Author Topic: "Ground Effects" Tunnels  (Read 34994 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: "Ground Effects" Tunnels
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
Sparky,
According to Katz, "Race Car Aerodynamics" for a car with a shape similar to yours, a long round tube with an aero nose and tail, minimum ground clearance should be in the range of .03-.05 of the length of your straight section, so if your car's section between the nose and the tail is 100 inches long the minimum clearance should be 3-5 inches. What is happening is that the air traveling along the body to the rear of the car is probably turbulent and this causes a pretty dramatic increase in the thickness of the boundary layer and if the boundary layer begins to contact with the ground it will cause separation of the boundary layer from the body and this will generate trailing vortices's which expand and therefore cause more of the attached boundary layer to separate and greatly increase drag. Low looks great but it is slower.

Rex 
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 09:25:01 PM »
I really have enjoyed reading this thread, as downforce has been on my radar relating to my streamlined sidecar. My outfit was designed with the use of a model in a wind tunnel in Christchurch N.Z. Due to the rough and uneven road selected for the record attempt there, a fair amount of downforce was built into the fiberglass body via an under body tunnel and an inverted wing form on the outrigger platform.
 I got some good still pictures at last years BUB, (thanks Scooter!), of the outfit at 180mph. The pictures show an amount of squat on the rear wheel that I would like to reduce. Question one, Is it Aero or is it Mechanical?? how can I separate the two? Question two, would filling in the tunnel of the undertray be dangerous to the balance of the outfit?
 I wish I was smarter :-D, but then I might not be having this much fun!

Offline Tman

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »
Sparky,
According to Katz, "Race Car Aerodynamics" for a car with a shape similar to yours, a long round tube with an aero nose and tail, minimum ground clearance should be in the range of .03-.05 of the length of your straight section, so if your car's section between the nose and the tail is 100 inches long the minimum clearance should be 3-5 inches. What is happening is that the air traveling along the body to the rear of the car is probably turbulent and this causes a pretty dramatic increase in the thickness of the boundary layer and if the boundary layer begins to contact with the ground it will cause separation of the boundary layer from the body and this will generate trailing vortices's which expand and therefore cause more of the attached boundary layer to separate and greatly increase drag. Low looks great but it is slower.

Rex 

Whats Katz say about flat bottoms Rex? In the same context as Sparkys round lakester.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
Tman,
Per Katz a flat bottom car should follow the same h/l, ride height over length, ratio of .03 to .05 mim. ride height. When you go lower drag increases, again per Katz. Jack Costella doesn't happen to believe this as is shown by ever time one of his cars sets a new record. 

Rex
Rex

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
Years ago when truck manufactures began to design toward better aero their mantra was to move the air only "once".
A lot of "stuff" that was experimental then --you are begining to see running up and down the higway every day now!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 08:57:24 AM »
Tman,
Per Katz a flat bottom car should follow the same h/l, ride height over length, ratio of .03 to .05 mim. ride height. When you go lower drag increases, again per Katz. Jack Costella doesn't happen to believe this as is shown by ever time one of his cars sets a new record.  

Rex

Be careful when you say lower is more drag.  In some cases yes, but not always.  Some cars like to be really low and others have a sweet spot that get better lower but there is a point that they might go too low and gain drag after a certain height.  In some ride height studies you can get more downforce and lower drag with the right attitude and configuration. Reading some of the posts it seems a lot believe that downforce = drag and that is not always the case. And some think that Katz book is general enough to apply to every type of vehicle, but I would be careful what you assume. You know what they say about assuming? Makes and ASS-U-M-E (makes an ass of you and me)

You have to know what the goal is for your type vehicle, class, top speed, and where your car is to start off.  I agree that landspeed racers should not use a wing or even ground effects (in most applications) at Bonneville.  The only time I would recommend a wing (high downforce config) is in a 1 - 1.5 mile like Maxton, TX, Loring when there is high HP and you need to get it to the ground in a hurry because you need the acceleration. Fact is that with the variety of vehicles in LS racing there is no right answer to a lot of questions.  Some things might work well on one type of vehicle and not others.
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
care to comment on round bottom vs. flat bottom  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline jl222

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 02:21:50 PM »

I wonder how Fast Freddy's 386 mph lakester could go without the wing?
  Somethings wrong here :evil:

JL222

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »
care to comment on round bottom vs. flat bottom  :?

I prefer round bottoms.  :-D :-D :-D Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »
Thanks, Tony -- you saved me from having to say that. . . :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »

I wonder how Fast Freddy's 386 mph lakester could go without the wing?
  Somethings wrong here :evil:

JL222
You are comparing apples to oranges. Freddies car is not mortal.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:18 PM »
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More than half the HP is inertial - you still have to accelerate the lead!   You don't have to accelerate down force!   

You have to push hard against both but there is a balance or sweet spot in all things! "

When one has as much HP as FF does you have to get it to the ground-------- Remember a lot of the FUEL guys run to the 3 and click.  :?  they get to run more often that way, as in a back up run. 8-)

Offline jl222

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More than half the HP is inertial - you still have to accelerate the lead!   You don't have to accelerate down force!   

You have to push hard against both but there is a balance or sweet spot in all things! "

When one has as much HP as FF does you have to get it to the ground-------- Remember a lot of the FUEL guys run to the 3 and click.  :?  they get to run more often that way, as in a back up run. 8-)

Know this...Freddy ran to the 5

JL222

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
Dave, (A2WindTunnel)
Katz is talking about just aero shaped bodies, for the "round" body he is talking about an aero shape, i.e. symetrical wing section, for the side view and an oval shape in cross section. The flat bottom shape is 1/2 of an aero shape in side view with a flat bottom. Neither is encumbered with wheels, tires, axles, etc the things that a typical Bonneville streamliner or lakester would have. I would speculate that a lakester designed with the wheels far enough away from the body could come pretty close to this configuration. (See pictures of the Aussie lakester)

I do agree with you that individual cars, especially NASCAR shaped cars, probably like to be ran as low as possible as they have pretty "dirty" undersides and lowering effectively reduces frontal area. I am not sure that I agree you can have free down force with out drag, I would wonder if you have seen these results that it might be more a function of your tunnel design, i.e. no moving floor, no wheel/tire rotation and less than optimum ratio between the car cross section and the tunnel test area cross section (blockage).

One additional note regarding generating down force with a body that is wing shape in side view, similar to the NACA airfoil shapes both symmetrical and also cambered, will generate down force simply by running them close to the ground.  No angle of attach is required. This is because as you lower the shape the air flowing on the bottom has to gain velocity because it is required to travel through a restricted space, this increase in velocity will cause the pressure on the bottom to be reduced (Bernoulli strike again!!) and this generates down force. Again if you lower it to much, such that the boundary layer of the body begins to interfere with the ground plane it will block the flow and the down force will go away.

Sparky, the comment "More than half the HP is inertial - you still have to accelerate the lead!   You don't have to accelerate down force! " is mostly BS, when you get to the speeds you are looking for, 300 mph+, the inertial loads are very small compared to the aero loads. The basic equation for force to accelerate is F=MA which is a linear equation, the equation for aero force is a function of the velocity squared and the required horse power is a function of the velocity cubed!! These forces rapidly pass the inertial forces. If you have huge horse power and are looking to run a big number, 400+, then you may be concerned about inertial acceleration because if you can accelerate faster it will give you a longer time to overcome the aero forces at the target speeds. This would only pertain to Bonneville and not El Mo or the eastern mile tracks as acceleration is important at those tracks.

Rex  
Rex

Offline Tman

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 01:34:55 AM »
So, whats the bottom of Speed Demon/Flatfire look like?!?