Author Topic: Exhaust Flow and Aero  (Read 125749 times)

Offline superford317

Re: Exhaust Flow and Aero
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »
i thought eventually i would get someone to comment on the suction if i kept pointing you in the propper direction. it took longer than i thought it would.
very early on i made the comment about (if turbochargers can be used to produce thousands of HP they can be used for many things)
supose a vehicle running in a NA class but with a turbocharger to pull suction on the body at strategic locations, only where required to improve body airflow at certain areas, this would be very easy to do,perforated panels where the aerodynamics are the worst, running various hoses to different parts of the body as required.
you will loose some power running the turbo, but as i like to say, double the speed and quadruple the drag, again a little loss at the turbo for a gain in aero.
if you will read and try to understand a lot of what i say and imagine applying it to different parts of the vehicle and its various subsystems, a lot can be done.
imagine the vehicle being composed of hundreds of different packages assembled to form the whole, most of the packages can be manipulated in your favor for big gains in the end.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:06:33 PM by superford317 »
Constructing a 1000hp turbocharged bellytank

Offline kiwi

« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »
...superford this is really groovy stuff....!!

..you mentioned "I have constructed many winning race cars from the ground up and consulted with the teams after they were on the track and winning"....

would you be so kind as to share abit on "one" of the many cars and its winning..ie a team name...where did it race/compete..possibly a pic as you have made it look easy sharing MANY other pics....

..also....you mentioned  re: "i was doing some CFD and wind tunnel testing for some government research"...what year was that and which tunnel....?..

thank you in advance..

Joe

Hey Joe. It seems to be falling on "deaf ears", "blind eyes", or something like it :-)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:21:26 PM by kiwi »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »
i thought eventually i would get someone to comment on the suction if i kept pointing you in the proper direction. it took longer than i thought it would.

It had nothing to do with you "pointing in the right direction", it had a lot to do with you not mentioning a well known and far more practical method of boundary layer control and dwelling on surface heating which in my humble opinion is one of those theoretical options that in real life are way too complicated for this application.

On the salt, the biggest challenge most of the car builders have after developing sufficient power,  is trying to keep the internal temperatures of their vehicles within manageable limits and figuring out how to cool things off with little or no internal drag.

Many of these cars are on the ragged edge of heat stroking the driver or melting components like hoses, wires and such due to high internal temperatures. Piping hot exhaust and hot coolant water around the inside of the body is a complication most of these cars really need to avoid. Not to mention the safety implications of piping lots of 1100 deg exhaust and or 230 degree water all over the car, and what happens if the car crashes and sprays that scalding water all over the driver or develops an exhaust leak in an unfortunate location.

Larry

Offline RichFox

« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
I think you would have a hard time sliding that turbine powered sucker through as Naturally aspirated. Somehow I think it would fall into the Turbo compound group

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »
Superford317, Im nobody and make no claims that I am. My opinion is that if you dont identify yourself very soon and verify your claims of vast knowledge you will be quickly losing your audience. In enjoy reading your ideas but Id feel a lot better if I knew you werent just some j@ckoff like we've had post on here in the past. I mean no disrespect but the crowd will be turning against you shortly if you fail to follow my advice

Offline dw230

« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
Get your pitchforks and fire brands at the ready.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
Thank you DW.

MeGawd!

Even the MODERATOR has joined the villagers heading for the castle!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
Superford, you're starting to look more like a stock Taurus with a big hole in the muffler. Step up & show us your stuff!! :evil:
  Sid.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2011, 10:23:57 PM »
See the fine print.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline joea

« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »
.....i certainly feel that anybody should be able to post here "without" disclosing
identities or "anything" else that others might demand...!!!

..i do like to be able to have open discourse...in the process of discerning how much stake
i may choose to put into information....and generally in conversation...say someone says
"chgghsbhshshs" and "snbfddfh" "i know this d/t my extensive experience gnn snhshhs"...

i would in normal conversation form an appreciation for the info and where it is coming from especially
when it could potentially be applied to contraptions that folks put their loved ones in....

when folks offer up of their own volition (sp?) their accomplishments and case reports of their experience i might like to discuss aspects of that as a topic of interest for further info and appreciation......certainly folks shouldnt be "obligated" beyond their own comforts to share in the conversation....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:34:07 PM by joea »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2011, 01:43:23 AM »
This is an interesting topic.  There are safety issues with this, such as heat, coolant scalding, carbon monoxide poisoning, smoke or oil from the exhaust hindering the drivers vision, etc.  It might be a good idea to look at other ways to go faster and to discuss those.

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2011, 04:21:33 AM »
The largest, and most obvious issue with suction as a way to control boundary layer is that the holes traditionally used for that are likely to plug quite rapidly in the salt environment.

IIRC the navy tried it in the late 50s or early 60s, and they had the same issue, even with the maintenance schedule they had for experimental aircraft (read as S***LOADS) they couldn't maintain the system on one aircraft to where they could rely on it (done for low speed handling improvements, so having it not work, and not be able to tell, untill the aircraft stalls on one side, at too high a speed).

Or at least that's what I read about it.

There was a company at one poit in time that was selling titanium leading edges for select Cessna wings (I haven't heard of them since the "recession") that were laser drilled for the same effect (came complete with an STC, and a large vacuum pump).

I've only seen one of these systems in person, but the owner, and all others I've heard from say the bane of them is they get packed full of bugs, and are a PITA to clean out.

I've mentioned the same issue several times in a row as any of the cars on the salt hhave a coating of salt on any area with a negative pressure, even after only one pass,

I personally have no issue with cleaning the car after each pass, but it would be dificult to get small holes to clean in a timely maner, and large holes would be difficult to supply with enough flow to generate the necessary boundry layer reduction.

If you have a suggestion as to how to avoid that issue, or clean the systems out faster I would love to hear it.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »
I was paying attention to Superford until I saw that he used "loose" when he meant to spell "lose." One of my internet pet peeves.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
reverse that sucker and flush and blow  :-D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:06:41 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »
I didnt demand anything, I merely advised him. What he does is up to him, I just pointed out that he is losing his credability is all.