Author Topic: BUB 2011  (Read 74387 times)

Offline Kiwi Paul

Re: BUB 2011
« Reply #240 on: September 03, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks Dan and Glen for filling in the gaps from what I had been told. I wasn`t at El Mirage for that meet, I think I had already moved one State North......but my point was to illustrate that there has been some History of fuel swapping/tampering. It seems a shame that there are people willing to do questionable things to wear a certain colour Hat, or get ones name in print somewhere....Land Speed Racing events get way fewer examples, but humanity being what it is........ :x :mrgreen:

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #241 on: September 03, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »
I feel the same way ... she is a real sweetheart. 

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »
The long ride home is over, mile after mile, wondering, questioning, thinking, feeling the pain of poor performance.
Next year, next year, gonna go faster next year.
A long ride home, thinking of moments shared with fellow racers and volunteers, meals shared with fellow racers and volunteers.
 Friendship is best when served with salt.
Getting another rider started and watching them go faster each pass. Sharing parts with other racers, who catch the new record.
The smile will still be there for a while. Next year, next year, God willing next year.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
Nancy and I were on the way home this afternoon when we got a call from a Bub's participant.  He told us of the intense racing going on in the AMA 1000 Production class, among other things.  He went on to report that one of the bikes gave an indication of "funky gas" or something, having been running strong 196-197.5 or so all week -- just like the other P/P 1000 bikes.  But then -- viola, the bike ran a 201 (and backed it up with a 199).  Maybe it was fuel, maybe not.

Not saying that I know what's going on, but there are different grades of gasoline available to run in the "gas" class. S/He could have drained their tank and had it resealed with spec gas that made the motor run faster. Production records don't have to be on MULB.

What is MULB??
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »
ERC, the fuel vendor for SCTA/BNI at Bonneville, makes MUL/B - and, according to this spec sheet -- MUL/A as well.  I don't know the difference between /A and /B -- but do know we use the MUL/B in the production high-compression motor.  It's got about 104 octane, I think it is, and nearly 3% oxygenated content.  Whatever I say is only memory -- here, look it up yourself:

http://www.ercracingfuels.com/ercMulA.htm
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
I dont think they make mul/b anymore. That is a definite maybe. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
« Reply #246 on: September 04, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »

Nancy and I were on the way home this afternoon when we got a call from a Bub's participant.  He told us of the intense racing going on in the AMA 1000 Production class, among other things.  He went on to report that one of the bikes gave an indication of "funky gas" or something, having been running strong 196-197.5 or so all week -- just like the other P/P 1000 bikes.  But then -- viola, the bike ran a 201 (and backed it up with a 199).  Maybe it was fuel, maybe not.
Jon, Master of All Things in English Class, but maybe not so much in French?  Did I really detect a spelling mistake in one of your posts?  No it cannot be.  I know that you were not attempting to say "Voila".  You really did mean to say "viola" because of the beautiful timbre and pitch of the engine in question with all four of its cylinders working in harmony just like the four strings of the viola.  Not the higher pitch of a two stroke sounding like a violin nor the lower pitch of a V-Twin sounding like a string bass.  Ahhhh, now I have a grasp of the situation and all is right in the world again.

Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
« Reply #247 on: September 04, 2011, 11:14:27 AM »
ERC, the fuel vendor for SCTA/BNI at Bonneville, makes MUL/B - and, according to this spec sheet -- MUL/A as well.  I don't know the difference between /A and /B -- but do know we use the MUL/B in the production high-compression motor.  It's got about 104 octane, I think it is, and nearly 3% oxygenated content.  Whatever I say is only memory -- here, look it up yourself:

http://www.ercracingfuels.com/ercMulA.htm
Wow, now I'm confused.  Just as you said Jon the MUL/A on the ERC site says it has 2.7% added oxygen component.  I guess I thought that when oxygen is added it was no longer considered gas but was now fuel.  When I add "a little oxygen" in the form of N2O for some reason it is considered fuel :wink:  So if we know what it is called, as the old joke said, "aren't we just arguing over the price?"  But I know that the 2.7% just makes the engine feel that Bonneville isn't really quite as high or hot as it is.  As I always say, we all play with the same rules.  But since we are all racing against history that is also why I get frustrated when rules are changed for non-safety reasons which either helps or hinders current racers beat old records. 
So I am really just saying I am surprised at the added O2 in the gas.  But since gas records have been set using it, then don't change it now that I am going next year :-D
Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #248 on: September 04, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »
Jarl, I think I'm safe in suggesting that you go back through all of my posts - to see if I've ever spelled the word correctly.  I mi-spell with malice aforethough, having fun with the unwashed masses.  You, sir, are the first one to callme ono it, though, and so you get the Gold Star for the day.  (Wish I knew how to draw a gold star here.)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #249 on: September 04, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
Dr J,

My understanding to be Legal in "gas class"  the Main stipulation is that you must buy the GAS from the on site event gas vendor...and have tank sealed... so if one or two of the choices from the vendor are oxygenated.. then that works,,,

Have fun see you in a few weeks...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline VeeTwin

« Reply #250 on: September 04, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »
I agree theres no class compliance checking at Bubs. I saw bikes in impound that were clearly illegal in their class like with an aftermarket pipe and air cleaner on a production bike and streamlining on a naked class bike. The only thing they ever check is motor size. I don't think the tech guys understand the class rules so they don't even bother checking for it. In fact I've seen them give out flat out wrong info when asked a classing question. They also don't enforce the rule about upclassing theres lots of cherry picking softer records. I like the idea of an all bike event and admire Bubs for putting it on but the tech is really lacking in this area and that makes the records not worth much. Drew should fix it.

Offline joea

« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
I agree theres no class compliance checking at Bubs. I saw bikes in impound that were clearly illegal in their class like with an aftermarket pipe and air cleaner on a production bike and streamlining on a naked class bike. The only thing they ever check is motor size. I don't think the tech guys understand the class rules so they don't even bother checking for it. In fact I've seen them give out flat out wrong info when asked a classing question. They also don't enforce the rule about upclassing theres lots of cherry picking softer records. I like the idea of an all bike event and admire Bubs for putting it on but the tech is really lacking in this area and that makes the records not worth much. Drew should fix it.

veetwin....THANK YOU for your forthcoming honesty....!!!!!

its likely you will get hounded about posting such opinion, and you likely knew that..

many of us love to immerse ourselves with up-to-date data..by the hour-minute and second, NOT only
the good but sometimes needed is the other stuff as well......it only serves to further enable un-desirable practices
if folks dont at times at least tactfully try to share concern...

Joe :)

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »
Not so sure that the classifications are soft in relation to production. Last year a record was recorded for a non production air cleaner.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2011, 04:16:14 PM »
So when does BUB post the event run sheets so I can see who went 201 in 1000 P-P on the "funky gas"
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline cranberryroo

• New folks
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
I think only records are posted, not all runs.