Author Topic: 1000cc P-P record - chains  (Read 12283 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: 1000cc P-P record - chains
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
I'm going to hijack just a bit here - rather than start a similar thread.  We're running a production bike and would like to take advantage of the rule allowing the ride height/ground clearance to be within the factory specs.  I can't find a spec - inm the owner's manual, in the literature, etc.  I've looked and found that there is apparently a range of heights - and that implies to me that there is some adjustability.  Yes, that might mean that the height varies with the load/weight of the rider, or might mean that there is some allowable amount of adjustment or setting.  But can I find it?  Heck, no.

Tom Evans take on my question is that the information is available.  But he didn't send that stuff to me and I don't know where to find it -- I've looked quite a bit over the past years.  If you think you might be willing and able and interested in helping me -- please PM or email me so I can get some resolution to this "quest".  Thanks.

Back to 1000 PP chains.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 05:32:23 PM »
What bike are you talking about Jon? Your ZX-14?
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
for "Overall Height" the specification is on Page 10 of your "OWNER'S MANUAL".  But that does not give you a range just an Overall Height and a "Road Clearance".

In response to Fredvance.  I have been there and I feel your pain.  MV drove me nuts trying to defend against their rumors and comments.  They even called the SCTA and told them their dealership in No Salt Lake installed an N20 system on my bike.  I about fell over from shock and it took 2-3 hours in tech while the tech inspector looked for it at World Finals.  Production Class racers need to be CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. 
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »
Randall -- I'll certainly be looking once more at the owner;s manual, the shop manual, and anything else I can find.  But since I've looked for a few years -- I wonder why I haven't found it.  The sales brochure says there's some adjustment available - but I've not found anything else about the clearance - not what it should be, what the range of adjustment is, nothing.  I'll keep looking - and so, I'm sure, will Tom Evans.

Thanks to all that have tried to point me in a good direction.  When I find something that I think is what I want -- I'll letcha know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RansomT

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 11:43:02 PM »
This is the class that I always have found to be .....hmmm, interesting.  I ran Production motorcycle for several years at ECTA and LTA and had the opportunity to run Production car at Bonneville a couple years back.  While running at WOS and as pit crew at Speed Week, I saw a lot of Production bikes run.  Like most, I take the Production class very serious and made sure that my bike looked exactly as if it was setting on the dealers showroom floor (with the exception of the safety items), so close that a factory trained tech couldn't tell it from a factory bike. Also, ECTA and LTA (ECTA techs) takes Production class just as serious.  Frankly folks, I was "taken back" by some of the Production class bikes I saw run at WOS and Speed Week that I could tell wasn't Production.  Now none of those bikes set a record, so it's a mute point, but I was surprised.
Maybe I take it too serious ....... Or I am missing something.

And my God help me for posting this .... Incoming......

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 02:19:15 AM »
This is the class that I always have found to be .....hmmm, interesting.  I ran Production motorcycle for several years at ECTA and LTA and had the opportunity to run Production car at Bonneville a couple years back.  While running at WOS and as pit crew at Speed Week, I saw a lot of Production bikes run.  Like most, I take the Production class very serious and made sure that my bike looked exactly as if it was setting on the dealers showroom floor (with the exception of the safety items), so close that a factory trained tech couldn't tell it from a factory bike. Also, ECTA and LTA (ECTA techs) takes Production class just as serious.  Frankly folks, I was "taken back" by some of the Production class bikes I saw run at WOS and Speed Week that I could tell wasn't Production.  Now none of those bikes set a record, so it's a mute point, but I was surprised.
Maybe I take it too serious ....... Or I am missing something.

And my God help me for posting this .... Incoming......

How many of those LTA and ECTA record setters were fully inspected and had the engines measured?..What was not legal on the bikes you saw run at WOS and SW?

John

Offline RansomT

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »

How many of those LTA and ECTA record setters were fully inspected and had the engines measured?..What was not legal on the bikes you saw run at WOS and SW?

John

Mainly non OEM lowering links and exhaust (headers) that was disguised with header paint.

And as a very friendly comment, cause I like you John, I agree on the engine measurements.  What we need, even though it's not in the rulebook, if so requested a full inspection so there would no question.

Offline joea

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
Ransom, remember...the tech inspection at SCTA that gets vehicle approved to make
runs is largely safety and a quick once over for class.....AFTER qualifying for records
the scrutineering nails down specific class adherance.....ie engine displacement isnt
measured until record exceeded to insure legality....similarly for fuel...

"not verified until qualified"...etc..

so many a vehicle can display a certain class designation and make runs with
features that may not be allowed in a record situation...

Offline RansomT

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »
Ransom, remember...the tech inspection at SCTA that gets vehicle approved to make
runs is largely safety and a quick once over for class.....AFTER qualifying for records
the scrutineering nails down specific class adherance.....ie engine displacement isnt
measured until record exceeded to insure legality....similarly for fuel...

"not verified until qualified"...etc..

so many a vehicle can display a certain class designation and make runs with
features that may not be allowed in a record situation...

Yes, I understand.  I am actually placing the comments toward the owners/riders.  If I am going to run Production at Bonneville, "I" would make darn sure it was within class.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »
"AFTER qualifying for records
the scrutineering nails down specific class adherance"

I believe that's why some choose to run in September when there's not so much competition around to look them over.

If you get tired of bikes, you all might try Street Roadster -- I think you're ready.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc:   257.1 kg (566.7 pounds)
Seat height:   800 mm (31.5 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Overall height:   1,171 mm (46.1 inches)
Overall length:   2,169 mm (85.4 inches)
Overall width:   759 mm (29.9 inches)
Wheelbase:   1,461 mm (57.5 inches)
Fuel capacity:   21.95 litres (5.80 gallons)

This should be the Factory Produced Height specification for the ZX-14.
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Offline *RP*

• New folks
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 05:50:04 AM »
Did anyone get an answer from tech official as to legality of non O ring chain yet?
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
Did anyone get an answer from tech official as to legality of non O ring chain yet?

And chain size - e.g. changing from 525 to 520.

Guess I could ask for myself, huh.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
For those of you that don't look at the home page of this website - I'll paste the news note here, too. 

Monday, 27 June 2011
Here's a bit of news from Dan Warner.  Please read and note if you're planning on running bike at an SCTA or USFRA-sanctioned event in 2011:

The Motorcycle Technical Committee has been working on 3 rule clarifications. This is how Tom and the Inspectors have interpreted the rules for some time. This will stop some confusion and make an even playing field.These are NOT RULE CHANGES.

RULE CLARIFICATIONS:

7.E  Factory installed options are acceptable.
        Distributor or Dealer installed OEM options & accessories are NOT acceptable.

7.E.1.12  Front and rear sprocket number of teeth is optional. You must RETAIN OEM chain size.

7.E.1.2  Passenger footrests and brackets shall be removed. Brackets must be retained if holding a muffler or other part
other than the footrest.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »
P-P... did it come from the factory with that chain?  Don't remember it saying you can change the chain size, just the rear sprocket ... and of course the front if it is out of view.

You can run any chain size you want to, the fastest P-P 1000 bike runs a 520 non oring chain...the lightest/thinest chain you can run with nearly 200 rear wheel HP is the best for the application.  :cheers:

Thanks Slim, I just read the update.

Soooo, I guess the info above was wrong.