charlie Toy body a friend of mine found squirreled away on Turbo Rick's site.
http://www.turborick.com
The white paint was just after the body was created. The purple/grey/whatever is a couple years later and the green is how it was ran last.

Offline onebadmonkey

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »
The streamliner racin jason mentioned (of which I cannot find any pics) was a three wheeled, dual KZ1300 engine machine given to Charlie by Don Vesco that was to be remade. The project didn't take off before Don's untimely death, may he rest in peace. It has since been returned to his estate. Charlie has a new project in the works to be revealed soon and hopefully run before and/or at Bonneville 2010.
--
More pics
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:31:58 PM by onebadmonkey »

Offline sabat

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 12:00:25 AM »
Great stuff, thanks for posting.  :cheers:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
Charlie is a forward thinking talented man.... the 3 wheeler just needed way too much work..... it is down at Rob North's getting a turbine engine stuffed in it.....
kent