Author Topic: There's a story behind my "retirement"...  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
There's a story behind my "retirement"...
« on: August 28, 2023, 08:26:56 PM »
...and it doesn't include any notion whatsoever that includes the concept of "voluntary".  I'll have more to say soon, but for now feel free to PM me to hear me tell you that I'll tell you the sordid details at another time.

Thanks for your curiosity.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online noboD

Re: There's a story behind my "retirement"...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 08:34:36 PM »
This sounds like it's going to suck!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 12:05:25 PM »
Can't wait to hear, tell us all SSS.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 12:49:04 PM »
Retirement from what? This website? Speedweek announcing? Curious minds want to know. I hope your health is OK.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 12:51:54 PM »
What Jon is talking about is the post that the SCTA put on their Facebook page;

All of us would like to thank Jon Wennerberg for the years he dedicated to volunteering for the SCTA & BNI. We wish him a happy retirement.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Online salt27

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 01:53:33 PM »
The SCTA lost a valuable volunteer.   :-(

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 03:34:55 PM »
Now they need to find a person who wants to fill Jon's spot and truck with the job of placing all the portable toilets on the Salt. Thanks for doing that job for many years Jon.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 05:34:45 PM »
Here's my response to the SCTA facebook post concerning my "retirement".

Top fan
Jon Wennerberg
It came as a complete surprise to me, too.

5h

Top fan
Jon Wennerberg
Perhaps I should explain: just before 6pm yesterday Heather Black called me to tell me that the Board met last Friday and decided that my volunteer services were no longer needed.
I?ll fill you in on the backstory later (but not on any public forum), but for now please know that I didn?t retire. My ass got fired.
If it comes to a p*ssing match about the ?retirement? - I?ll let you judge whose credibility is better.
PS : I have Seldom Seen Slim Funmeter buttons available for a donation to landracing.com. PM for details. Tnx.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline AJR192

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 06:08:33 PM »
SCTA removed your reply from their post. Gone.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 06:46:46 PM »
This is so hard to believe.

In fact, I can't even imagine what might be the reason.

(Come on, Jon, were those shitboxes full of dollars?)

Your commentary was easily the very best of anyone else that tried.  From someone who put in the hours, knew what it was all about, and filled the air tolerably in between the fast-paced actions on #1.

On top of that, sacrificed his vehicles to the cause.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Online noboD

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 08:24:58 PM »
I told you it was going to suck. I hate when I am right. If we were listening to your replacement a few short weeks ago I won't be spending much time doing that anymore.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 09:20:23 PM »
SCTA removed your reply from their post. Gone.

Oh my gosh I'm soooo surprised!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 11:42:11 PM »
Here's a post I put on Facebook a little while ago.   By the way - I would probably be saying and posting more about this, but we've got company and I'd rather spend time with Robyn Munro than having p*ssing matches with SCTA. 

Tomorrow I'm taking her to see our township transfer station.  I've been promising that excursion since she got here.  This week we also found the road that lead us to the guard house of an old-money club. (Huron Mountain Club - members include(d) such as Henry Ford, a Goodyear or two, and other drifters and ne'er do wells.   She was quite impressed by the cop car & deputy there visiting the guard house, so we left peacefully and with guarded haste.    Then we went to Big Bay and had lunch at a hotel (Thunder Bay Inn) where a good bit of the movie
"Anatomy of a Murder" was filmed up here in the 50s. Next:  I still have to get her to the lake so she can swim in Lake Superior.  Thursday's forecast looks promising - a southerly wind is predicted, and that'll help clear the remaining ice floes from the shore.

Back to me and the SCTA.  Here's the FB post:

No, girls and boys, I did not retire from volunteering at Bonneville, but rather got fired (my words, not theirs, but still quite accurate).  The stated reasons Heather offered when she called yesterday included a few things, but I got the sense that reducing costs by eliminating a (or perhaps more) volunteer was the prime excuse that they'd chosen to use as the basis for sh*t-canning me.  Of course, what with one cancellation and one funky event in the last two years it's easy to imagine them realising the need to tighten the corporate money belt.  By me not being there to stream and announce, and also not doing the porta-potties, they'll save about $2,000 (my guess at the cost of the room and other benefits the workers get).  That's not an insignificant amount - I yield the point.  I will, however, mention that for the last year or two a new trailer for timing slips and announcer was purpose-designed and acquired - and cost, so I was told a few times, of about $70,000.  You may, with careful study, come to the conclusion that they've spent the cost of 35 worker-events to build a new trailer that now they're not planning to use.  I hope the powers that be realise what image of competency - or lack thereof - they're presenting to the world.     Also ---  As you may know, Robyn Munro was at SpeedWeek as part of her first-ever trip to be at the salt where her gramps, Burt, once raced.  I had the best-ever time helping her see some of the Bonneville experience, and from there she went on to Sturgis to witness Burt's induction into their Hall of Fame.  After that her plans were kinda flexible - so she's been visiting Nancy and me for a spur-of-the-moment stay in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  From here she will visit another racer or three in lower Michigan before flying back to Kiwiland next week.  And there's no doubt in my mind that she'll be taking home many, many memories of Land Speed Racing and racers.  Unfortunately not all of them are good - she'll be carrying memories of this whole distasteful incident, too.  I feel bad that the best house guest ever (Bob and Joe, you won't believe how great it has been to have Robyn around for a nice stay) was witness to my expulsion for dubious reasons.      ROBYN:  The huge majority of LSR people are wonderful and worthy of being a good friend.  Unfortunately, I must acknowledge that this is not a universal attribute among racers - as you've now seen demonstrated. 

But then, maybe once the frustration and exhaustion of SpeedWeek wears off them they'll send me an "All is forgiven, Please come back soon!" call.                                                     

Yeah.  I'll expect that right after pigs fly out of my butt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 01:07:32 AM »

Jon... You have been a great announcer of cars and their times for years. How the board can rationalize
saving money by eliminating you over HOW MANY OTHER PAID VOLUNTERS?

A good friend of mine was let go  ''fired this year 'this year after many years of service.

Something is going on and I don't like it.

We need to get the minutes of the board meeting. find out who AND why this was brought up and who voted for IT.

JL222

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 01:11:01 AM by jl222 »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2023, 06:09:44 AM »
Jon,

thanks for all what you done  :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

especially your entertainment via the loudspeaker....

keep on trucking my friend
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)