Author Topic: Window Film  (Read 6052 times)

Offline 64avanti

Window Film
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:43:41 AM »
It has been stated that window tint is not safety film.  So what film is considered acceptable?

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Window Film
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:53:23 AM »
There is a clear film we use down here in Florida to cover windows to reduce the amount of glass flying in Hurricanes. It comes in a few different Mil thicknesses. I was going that route but just decided to replace with Lexan this year. I can ask our window tint guy at the dealership and let you know. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked him. On the upside it has some UV blocking characteristics too. Which might prove to be a good thing at Bonneville.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:20:00 AM »
My problem is this: If they say that it needs to be "safety film" then it needs to be defined by SCTA.  In other words what product is acceptable.

Last year most of us had tint film and that was accepted.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »
Most places that do home or business security handle a clear window film that is designed so that the bad guys have a much more difficult time breaking through windows. You might want to try that.

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »
There is no defined  film product by the SCTA because the none passed the tests. This is why the rules have been changed to plastic windows.

Search previous threads for options such as the motorhome stuff suggested by Brian last year.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »
From the Rules Correction link at www.scta-bni.org

3.U WINDOWS AND WINDSHIELDS:
All non-stock windows and windshields shall be made of shatter-resistant plastic, such as polycarbonate (Lexan), and
shall provide 120 degrees of adequate vision forward. On all open body cars a windshield is recommended, but shall not
restrict driver entrance or exit. In all classes where a headrest fairing is permitted, the windshield may sweep around the
driver’s head and connect to the fairing on either side (see 3.E Driver’s Compartment rule concerning sharp edges).
All windshield wiper blades and arms shall be removed. On front and rear windows, retaining tabs or straps are required
over 175 MPH.
Vehicles with T-Tops or moon roof panels shall have the panels retained with tabs or straps.
All vehicles over 250 MPH shall replace all non-laminated safety glass windows with polycarbonate
material. All other glass, such as headlights, must be covered with SAFETY film.
Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles in classes where the record exceeds 200 MPH must have all nonlaminated
safety glass windows replaced with polycarbonate material.
Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles with “frameless” side windows, regardless of speed, must have all
non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material.
Additional bracing must be installed to prevent window blowout or collapse.
Added from 2010 rulebook, in effect for 2011:
All Vehicles shall have all non-laminated safety glass windows with safety film ON BOTH SIDES, or replace
the windows with polycarbonate material.

Now, Based on what Dan said above, there isn't any SCTA approved Safety Film.
Therefore If it isn't Polycarbonate or Laminated Safety Glass, you don't run at El Mirage or Bonneville. Makes it simpler actually.
BUT!
What do we do about the Headlights? I'm not being facetious, in some of the Classes you have to have headlights, no decals allowed.
Headlights have to have Safety Film.
There isn't an approved Safety Film. we have a conundrum.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »
Last year went through inspection with window tint film like everyone else.  The rules are the same for this year.  So now what?  SCTA needs to define what they will accept for this year. 

Many but not all of the products sold as safety film are no different than the tint film.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »
   If you passed tech last year with tint film on both sides, it will be OK this year. Next year, All bets are off. Polycarbonate will solve the problem, and answer the questions. I wouldn't try to go through tech next year with anything less.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »
Maybe it's late and I can't read but what I think I read was

Beginning Jan 1, 2012  cars in classes with records over... 200  all "non laminated safety glass" must be replaced with polycarbonate /Lexan,,,,

Does this mean if your car has a "laminated safety glass" windshield or back glass they will be Ok ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »
yes Charles, that's right. It's the safety glass that shatters into little 1/4 inch balls that is hated.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
It's the non-laminated, tempered "safety" glass that breaks into the 1/4 inch balls instead of sharp shards.
Laminated "safety" glass is two sheets of glass with plastic in between. It can shatter and still hold together as a sheet. Remember the accidents you have seen where someones head went into the windshield.
Need to check carefully to see what you have. I know as far back as 58, Chevys had single pane tempered rear glass.
If you don't know what you have, you might go to a glass shop that has replacement windows for your vehicle. The laminated glass is obvious, looking at it from the edge, you can see two separate sheets of glass bonded together.
YMMV roadsters don't got no stinkin winders

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »
"If you passed tech last year with tint film on both sides, it will be OK this year."

This statement has been made more than once during all the discussion on the issue. It is also a true statement. If in doubt use section 16 of your rulebook and call someone who is either tech or your car type committee. Thats what the section is there for.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline manifest

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
Ok, we have thick clear film on the outside of our side and rear glass in the production car.  We have window tint on the inside of these same five windows.  DW, are we clear for take off or do we need to have the "safety film" on the inside also?  This has really been a headache for us to get a straight answer and we are getting close to time to load up and head west.

Zach

Offline jdincau

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
Ok, we have thick clear film on the outside of our side and rear glass in the production car.  We have window tint on the inside of these same five windows.  DW, are we clear for take off or do we need to have the "safety film" on the inside also?  This has really been a headache for us to get a straight answer and we are getting close to time to load up and head west.

Zach

If you want opinions, ask on this forum. If you want a decision, ask the Chief car inspector Steve Davies (714-671-9454)
flyingkiwi@aol.com
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline manifest

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »
Thanks jdincau.