Author Topic: BUB 2011  (Read 74439 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: BUB 2011
« Reply #210 on: September 01, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
Came out this morning at 0 - dark - 30 ... course volunteers were in place early ... Joe ran and the exhaust gave up. Pipe broke off just at the turbo inlet. We went to impound and tore the engine down. We measured exactly as predicted and Cliff and Joe got the congratulatory hand shake from Drew Gatewood as new AMA  Bonneville Land Speed Record Holders.  Need to thank Dan and Lucille Dunn - NRHS Performance, Randy Smith - FRS Engineering, Ken Sailant - AMA, Dennis Manning - the original Bub, Delvene Manning - Speed trials by Bubs, the course volunteers, tech inspectors and everyone that participated. Great event. Now that I have been inspired again I have to get the bike together for Loring.

Offline joea

« Reply #211 on: September 01, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »
anyone else run today....?

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »
Oh yeah - Lars set a new record, Leslie Porterfield, Klockwerks, Higgins and Waters, Buell Brothers

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #213 on: September 01, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »
Anybody know the Top Speed for the meet?
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline fjlee

• New folks
« Reply #214 on: September 01, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »

I was on the salt thru Tuesday evening Aug 30th.

I saw Al  Lamb  #1979    1000-MPS-BF  Honda throw down  down a one way of 231.023 mph

I  “heard”  that he later went faster than that, but  have no details.

I do have an intuitive feeling that someone probably went faster than Lamb’s above  pass……….

Lee C.  in Denver CO

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »
at the time Al Lamb ran it was announced that his 231 was the fastest of the meet so far ...

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2011, 11:35:38 PM »
I am home from BUB and unpacking. Al Lamb may have been the official fastest, but I am absolutely sure I was the unofficial "fastest". My engine threw a rod way before the timing tower and I coasted through at 210. That really felt like a good run and the bike was going so fast I couldn't see much because the wind force was forcing my helmet against my eyes and distorted my vision. I had my new bodywork on and had good hopes that it would help with a good speed. Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to the fact that the open area where the forks are forced air up through the body right into my helmet. That area should have been sealed somehow.

Oh well, next year.
Thanks to all the BUB volunteers. They were all very helpful and made everything run smoothly this year.

Don, BUB 2011 unofficially the fastest. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
Does anyone know what speed Steve Burns GSX Suzuki 1350 ran? #798 MAG1350 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »
Nancy and I were on the way home this afternoon when we got a call from a Bub's participant.  He told us of the intense racing going on in the AMA 1000 Production class, among other things.  He went on to report that one of the bikes gave an indication of "funky gas" or something, having been running strong 196-197.5 or so all week -- just like the other P/P 1000 bikes.  But then -- viola, the bike ran a 201 (and backed it up with a 199).  Maybe it was fuel, maybe not.

But when the bike was protested (and forgive me for perhaps getting the story mixed up -- I was driving - - but the gist of the story is about right, I think) - the officials were pretty easy on the competitor that was accused - saying that they would test the fuel when they felt like it.  They wouldn't let the accuser protest the bike and runs - 'cause the protested wasn't the rider.  So the rider was presented to protest -- and that didn't go well, either.  Well, sooner or later -- the entrant that owned the bike in Impound elected to withdraw the bike and allow the record to continue unclaimed -- thereby forever making further investigation of the fuel (and everything else, for that matter) impossible.

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, and will be willing to be corrected if you have better or more accurate details.  Nancy and I wonder, though -- what rules and sanctions does SCTA for knowingly violating the gas-class rules - by running an illegal gas?  Ejection from the event?  Ejection from Impound?  A shake of the finger and a shouted "Naughty, naughty"?  And so on.  I do remember, I think, that a protest may be filed with the officials in Impound by the transfer of a $100 bill, which either goes to the bike under protest if it is found to be legal after all -- or back to the protestor if the bike is found to be illegal.

But what else can happen?  Dan - is there a procedure and a rule that discusses this?  I've looked in the rule book and don't see one - at lest, I don't see one yet.  Let us know, please.  Thankee very mooch.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
Looks like I left too early on Thursday ... the fun was just starting

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2011, 10:05:32 PM »
Yeah, but I bet they couldn't sleep at night or look themselves in the mirror in the morning.  That's, apparently with some, the best policing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:24:25 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #221 on: September 02, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
I know what happens when you go outside the cones and return to the course.  I'd hate to think what would happen if you used fuel instead of gas in the gas class but drawing and quartering comes to mind.  : - )
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline dw230

« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »
Well Jon, there is a SCTA-BNI protest procedure in your rulebook, page 11, section 1.I.

The record must be protested within 24 hours of certification. That way it ensures that someone at the event is on-site and (hopefully) aware of the details of the record. If someone wants to protest a record 2 or more weeks following the event they are SOL. A gas class entry MUST use ERC provide event gasoline and run with a sealed tank which is checked a minimum of two times.

Protests are handled as soon as possible, we cleared a car protest at Speed Week within 36 hours and awarded a record.

A situation like the one reported is the exact reason that the Bonneville 200 MPH Club does not recognize AMA records. If FIM Charlie is on-site and certifies the record the rider will awarded all due honors for the FIM record.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:31:40 PM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #223 on: September 02, 2011, 11:47:38 PM »
I remember a number of years ago hearing about a Streamliner that set a Gas Record on Fuel, drained the tank at the 7 mile, then appeared at Impound with Gas refilled in the tank. I don`t know wether that was pre sealed tanks, but I recall that the Team was banned for life. Memory may be suspect here, as the Driver is back and driving another Streamliner, currently....I`m sure you remember that incident, Dan...

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
....... and a fast stream liner at that.  :-o Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”