Author Topic: 1000cc P-P record - chains  (Read 12287 times)

Offline nrhs sales

Re: 1000cc P-P record - chains
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 01:07:10 PM »
Wrong or they just haven't been caught yet? :-P

Offline sabat

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »
What's done is done. But the original thread-starter might have shown up, set a record, and been denied at impound after getting bad info from John. That would be a bummer for him.

Offline sabat

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »
Maybe the take-home message here is to always CONTACT THE SCTA about rules questions.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
Even the SCTA was not clear on this matter until now..thanks for Van Butler and the motorcycle committee for making a clear stand on this.   :cheers:

Offline joea

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:26 PM »
factory installed accessories are legal...but dealer installed oem accessories are not..now that
is an area for some potential fun...especially if your tight with a lsr friendly company...

i have to say...this will remain one of my favorite battles to follow...."production"....

Joe :)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »
I am glad this was clarified. I am currently running a 520 chain. If I ever go back to production, which is always on my mind, this clears up a grey area I have pondered over. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline **RP**

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 09:23:23 AM »
I contacted SCTA tech official to clarify non o-ring part of chain question.  Yes you can run non o-ring in production.   :-o
Below is the dialog:

Question:
In production classes is it legal to run a non 0-ring chain if the bike came from the factory with a O-ring chain ????

Answer:
    Yes it is if it is the same size that came on the bike new, but I must caution you.  We just had a bad crash at El Mirage and it looks as if it was because of a non O-ring chain.  History has shown us that non O-ring chains never stop stretching.  I have personally seen them fail (with bikes that have 70 plus horsepower) on several occasions.  Turbo Busa every  run eating a aluminum sprocket. M class Bussa  snapped chain on the second run.  750 Suzuki, the chain came off of the rear sprocket at speed (chain flex )and went down, 3rd run on new chain. Please check with your chain manufacturer about non O-ring chains and running over 70 horsepower.  Hope this helps.

Van
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »
I have been running a non o ring chain from the beginning of my busa project. I have 220+hp and many 200mph runs. Never a problem. I lube it after every run, and keep it adjusted properly. :cheers:
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
Fred, are you running a master link on that chain?  I tried running no o-rings in 2009 and the new chain lasted two runs.  I couldn't keep the oil in it. 

Shoulda seen it when it went hahahhaa.  After the run (I think about 206ish) it had 2" of slack and had changed color from gold to a burnt copper color.   :-o
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 03:00:12 PM »
Shane, I do run a master link. I really lube it heavy, after every run. It is messy but works.  I use Bel Ray black label. Safety wire and silicone the master link clip. I have lost several.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
P-P and Roadsters  :-D  :cheers: I have had 2 seasons as a P-P crewchief  just going to have to have me some roadster time!!  lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:34:58 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
how do yu safety wire a master link clip :?  got pics?

Offline Warp12

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I'm going to hijack just a bit here - rather than start a similar thread.  We're running a production bike and would like to take advantage of the rule allowing the ride height/ground clearance to be within the factory specs.  I can't find a spec - inm the owner's manual, in the literature, etc.

Good news! I found it:

It is in the factory service manual as 4.92 inches of road clearance:

I also found a link where you can download or view the service manual online:

http://the910ths.com/zx14.html

It also has overall height and seat height. Hope this helps! Us Kawasaki guys need to stick together. :-D

Shane
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:03:17 PM by Warp12 »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »
No pics, you just wrap th safety wire aroun the end plate and clip, in the middle between pins, make a few twists with sw pliers and your done.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
The specification for "road clearance" is not clear. Is it the maximum (unloaded) clearance, the minimum clearance the bike squats to when Big Bubba and his 300 pound girlfriend get on the seat? Obviously the suspension has stops for swingarm up and down movement.
So I don't think the clearance can be express as a single number. What the P-P racers should be shooting for is to find out the very minimum possible clearance the unmodified suspension can go, and then adjust it for that number. As long as it is a documentable figure, the inspectors should not have a problem with it.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer