Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Aerodynamics / Re: Educate Me On Hood Scoops
« Last post by 71GSSDemon on Today at 02:13:52 PM »
What top speed do you anticipate reaching?
As the speed goes up, the inlet size goes down, but may be inadequate for launch.

For me, the ultimate goal will be 200mph, but I was more looking right now for thoughts on forward facing vs cowl induction vs the rules.  Like in my original post (below) is the added air (close to 5x what my engine can consume) worth any aero advantage of getting air up over the windshield.  I did a mock up and it appears the scoop would be a few inches short of the roof which makes me think air will make a sudden change, likely increasing downforce at the top of the windshield but then may be very dirty over the roof, back window and rear spoiler.  This to me would be a disadvantage over a lower scoop.

Rules say 11" high, can start at the leading edge of my hood at stop short of the windshield (distance depends on whether it is forward facing scoop (1/2") or rear facing (2"))).  If a cowl induction style scoop would be used, rule state it has to be completely open at the back.  This is a tremendous amount of air getting forced into the engine compartment.  The engine alone would not likely consume all of the air at speed and bunch up, causing high drag.  For a forward facing scoop it doesn't mention inlet size.  It seems to me, an 11" tall, hybrid cowl style scoop with a forward facing inlet, sealed to the intake pan, would be the best of all styles, seeing that I can then size the inlet and be within 1/2" of the windshield.... yes?
« Last post by panic on Today at 11:38:30 AM »
What top speed do you anticipate reaching?
As the speed goes up, the inlet size goes down, but may be inadequate for launch.
LSR General Chat / Re: 'Silent Steamer' or 'Vaporizer'?
« Last post by Stan Back on May 14, 2024, 04:41:26 PM »
I seem to remember (that's unusual for me) that it ran at El Mirage a couple times.

One of those "everybody stand back", whistles, steam, dust, small explosion and off like a horse leaving the gate -- tho it didn't go very fast.  Maybe this is just an old dream or something.
« Last post by 71GSSDemon on May 14, 2024, 04:25:50 PM »
After building several scoops that "looked right" but didn't work we hired Dave Woodward, Woody, at Design Dreams to design one for us. It took me a month to build it but It works! and with some better sealing to the engine air box it should be better. You can find Woody's contact info on the Landracing web site.

Rex

Thank you for the reply.  I will check it out.
« Last post by 71GSSDemon on May 14, 2024, 04:23:54 PM »
This is a subject that will make your head hurt, lots of black magic on inlet size. Also the air box and what takes place in it will also make your head explode. Lots of smart guys that will be willing to help out. Good luck!

I know all of the aero is black magic.  It hurt my head typing it... 
« Last post by Rex Schimmer on May 14, 2024, 12:31:51 PM »
After building several scoops that "looked right" but didn't work we hired Dave Woodward, Woody, at Design Dreams to design one for us. It took me a month to build it but It works! and with some better sealing to the engine air box it should be better. You can find Woody's contact info on the Landracing web site.

Rex
« Last post by deepindebt on May 14, 2024, 09:26:00 AM »
This is a subject that will make your head hurt, lots of black magic on inlet size. Also the air box and what takes place in it will also make your head explode. Lots of smart guys that will be willing to help out. Good luck!
« Last post by PorkPie on May 14, 2024, 06:25:44 AM »
I talked with Skip about this out of the box idea, to my knowledge, it never saw the salt...the engine was used on several dragstrip for some fun and show...more fun than speed...as it were demonstration runs...see attachment
« Last post by kiwi belly tank on May 14, 2024, 12:36:20 AM »
Looks more like some sort of a dirt car to me than LSR material but we do have newbies that come along from time to time who don't have a clue! muutt
  Sid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10