Author Topic: Bikes on way to Australia  (Read 34590 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: NO SALE SLICK
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2006, 01:53:25 AM »
Quote from: JackD
I already outfitted them at cost with sun dials that are more environmentally friendly. I got them to them cheap because they only work in the day time and who cares what time it is if you can't run anyway in the dark.
From what I understand even walking is out of the question after dark. :wink:

Yep, Jack got me mine and I am told it will work great in oz,  Thaks Jack!

J

Offline hawkwind

Re: NO SALE SLICK
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2006, 02:12:56 AM »
Quote from: JackD
I already outfitted them at cost with sun dials that are more environmentally friendly. I got them to them cheap because they only work in the day time and who cares what time it is if you can't run anyway in the dark.
From what I understand even walking is out of the question after dark. :wink:

Thats good thinkin Jack ,but you forgot that they are calibrated for the nothern hemi ,and will require calibration for the southern hemi , this service IS available at the lake for a small consideration  :wink:
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Not so fast
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2006, 02:48:11 AM »
We went to extra lengths at a suitable cost to be sure they would not only work upside down but be calibrated. They were carefully handled inside the suit coat jacket worn by the vendor (Jose) and all hung in neat rows.
We also got a good deal on a bulk purchase of wedding bands because we figured that most of those guys are not actually married down there. I would suggest they be rentals because it avoids the explanations to customs and anybody else that might ask about them if our boys bring them home.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
You guys crack me up!
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2006, 10:31:04 AM »
Just got back, on the web, ran across this thread, I am ROFLPIMP.
You aussies need to visit here more often, livens up the place a bit from the usual chatter and salt slinging going on.......

[/img]
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: You guys crack me up!
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »
Quote from: Mike Meierle
You aussies need to visit here more often, livens up the place a bit from the usual chatter and salt slinging going on.......

[/img]

Time marches on.
Want to buy a watch, get married, divorced, or get around to that little operation you have been putting off?
 Apply here.
 They are having a 2 for 1 special on reproductive operations and you can get cut and trimmed in the same visit. No waiting.
Advice and council is available also and comes with a beer.
The Drinking Laughing Racing Association (DLRA) of Australia is a full service agency for International Travelers. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: You guys up me crack!
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
Quote from: Mike Meierle

[/img]

...it's a bit like volley-ball ...sure we've made some nice smashes but the real champ is Mr D and his beautiful set shots ,wait 'til AFTER the wedding in March....then there'll be some stories!!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Clarification
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2006, 09:25:05 PM »
I would like to make clear  that the Pastor of Pace is multi-denominational but cannot abide by mixed marriages.

No Ford / GMH unions here, it is just not natural in the eyes of the Lord, (who drives a Chev).

Else, what happens on the salt stays on the salt, unless it happens on the track in which case you clean it up.

I am also surprised that no-one has mentioned the salt snakes yet. I know we had to keep it quiet for insurance reasons after the near fatality two years ago, but we should really warn them don't you think?

Reverend H+

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Bikes on way to Australia
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2006, 10:59:15 PM »
SHHHH Reverend,,you weren't 'sposta say anything 'bout the snakes  [-X
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WELL I KNEW
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2006, 11:03:59 PM »
The Exorcisms were suspended by action of the courts but did that include the "Snake Prevention" that was part of the package deal ?

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Snake prevention deal
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »
Only in Ireland.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Emerald Ire
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2006, 11:26:16 PM »
......"..only in Ireland..."

...careful Rev' now yr straying onto Jack's turf........or bog... , now about those snakes , was that a crack about my threatened avatar :wink: ...you know ..." that looks just like a , um , er , SNAKE ... only smaller..."
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
NOT TO WORRY
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2006, 11:49:59 PM »
It is small enough to be considered harmless.
Many of the flies even carry them along.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Bikes on way to Australia
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2006, 03:58:36 AM »
Not being an alarmist,but,,I just watched a news article on telly about an invasion of european wasps in Port Augusta.
These pesky little buggers are a bit larger than honey bees , but have a twitchy flying style, changing direction very quickly.
The problem with these wasps it they like to crawl into open beer & pop cans while your not looking, making your next sip possibly your last, (without urgent medical treatment)
Just be aware , and dont leave open drinks unattended in the Pt Augusta area , and lastly Dont try and kill them , because they put out a distress signal to their mates @ home, and before you know it,,you have a swarm of unwanted guests to keep you company
                   Not long now eh!  8-[
                             Cheers  8)  Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Not to worry
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2006, 08:05:38 AM »
Because of the threat you describe it has become the National habit of
 opening a container of refreshment with the teeth and consuming the
entire contents with one smooth motion.
That leaves no part full or unattended containers to be at risk.
Actually most of them were doing it anyway, but now that is the reason they give. :wink:

Offline Reverend Hedgash

salt walter crocodiles
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »
The wasps should be OK, just avoid Port Augusta but if you insist going in LOCK YOUR CAR.

Of a little more concern is as the lake dries up the salt water crocodiles habitat is reduced and they go on walkabout.

This shouldn't be a problem if the weather is cool as it has been for the past few years but if the lake dries completely then we could face a cancellation like back in '84 when the event was cancelled when the campsite was overun by bask of 5 metre long crocodiles and one doozy which climbed Steve's transporter (see photo.)

Swimming is banned in the winter months at Gairdner when the Lake is full which it didn't even get to half this year.

More info on the creature:

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/animals1/crocodile/asc.html

They are protected so that even though they can have a go at us we have to leave them alone.

Part of the Paramedics and time keepers tasks down the track iis to make sure no  crocs stray too near the track. It has been rumoured that Rod Hadfield's crash was caused by his tyre being punctured after running over a saltie at the two mile mark but no confirming evidence has been found.

Shouldn't be a problem but it pays to be informed.

Reverend H+