Author Topic: Bikes on way to Australia  (Read 34592 times)

landracing

Bikes on way to Australia
« on: January 26, 2006, 03:00:44 PM »
List Here is a note on the status of the bikes going to Australia reported from Mike Akatiff  

"We finished loading the container yesterday and the ship leaves today 1/18/06 for Australia. On board is the Top-1 Ack Attack, John Noonans 1350cc FIM record holder (253 mph subject to final FIM certification) the John and Joe Amo's 1000cc 245 mph plus bike all running for FIM Records we are also bring Jim Higgins Buell which will run DLRA.  Our itinerary once in Australia is as follows.

Arriving Adelaide on March 1st

Picking up rental vehicles on the 2nd

Loading stuff up for trip and traveling to Port Augusta on the 3rd

Arriving at the lake starting to set up pits on the 4th

Finishing the pit set up, set up FIM timing equipment and go over the timing equipment with your Timing Official and the FIM and MA officials. We would also like to let Sam Wheeler and John Noonan try some practice starts on the test track if possible on the 5th

If weather conditions permit we would like to run for FIM records at first light on the 6th.

Sam Wheeler will be in the ACK Attack for the first attempt.  John Noonan will be running his open wheel and the Amo brothers will be running their open wheel.  I have had several inquiries from motorcycle people in Australia on how to apply for FIM records and have given them the information but don't know if any will be running. If conditions remain good we would like to run again in the afternoon.

We will have a Satellite internet link at the lake and Jon Amo will be reporting events at his website www.landracing.com .   We will make it avalible if any of your people want to send results or infomation to someone."

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 09:21:43 PM »
I trust you guys have made the appropriate contacts in Australia, because that is a VERY aggressive schedule.  I mean driving from Adelaide to Lake Gairdner is about like driving from San Francisco to Long Beach, virtually all of it on two lane roads and the last 140 miles on dirt roads (WATCH OUT for the kangaroos and the wallabees!!!!).  Notice how many cars in Australia have huge steel animal guards on the front.

If your bikes are already unloaded and/or the container is being shipped all the way to the lake, then no problem.  But if you have to clear customs and all on the 3rd, then good luck.

And DO NOT FORGET to buy the little hat nets for the flys.  Unless your bug repellent uses asphalt as a secret ingredient.

And once again, DO NOT MISS THE AUCTION!!

Have fun,

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline promachine

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »
I envy you guys, you will have miles of storys to tell for sure.
Enjoy, I wish I could break away just to go watch.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

landracing

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 12:29:26 AM »
I guess you will just have to stay tuned to the website for updates and get your daily fix....

Jim
as for your post, all the arrangements have been made. Also Customs will be completed before we all get there... The company that shipped the bikes will take care of all that for us... We just have to be there to load the bike up then start the trave to the salt.

Jon

Offline hawkwind

soon
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 12:59:18 AM »
Jon I will be meeting up wirh you lot on the 2nd or 3rd in Adelaide to assist you to get to the lake , I believe Jim Higgins has plenty of space and between us we can get you there and back ok , I will need a mobile # and an address to contack you  email or PM it ,thanks
This year/summer  has been a scorcher and If it keeps up into March  expect temps in the 100+ every day , as it may be a bit of a shock  comming from minus temps , but after a couple icy cold slabs  you won't worry to much :wink: ,we all are looking forward to meeting you lot and seeing some real speed machines  :D
Gary
slower than most

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 01:57:46 AM »
soon blokes soon  :D
slower than most

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 03:34:42 AM »
Don't worry guys,,I've organised to make march  a national fly and mozzie holiday, so you won't be needing to wear those "silly" tourist type net hats.
Oh,,the flies will know when to leave the area, if,,as soon as you "hit the dirt" you crack a coldie (them's the rules :wink: )
                  Cheers  8)  Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
tour tips
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 04:39:00 AM »
Jim K is right about the drive except that it's only 100 miles of dirt , almost right about the flies but I'm worried his warning about drinking is one of those irresistable dares that could get everybody into trouble, in my experience everybody finds their own level(while your lying on your back check out the stars :shock:  :shock: )Do not attempt to "take on" Animal our time slip man until after the auction he runs , else he'll give you a public grilling .Don't drink tap-water between Adelaide and the Lake , eat a "pie" at your peril and drive on the left side of the road(everybody here does)oh yeah , when you feel the urge to use the phrase "Down Under" say "here"....you'll be fine , until you see the lake itself then we'll excuse you getting a little overexcited....

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." (Charles Schultz)
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Local customs
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 06:37:46 AM »
A couple of things. I was told the reason they drive on the left is the right side is full of foreigners.
As for the flies, you have to understand they don't get much to eat. The local trick is to condition yourself to taste so bad to them that they will seek refreshment elsewhere. The net deal they encourage for you is to keep the flies in. They play that same joke on all the Yanks. You can trust them like you can trust your mother. She was ultimately always in charge and you are never too old for her to spank.
Experience is the best teacher and I trust you guys will share that with us like never before.
At least we picked our best and brightest and not a bunch of car guys. (Big Boom here)
ENJOY :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 08:37:32 AM »
How am I missing out on this beer deal?

DW

landracing

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 08:58:36 AM »
Quote from: dwarner
How am I missing out on this beer deal?

DW

Your a car guy....

jon

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Have a great time!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 10:05:08 AM »
I can't wait to start hearing the stories, regardless of planning there will be "challenges". Keep us informed and take lots of pictures!! To many is just right!

Looking at the picture of the lake reminds me of the saying,"This isn't the end of the world but if you get up on your pickup's bumper you can see it!"

Have FUN!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
bikes
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 10:54:55 AM »
I think Dan is missing and a stowaway on the cargo container. Hope he has enough beer on board. Getting thru customs might be a challange if he's not listed as cargo on the manifest.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The view
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 10:55:35 AM »
Without the heat waves, you can see the curvature of the earth both ways.
With enough beer, it starts a lot sooner.
The best movie shot is when you can hear it but you can't see it, see it but you don't believe it, then it disappears again and you feel it but you are not there.
Just the sound of the racer is enough, but the reactions of the crowd of just a few is priceless.
You ain't playen to the stands for sure.
Glen was in a "Luxury Box" seat that can't be bought. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline joea

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 05:45:32 PM »
we dont have to toss our pee out  do we ..?