Author Topic: Motorhomes at Speedweek.  (Read 8090 times)

Offline bharmon77

Motorhomes at Speedweek.
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
This will be my first trip to Speedweek with a motorhome. I need some advise, I understand that you can camp overnight at the bend in the road, do you need a reservation to do this? Also can you park your motorhome next to your race car in the pit area? Any other help would be appreciated.

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
Re: Motorhomes at Speedweek.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
yes and yes.......but you can't stay in the motorhome on the salt at night. you have to go back to the bend.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
There is absolutely unlimited free parking for campers, RVs, tents, and anything else at the Bend in the Road.  NO FEES of any kind.  No services, either -- save for a few porta-potties and dumpsters for garbage (please use both as appropriate).

You may drive your RV to your pit at any time the course is open - if you've got a pit area access button or tag for it.  Otherwise you'll have to park it in the spectator parking area and hoof it the remainder of the way.

You may leave your RV at the pit overnight -- but you may not occupy it.  NOBODY is allowed on the salt at night -- except security people.  Patrols scour the entire race course area at closing each night to make sure that there's nobody remaining.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:37:14 PM »
Also can you park your motorhome next to your race car in the pit area? Any other help would be appreciated.

Or... you can use your motorhome as your race car!  It cuts down on space requirements:   :-o

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »
Streamliner I am sure glad that my brother doesn't frequent this site it's his motorhome and he would probably try it!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
I can't imagine how much tubing he'd need for the cage inside to meet the current rules!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »
Streamliner, thats just tooo coool, that big tub got right along!!
Check this out, entertainment plus from the Pom's.
  Sid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkAxbeMxVo

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »
Kiwi Belly Tank....that's some funny sht!
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 09:52:29 PM »
I really like the moho packing the left front. Did ya check out the bus racing??
  Sid.

Offline jauguston

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:39:19 PM »
If you take any pride in your motorhome at all DON'T drive it onto the salt. You will find salt has gotten to places you won't know about and it will eat your MH up. The salt is damp and mushy in places and sticks to everything. We left ours in Wendover and drove our Samurai toad onto the salt each day after spraying Salt-Away all over the underside. That was in 2006. I still have rust from salt showing up.

Jim

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
A while back maybe 5 yrs ago? At WOS, there was a GMC motor home that actually raced. It seems like I remember it going almost 100 mph, I would say it was a 28 foot not for sure about that, kinda cool though.

Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Avanti Dan

• Going to Bonneville to fill my Bucket List item #4
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 11:55:58 PM »
World of Speed last September an early GMC motorhome with BBC power. 120 mph. Loud and looked cool at speed. Ran in the 130 club competition. No cage needed.
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:50 AM »
Imagine rolling one up in a ball on the salt, it'd put down a lot of tooth pics!!
  Sid.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 01:19:17 AM »
I saw a motor home like that in the median off of I eighty in 1971, three hundred yards of tooth picks and aluminum, just before the SF exit.

Steve 
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 02:32:12 AM »
Kiwi Belly Tank:  Great video.  The "no bumping" rule reminds me of my brother and I, as pre-teens, chasing each other on our minibikes around and around and around the house.  Similar endings to our races, too!   We'd race until either something or someone broke.   :-D

The GMC looks like it was called the project TVS-4 (‘Travel Vehicle Streamlined, model 4’). For maximum grunt, it dropped in a mighty 455ci V8—an engine that also powered the ’68 Toronado. It looks like it was the 23' model, but I'm not sure.  In 2007, it looks like it went 106mph. (Google info, so it may not be accurate   :?)

Tremulis' 26' Travoy was powered by the identical engine, so the similar results is not surprising.  Here's a quick build-up:

Yada, yada, yada...   Then here's a couple full-size prototypes:

Yada, yada, yada...  The next thing you know, you're in a brochure illustrated by famed futurist Syd Mead:

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com