Author Topic: Kent Fuller is going to finish his flat head liner:  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Kent Fuller is going to finish his flat head liner:
« on: February 07, 2006, 03:22:11 PM »
I just read on the Rodding Round Table site that Kent Fuller is working on finishing his monocque flat head powered streamliner. If you haven't seen this Fuller creation it is really something. Kent formed the complete thing from 10 gauge steel plate! and it is narrow, low and slick. It sounds like Keith Tardel is going to do an unblown flat head for a starter and they are trying to make the 2006 meet. It will be interesting to see how this car goes through tech as there are certainly some ideas that have probably not been tried at B'ville before.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Kent Fuller is going to finish his flat head liner:
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:35:21 PM »
Quote from: Rex Schimmer
It will be interesting to see how this car goes through tech as there are certainly some ideas that have probably not been tried at B'ville before.

Rex

First time I've ever heard that!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

landracing

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:43:13 PM »
we need pictures.

jon

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
Re: Kent Fuller is going to finish his flat head liner:
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 04:53:58 PM »
Quote from: Rex Schimmer
It will be interesting to see how this car goes through tech as there are certainly some ideas that have probably not been tried at B'ville before.

I think Mr. Fuller is prepared for some scrutiny. It wouldn't be the first time he's tried someting groundbreaking (read: revolutionary).

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
kent fuller
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 06:19:34 PM »
Arn't the Herbert Steen and the Jeff Shipley streamliners mono cock type construction with bolt in cage's basically the same thing. They are aluminum not steel but seems to me they are rolled 3/8" full length body sections. No tubing frame members.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »
I stole the following pictures and text from Mike Bishop.  Please forgive me Mike :wink: :

I don't have any recent pictures of the 'liner but will be taking some next week. Here it is when it was first rolled out into the sunlight at Tardel's about four years ago.

Upside down on the rotisserie in Fuller's shop, two years ago. It still has the single 'chute tube. Fuller has since reworked the rear of the hull to fit two 'chute tubes as the rules now require. Previously the two 'chutes were arranged in tandem in a single tube.

This rendering of the 'liner is of the first configuration, with the blown motor. Fuller designed and built a front-drive for the blower to keep the hull as "clean" as possible.

I'll be shooting more pictures next week to get back into documenting the build now that it's active again.

Mike

You can find more discussion on Rodding Roundtable ( HERE ).

c ya, Sum

Offline AJR192

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 07:21:25 PM »
The Shipley saltwinder has a regular frame. Fuller's car sounds neat. Hope it is out there this summer.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
kent fuller
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:33:23 AM »
AJR192
I got an e-mail from Jeff Shipley last night regarding his chassis. It is a monocock chassis. No tube frame. I can send his response to you if you wish. I have watched this car from the begining and just want the facts from the man.
Glen :lol:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline AJR192

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
Sorry Glen. My mistake. I know better than to argue with someone who has been there as long as you have. And that is not meant to be an insult.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
kent fuller
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 04:39:03 PM »
Hey, no problem, As I was involved in the rescue operations for many years I try to look at all of the new cars to see how they are built and if necessary how to cut one up to get to the drivers for extraction. I have known Jeff for many years and for an old fart he is still very sharp and a tad on the nasty side, he can still stand his ground. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you the chassis specs he sent me.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah