Author Topic: Maxton, NC  (Read 3529 times)

deadbolt

Maxton, NC
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:32:17 PM »
Trying to get some more information on the Maxton, NC events.  Anybody have a phone number or email address for the event organizers, or maps to the event location, or a list of hotels in the area?  

Sorry, I am a horrible over-planner.  Very interested in attending an event as a spectator before I bring the car out for the first time, but a little nervous about driving across the state without the proper information.

Thanks in advance!

landracing

Maxton, NC
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:34:43 PM »
You can try ECTA-LSR.com .. Keith Turk is the event director and he frequents this web forum to help people like you out.

Ask away on this message board and you will get the answers you need.

Jon

deadbolt

Maxton, NC
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 03:38:31 PM »
Wow!  You guys reply quick!

Very nice!  Thanks a lot, I will give that a shot.

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
Maxton, NC
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »
Wow, last summer I drove out there from Texas on two weeks notice. No hotel.. no map... I figured if I couldn't at least go cross country with no planning, I had no business there. ;)

Your way sounds much less "exciting". Not that it's a bad thing. :)

Which car are you guys taking?
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Deadbolt/Maxton
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 08:44:25 AM »
Lots of the racers stay at the Pine Acres Lodge in Laurinburg:  1 800 348 8242.  There are many other lodging places in Laurinburg -- not a whole heck of a lot in Maxton, which is only 5-7 miles from Laurinburg.  Call early to get your reservations -- not only will the Pine Acres get full (tell 'em you're an ECTA racer and you get a little lower rate, too), but it's a college town, and sometimes all of the motels fill up.

Jon was right about going to the ECTA site -- there's a link on the home page of landracing.com

Are you thinking of the 1-2 April event?  That'll be the Hot Rod magazine car event, although all racers, even us two-wheel-types, are welcome.  Details are at the site.  going as a spectator the first time isn't a dumb idea -- and you can always do some volunteering and earn a few brownie points while you're learning the other details.

Driving all the way across the state?  Whoa, you're aren't afraid of piling on the miles, are you?  (It's 1,200 miles each way for us to get there, but that's another story).  We look forward to seeing you at the track.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

deadbolt

Maxton, NC
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 11:10:02 AM »
Quote from: TheRipler
Wow, last summer I drove out there from Texas on two weeks notice. No hotel.. no map... I figured if I couldn't at least go cross country with no planning, I had no business there. ;)

Your way sounds much less "exciting". Not that it's a bad thing. :)

Which car are you guys taking?

I am not a fan of excitement in that manner. :lol:

I prefer to get my excitement in the car. ;)

We are just starting a build, trying to be the first Subaru powered vehicle to run over 200 MPH.

deadbolt

Re: Deadbolt/Maxton
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 11:11:22 AM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
Lots of the racers stay at the Pine Acres Lodge in Laurinburg:  1 800 348 8242.  There are many other lodging places in Laurinburg -- not a whole heck of a lot in Maxton, which is only 5-7 miles from Laurinburg.  Call early to get your reservations -- not only will the Pine Acres get full (tell 'em you're an ECTA racer and you get a little lower rate, too), but it's a college town, and sometimes all of the motels fill up.

Jon was right about going to the ECTA site -- there's a link on the home page of landracing.com

Are you thinking of the 1-2 April event?  That'll be the Hot Rod magazine car event, although all racers, even us two-wheel-types, are welcome.  Details are at the site.  going as a spectator the first time isn't a dumb idea -- and you can always do some volunteering and earn a few brownie points while you're learning the other details.

Driving all the way across the state?  Whoa, you're aren't afraid of piling on the miles, are you?  (It's 1,200 miles each way for us to get there, but that's another story).  We look forward to seeing you at the track.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Will probably try to shoot for the April event if possible.  I own two businesses so it can be hard to get time away, but I am going to do my best.

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
Maxton, NC
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 03:26:31 PM »
Quote from: deadbolt

I am not a fan of excitement in that manner. :lol:

I prefer to get my excitement in the car. ;)

We are just starting a build, trying to be the first Subaru powered vehicle to run over 200 MPH.

That should be a very interesting build. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.  8)

BTW: All my excitement was in the car. I drove the scoob there and back, old school style. Good times. :lol: Probably not an option for a 200mph beast.
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Maxton stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 04:11:38 PM »
I own two businesses so it can be hard to get time away

Man, what's wrong with your businesses?  I own one business/four divisons -- that why I CAN get away -- they run better without me at the helm.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

deadbolt

Re: Maxton stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 08:17:13 PM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
I own two businesses so it can be hard to get time away

Man, what's wrong with your businesses?  I own one business/four divisons -- that why I CAN get away -- they run better without me at the helm.

I guess you could say I have control issues. :lol:

I worked very hard to get them to a certain point, its almost like letting go of a child sometimes.

Offline RICK

Maxton, NC
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 08:52:26 PM »
Sometimes managing is more like 'babysitting'  But I think you're both right. Every time I have to [or get to] go away for a few days I'm worried I'll come back to some diaster, but things probally go smoother with out me.
  I just looked at the map. Wendover is 1439 mi, Goliad 1042mi, Maxton is only 894mi. I just might have to try it.  Does it flood there?
  In 2004 I had a car just about ready to go when I got envolved with a labor dispute with the Machinist Union. Federal medeator said 'don't leave town' but on a cooling off period, I called those people Wm Shattner works with. And on one days notice the wife and I flew to SLC, drove the rental car[just over an hour] to the World of Speed.
 When I asked questions on this forum, I got answers/opinions and the advice that "maybe you should go out and take pictures,ask racers and observe before you try to race the salt yourself."   So I did.

My wife, Kathy asked Seth Hammond "What advice would give to a first time racer to best be prepared"   After a few seconds he responded, "Be prepared to be disappointed"

Thanks,   RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.