Author Topic: New to board. Need some direction.  (Read 2406 times)

stimoszyk

New to board. Need some direction.
« on: February 11, 2006, 08:11:51 PM »
Well I am new to your great site. I am a current nostalgia funny car owner/driver, and feel the need for a hobby. The flopper is like a job! Any how my father and I have a 53 Studebaker coupe that was run at El Mirage many years ago, and I would like to take it back. I have no idea where to start. I currently have several engine choices to choose from. One being an early Cadillac like it ran. I'm not looking to set the world on fore, just have some fun. Thanks for any help.

Steve Timoszyk
Detroit MI.

landracing

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 08:53:11 PM »
Steve,

Well as the owner of the site, I would just like to say welcome...

You will find that when you start asking questions, there will be a wide variety of answers.. We get you started in the right direction...

What you should do, since you are new to the site is in the build diaries sections you should start a new topic with your vehicle and post some pictures... This helps for those who can see what you are working on... I know I am a visual aide type of guy...

Most obvious answer to your question is start with a current rule book. The new rule book is due out soon from the SCTA-BNI.. Keep watching the site and I will announce when it is available...

Again welcome to the site glad you found your way here.

Jon Amo

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 12:00:46 AM »
Welcome Steve, like Jon says get a rule book asap. The approach your taking will work great, it will set the hook lightly then as you start running the car it will pull you in fully :lol: . If you are racing currently this will be a snap for you, run 2 days in May & Nov., 1 day in June, July, Sept., & Oct., and spend a week on vacation in Wendover Utah! sounds like just the ticket. Oh ya, you get nothing for it except life long Friends & satisfaction. Enjoy!!
Mike
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
new to board
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 10:14:13 AM »
Steve
Welcome aboard, A good friend of mine lives in the Detroit area and runs a streamliner at Bonneville. He is a retired Ford engineer and if you contact him I am sure he will be more then happy to help you out.
His name is Rick Byrnes and his e-mail is rick@rbmotorsports.com
Tell him Glen told you to contact him.

Like others have said if you have pictures or vehicle numbers we have the source to research some of the history of the car.

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

stimoszyk

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 03:46:59 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

The Studebaker was purchased new by Jerry Silberstein in 1953. He remained the owner until his death last year. My father purchased the car from the estate. I don't know a whole lot about Mr. Silberstein other than he had a passion for speed.

If anyone could give me a history lesson I would really appreciate it. Would also like to find some photos of the car in action.

Thank you.
Steve Timoszyk