Author Topic: Best Streamliner Ever!  (Read 4664 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: Best Streamliner Ever!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 03:26:16 AM »

There is something magical about the Summers Bros. first car, when they were just down to earth hotrodders. Nothing but guts and glory. I think if they would have continued with that car it would have evolved to a high 300 mph car. went over 320 with 700hp and 3 inch of tow in. Ken's car is FWD but nothing like the Pollywog.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »
Always a huge fan of the Larsen and Cummins streamliner. Amazing craftsmanship beautiful car. But there was still nothing like hearing over the radio "Heads up everyone next up is Al Teague"
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 03:07:06 PM »
Yep -- same could be said of the roadster . . .

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Online tallguy

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2023, 09:50:15 PM »
"Best" is not only subjective, but vague.
Best what?
Performance?
Beauty?

I have utmost respect and admiration for the folks who designed and built any of the very fast land speed vehicles (particularly streamliners).  I find all these vehicles to be absolutely gorgeous, and am impressed with the design and execution in each
case, without exception.

Since land speed racing is (at least in theory) about going fast, my idea of "best" would be based on the vehicle's
performance.  Yes, of course, its design affects its performance.  My vote for most appropriate design for the (achieved)
performance would tend toward the Carbinite special.  I am quite unhappy about its crash -- about 4 years ago -- , as I
had high hopes/expectations for this car to be the first wheel-driven vehicle to go 500 mph.  Based on what I read, it
appeared to have been quite capable of this.  Meanwhile, best wishes to Rob Freyvogel and his family as he continues to recover from his injuries.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2023, 10:48:40 PM »
"Best" is not only subjective, but vague.
Best what?
Performance?
Beauty?

I have utmost respect and admiration for the folks who designed and built any of the very fast land speed vehicles (particularly streamliners).  I find all these vehicles to be absolutely gorgeous, and am impressed with the design and execution in each
case, without exception.

Since land speed racing is (at least in theory) about going fast, my idea of "best" would be based on the vehicle's
performance.  Yes, of course, its design affects its performance.  My vote for most appropriate design for the (achieved)
performance would tend toward the Carbinite special.  I am quite unhappy about its crash -- about 4 years ago -- , as I
had high hopes/expectations for this car to be the first wheel-driven vehicle to go 500 mph.  Based on what I read, it
appeared to have been quite capable of this.  Meanwhile, best wishes to Rob Freyvogel and his family as he continues to recover from his injuries.

Amen!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Fabrizio T.

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2023, 11:51:50 AM »
My favorite ever :998 Nish Streamliner

Online tallguy

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 03:24:42 AM »

Okay, I've given this topic a lot of thought. I have taken into account the Huge number of records the Nebulus Therum cars have set. The legend status of Mickey Thompson and Danny.  the family aspect of the Burklands and the Nish bunch. I was there when Al made his last run with an exit of 430.  Of course George poteet is legend. Buuut...I'm going with the Summers Bros. Pollywog car. If it was brought up to current safety standards and had just a few upgrades and corrections (scrub) and  the Speed Demons 347 c.i. engine in it I believe it would go SUPER fast. That is the car I would replicate if I had unlimited funds and help. Next  keep it going.

From a streamlining point of view, I was very impressed with Rob Freyvogel's car.  I wish it hadn't crashed.

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2024, 10:52:57 AM »
Number 992 was pretty clean on aero.   SB
push truck driver

Offline Gary Freudenberger

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2024, 07:21:57 PM »
For me from an esthetics stand point I must say Fred Larson's car. Dad and I build a balsa wood replica for my pine wood derby car. Of course we got DQ'd because we didn't use the official block of wood that came with the kit.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2024, 07:43:04 PM »
Aerovelo Eta. 89.59 mph human powered.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2024, 09:00:54 PM »
Did your dad run it backwards?

Just kidding.  I sure miss him a lot -- so I'd guess it's so much more for you. 

In my case, he was just one of the bright, shining lights we come across on this trip.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline tauruck

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2024, 02:22:39 PM »
I like them all but hey I live in Africa!.
Tom's car sounded the best. 8-)

Offline will6er

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2024, 09:45:02 PM »
The first car I saw at the first car show I went to- Kenz & Leslie #777. ( about 1958)

Will Willis
XO/GC 6302

Offline 29Sleeper

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2024, 02:43:43 PM »
As a kid growing up on the 60s it's gotta be Mickey Thompson's Challenger. 406 mph has been burned into my memory since I was 10 years old. I strayed a little in the late 60s when I was able to see Goldenrod up close and personal.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2024, 07:28:16 PM »
For what my opinion is worth... Rob's "Carbaliner" gets my vote!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ