Author Topic: vespas and lambrettas  (Read 2947 times)

n8murphy

vespas and lambrettas
« on: February 10, 2006, 03:41:43 AM »
i am a scooter mechanic in MN and i was wondering about land speed records and rules for scooters. i am currently building one and need to find a place to race it. any info would be helpful.
thanx,
         Nate Murphy

Offline hitz

vespas and lambrettas
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 12:42:28 AM »
am a scooter mechanic in MN and i was wondering about land speed records and rules for scooters. i am currently building one and need to find a place to race it. any info would be helpful.
thanx,
Nate Murphy
[/color]

Nate, I'm sure the bike guys must already have a class for your scooter. :roll: Get a SCTA rule book and look it over, I bet you would have a ball at Bonneville. Good luck!

Harvey

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
vespas
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 03:54:35 PM »
Maybe for time only.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline D-Type

vespas and lambrettas
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 07:11:05 PM »
Did you know that back in 1950 or so, Lambrettas set some World (ie FIM) 125cc class records?  I've also seen a photo of a Zundapp scooter setting a record on a banked circuit somewhere (Monza or Montlhery maybe) in about 1960.  I'm afraid I can't remember more than that.  

So you could be eligible for a classic, historic or vintage class if such a thing exists.  Not knowing anything about the rulebook, I wonder if a scooter could run as a 125, 150, 175 or 250cc motorcycle, but it would be totally outclassed.

If you sit on the back seat of a standard 1960 Vespa 125 and lie so flat that you are looking under the handlebars, it is 7mph faster and will do 49mph   :)
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Scooter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 12:05:57 PM »
Go to the BUB website www.speedtrialsbybub.com.  Last year there was a stand up scooter job that ran, and ran pretty well.  The BUB event is two wheels only so I think you may find a home there.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
vespas
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 12:28:30 PM »
You need to send this request to the SCTA for their input., as I see it there is no classes for motor scooters. USFRA, ECTA and the Texas Mile may allow them for time only.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah