Author Topic: FIRE DRILL?  (Read 3395 times)

Offline RICK

FIRE DRILL?
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:22:06 AM »
I know I've read diffrent posts from time to time about 'shop safety'. But who else has ever done this:  Last night I was down in the shop cleaning up my mess before the boys came in this morning. With crusty wheel bearing grease on my hands, and the sink at the other end of the shop, I sprayed some 3M BRAKE CLEANER on my hands and gave them a quick rub, and then followed with a red shop towel. I picked up 6 or7 wrenches, a few sockets, a Makita drill driver, ratchet, etc, and was headed for the tool box when for some reason I sqeezed the trigger on the battery powered drill and POOF! I JUST SET MY HAND ON FIRE!
 I dropped everything and wiped the fire out wih my other hand and POOF!  Now they're BOTH on FIRE. I wiped them both in my arm pits and they were out. It happened so fast that if it wasn't for the smell of burnt hair,,,

With that little wake up call I'd like to invite everybody to look around your own place, be sure it's a safe enviroment, cause freaky wierd stuff really dose happen.

thanks Rick

ps Don't call the shop today,,, cause we'll be havin' a fire drill.
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline D-Type

FIRE DRILL?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:41:59 PM »
:lol: I know I shouldn't, but I just had to laugh when I pictured that!

Well, cooking my dinner the other day, I managed to set the oven gloves on fire so I suppose I'm on your wavelength.
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
FIRE DRILL?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 05:54:43 PM »
Rick thanks for the reminder.  It is amazing how fast crap can happen.  I almost had my house done and we were fixing meals in the sun room on a camp stove hooked to a large propane bottle.  One of the connections was loose and when the stove was on the leaking propane caught on fire.  I had immediate visions of the house I had been building for 2 years going up in flames.  Luckily we got it out with no damage.

My favorite though is a friend of mine who was living in Alaska at the time was painting on his street rod and upset a quart of thinner that went down the front of his pants.  Needless to say he felt his private parts where on fire.  He ran in the house pulled his pants down and was in the act of trying to get some relief when the house cleaner walked in on him :D.

Can you say an embarrassing moment for the both of them :oops: .

c ya,  Sum

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
...pants
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 06:06:17 PM »
A friend of mine had a similar exp.  filling an outboard whilst standing crotch deep in the water , he spilt a bit and of course it floats....got him well  :oops: .Sum's story is the best excuse I've heard for a while and brings to mind the line "it's mine and I'll wash it as fast as I like" :lol:

On the subject of 'shop safety ..beware of Steel wool , one spark can start a very hot fire.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Bob Drury

FIRE DRILL?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »
Hey, it happens to the big boys too.  Two weeks ago at Tuscon, Ron Capps crew sprayed the whole chassis and motor with brake cleaner at the end of a day of testing, and something ignited the entire package.  Luckily, they only lost all the wiring and hoses, as the body was off....
Bob Drury

Offline russ jensen

brake clener
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:41 PM »
:) I quit using  toluene based brake cleaners, the non flamable probabley is worse from health stanpoint[clorinated] but at least I havent burned anything  up with it, If you spray it through a aceytelene/oxy flame it makes cool phosgene gas though, probably would do same with any type of heater with open flame{I have outside boiler:waste oil] so no problem, If you ever get a whiff of phosgene you can see why it was a favorite in ww1, works good on woodchucks and other critters though.  russ
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline }{ead$hot Zod

• http://FriedDiesel.blogspot.com
FIRE DRILL?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 05:35:04 PM »
I hate it when BOTH your hands catch fire. Thats when you find out who your real friends are. I can just picture my foreman saying "you need to put your hands out......REALLY?......oh...... let me find a wet towel or something, hey.. weren't you late from lunch yesterday........"

glad to see you are ok #-o
1992 Dodge D250 Cummins running biodiesel and waste vegetable oil.

#284 ?/DT

"I don't do use drugs but my truck does"
->Stage III Meth injector.

http://FriedDiesel.blogspot.com

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
FIRE DRILL?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 11:13:35 AM »
40% ether will do that. evaporative time to non-flammable for ether sounds like it is longer than a few minutes!
be careful. I have no desire to treat any landspeed racers in my burn center. we treat enough drag racers as it is!