Author Topic: 1000cc P-P record - chains  (Read 12286 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: 1000cc P-P record - chains
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »
OK, I don't know which way the board will rule if the record holder protests the chain size if you break the record and the record holder is there and lodges a protest.  What's your zip code Pinto...  :roll:
Send the question in and get the answer in writing, then you are covered
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sabat

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 11:52:45 PM »
...and please post the response you get for others  :cheers:

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 01:00:09 AM »
I ran a stock DID 530 o-ring chain with the o-rings removed and it did run fine.  197.007 mph for one pass at world finals 2007.
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Offline Randall Parker

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 01:09:12 AM »
Page 111 on the 2010 rule book.  "The motorcycle must appear identical in all respects to the production model it represents,"  I was told that if it doesn't say you can do it specifically in the "Production rules" you can't do it.  I probably would not run a 520 chain on a Production bike.  As a Tech Inspector I would get Tom Evans for a second opinion at least then we would talk about it.  I'll bet it won't fly in Production.

Offline joea

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »
a chain with orings removed doesnt "appear" stock...:):)...

nor do most aftermarket chains, gold colored plates etc, nor do most "sprocket" changes
resemble stock...though sprocket and chains are allowed to be changed so
abit of a grey area...ie a 520 chain and sprockets could given careful selection
resemble stock more than many 530's with different color and plate thickness
aspects and aftermarket sprockets of varying alloy colors/appearance etc...

Joe :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:27:39 AM by joea »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »
a chain with orings removed doesnt "appear" stock...:):)...

Joe :)

That had to have been a chore... how'd you get the orings out? just slice and dice?  The same size chain it came with appears stock to me, but like i said earlier, get it in writing... ya never know which way the wind blows.
Stainless

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »
Must appear stock from what distance?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »
Must appear stock from what distance?

.001" to infinity.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Randall Parker

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 11:59:44 PM »
Production is the most scrutinized class that I know of.  Follow the rule book to the letter, then call Tom Evans for clarification of all grey areas.  Many factory teams and dealership teams use the Production records they achieve to market their products and they can be very aggressive about competition.  Make sure you have a legal Production bike if you are planning on breaking any records especially in the exceedingly high profile 1000 P-P class.  No grey areas is my recommendation.

Offline *RP*

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 05:19:11 AM »
And some teams like to file protests :cry:
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline JackB750

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 06:39:10 AM »
As the 750 P-P record holder I thought it appropriate to weigh in here. My GSXR750 came from Suzuki with a 525 chain and when we set the record in 2010 it was also with a 525 chain - the stock size. However we didn't get to that point without some angst. I ran the same bike in 2008 and 2009 in a variety of classes and always with a 520 chain set - including P-P at Speed Week in 2009. We failed to set the P-P record in '09 but after the experience (it's called "learning") I spent a great deal of time over the winter staring at the rulebook and at the bike. Regardless of what other people might have have advised I ultimately concluded that the rules clearly didn't allow a chain size reduction (although they specifically allow a rear sprocket size change) and that I had no idea how I could possibly defend a protest on same. Out of respect for the prior record holders and with a literal interpretation of the rulebook we went back with the 525 in '10, got the record and felt good about it. A side note...when we went through tech in 2009 for P-P my tech inspector was Randall Parker who was at that time the 750 P-P record holder. I suspect he noticed the 520 chain but he never said a word. Class guy and a great racer. On reflection, kinda glad we didn't get the record till the chain setup was "right."  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:43:33 AM by JackB750 »
PerformanceWerx-Chasing Motorcycle Land Speed Records ;

Offline joea

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
...factory bike removing a speedo drive is illegal...a factory oring chain with the orings
removed doesnt look identical....or a factory bike that came with oring chain..now running non-oring chain doesnt "appear stock" and
"possibly" has a performance advantage...to me abit of a grey area....

let me say...i think the production class its entrants and its competition are some of most
exciting highlights for me each year....Randall and Jack and so many others make it
super awesome to follow...!!!!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 09:21:48 AM »
P-P... did it come from the factory with that chain?  Don't remember it saying you can change the chain size, just the rear sprocket ... and of course the front if it is out of view.

You can run any chain size you want to, the fastest P-P 1000 bike runs a 520 non oring chain...the lightest/thinest chain you can run with nearly 200 rear wheel HP is the best for the application.  :cheers:

The rule reads. "The motorcycle must appear identical in all respects to the production model it represents"
Although it is unlikely that a tech inspector would know what bike came with what chain, there is a good chance that someone else running in the same class would.
And of course now it's on the forum, the tech guys will probably be looking at more than just the joiner link
I would hate to be kicked out of impound for having the wrong size chain on my bike
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
Production is the most scrutinized class that I know of.  Follow the rule book to the letter, then call Tom Evans for clarification of all grey areas.  Many factory teams and dealership teams use the Production records they achieve to market their products and they can be very aggressive about competition.  Make sure you have a legal Production bike if you are planning on breaking any records especially in the exceedingly high profile 1000 P-P class.  No grey areas is my recommendation.

When we lost the 1000 P-P to MV Augusta I noticed they were not running a rear fender... Found the parts manual online, it showed a rear fender, printed it out, gave Tom $100 and the info.  They sent the C back to me and said it looked like the protest would be upheld...  But by the time the board met to rule, MV aware of the protest and already advertising as the fastest, changed the manual to rename the rear fender as a license plate bracket  holder assembly.  They presented the new parts manual to the board, in person... MV got the record....  :| We would have lost it the next year anyway, to Randall or MV....  :-o  records are meant to be broken... technology facilitates that.  
Good luck with your effort... if you get that record and hold it more than a year or 2, you have done well.  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »
In 2009 when I was prepping my bike for a run at the 1350 PP record if I thought something was a grey area I didnt do it. I had a question about the exhaust system, I posted it here and emailed Tom Evans, both told me no? So I didn't do it. Later someone said I cheated, with the exhaust, not to my face of course. At some point I may bring the bike back, in production triim, and try and bump the record. If I do I hope this person will protest me. Of course he wasn't there when I set the record and doesn't seem to come to Bonneville anymore.
Sorry for the rant.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing