Author Topic: Head Restraint by DJ Safety  (Read 8226 times)

Offline Saltfever

Re: Head Restraint by DJ Safety
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
Actually, it was announced by SFI and is on their web site. HANS does not certify hardware. SFI does.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »
Since fasteners are often in life threatening assemblies consumers awareness is critical. 

I once purchased a batch of bolts for a critical application from a quality American supplier that we audited and self-certified. They were an outstanding supplier for years. We required certs with all fasteners even though it cost a little bit more. Luckily, we tested an application and had a catastrophic failure. Lucky . . . because it was a test, and not real-life with humans. Our design required grade 5 bolts due to their better elongation. An investigation showed some deception and a lot of ignorance along the audit trail back to the manufacturer. The bolts were marked grade 5 but actually tested at a higher tensile strength and brittleness. The Taiwan manufacturer had manufactured to grade 5 specs and came in a little low on tensile strength. They re-ran the batch through heat treat to increase the tensile a bit more. They all met the grade 5 tensile strength. Our American supplier also tested and accepted the tensile. The kid doing the test failed to record the elongation and only recorded the breaking point. Since strength was better than our required grade 5 everyone thought they were giving us a superior product. The Taiwan source also was not certified. They had fraudulently used the symbol from a certified manufacturer and that is why our American supplier thought they were legitimate. This case never went to trial because nobody was hurt and all our costs were covered.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
Saltfever;

I like to use MIL & aerospace surplus hardware when I can. The MIL/aero stuff that I've accumulated over the years was made before counterfeiting became a widespread problem. Also, those fasteners are comprehensively specified with size tolerances and strength specs. I'm very leery of "Grade 8" fasteners but I use them when I must. It's just that you are depending on too many unknowns with "SAE" stuff. Bolts made by SPS, Allen, Carr, etc are only "industrial" grade stuff but I've found them to be excellent quality to date. A few years ago I bought a packet of ARP hex nuts and found one nut that was missing the threads-- just a smooth round hole. Not inspiring quality.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 03:14:24 AM »
A few years ago I bought a packet of ARP hex nuts and found one nut that was missing the threads-- just a smooth round hole. Not inspiring quality.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ

I would've thought more of a quality control issue
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline jww36

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
If anyone is interested, I have a brand new, size large, Safety Solutions Rage R3 for sale. Paid $686, will sell for $525.
John

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »
I agree with Stainless, I've done a lot of work in the nuclear industry, and it is the same story as the aircraft industry.  The suspect bolt problem is the same, lots of paper work, and lots of increased expenses.  The worst part is that most of the expenses come from someone keeping their job.  Your having a coronary wondering if your going to get your bolts while the paper work is sitting in some nerds in basket.  When you finally get the bolts they are made in China, they just do not have the suspect markings.  :-o 

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Geo

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »
When I worked in China I sent one of the guys to the local hardware store to get some grade 5 6mm bolts to practice - learn - how to use a torque wrench.  They had never used one before.

We clamped a bolt in the vise and torqued the nut to what i though was a low setting... pow!  I would have expected a regular bolt from my local hardware store in the states would not have broken.  Well we  broke a lot of bolts that day. 

Geo

Then there's the spark plug story...

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »
Then there's the spark plug story...

Agggggghhhhhhh

I had a young bloke working for me in the bike shop I'm glad I don't own anymore.
He was putting plugs in a CBR600 of some description and had been doing up this one plug for a little too long
The good news was that it had broken off and we were able to get the broken bit out without too much fuss
He didn't stay long

I have to do some work on my Dads Caterpillar D8 this weekend involving the track tensioners
This thread helped convince him that genuine CAT bolts were a good idea.

Hang on , have we hijacked another thread

G

Offline Geo

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:33 AM »
Almost done with the hijack.  :-D

The spark plugs were packaged in "factory" boxes.  Toyota IIRC at a parts store, not the dealer. The plugs looked good at first glance but after a while with them laying bare on the counter they were not quite right. Logo on the upper part of the plug was not as crisp, edges not exact, etc.  So I asked for a heat range further away and looked into the lower part of the plug.  Asked for another heat range of the same manufacturer.  All were marked as the boxes were and were what I asked for... they were all the same heat range.  All made to one specification yet marked differently to cover the manufacturers range.

We did not buy the plugs. This happened with cigarettes, liquor, clothing, everything! We did lots of shopping and little buying.

Geo

efenn611

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
 :? :? :?  I thought this was supposed to be about Head Restraints.
And on that subject, I just got mine from Autopower, and it works better than expected.  No problem getting in or out, and easy to use.

:cheers: to DJ,   Ed

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
It was about head restraints but I bought a box of Champion plugs and one didn't have any threads, just smooth. Got mad and took it back.
Should have kept it for show-n-tell.
Ed

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do have a head/shoulder restraint question.

Is it acceptave to use this Kirkey system, along with the DJ restraint, if I mount it so that it cannot 'flex'? I'm looking at the 'short' system, so that the driver can exit easy.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=browse&code=Restraints

Thank you

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 03:13:30 AM »
3.A.3 Driver’s Helmet Support:
A forward, side and rear helmet support system shall be used in all vehicles.
Forward movement: All cars and motorcycle streamliners shall have an engineered and tested SFI spec 38.1 type head and neck restraint system.

I guess if it complies with SFI spec 38.1 and

Lateral movement: The seat or roll cage structure shall provide restriction to lateral head movement of less than 2 in. per side inclusive of structure deflection, and at a minimum extend to the forward most portion of the helmet

the answer is yes

Although looking at  how the rule is written

All cars and motorcycle streamliners

Maybe a comma

All cars, and motorcycle streamliners

Just there and the rule reads differently

G

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 03:27:43 AM »
When I worked in China I sent one of the guys to the local hardware store to get some grade 5 6mm bolts to practice - learn - how to use a torque wrench.  They had never used one before.

We clamped a bolt in the vise and torqued the nut to what i though was a low setting... pow!  I would have expected a regular bolt from my local hardware store in the states would not have broken.  Well we  broke a lot of bolts that day. 

Geo

Was that screw a 5.8 or 8.8 grade?  Metric 8.8 grade screws are like grade 5. 

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 03:53:39 AM »
3.A.3 Driver’s Helmet Support:
A forward, side and rear helmet support system shall be used in all vehicles.
Forward movement: All cars and motorcycle streamliners shall have an engineered and tested SFI spec 38.1 type head and neck restraint system.

I guess if it complies with SFI spec 38.1 and

Lateral movement: The seat or roll cage structure shall provide restriction to lateral head movement of less than 2 in. per side inclusive of structure deflection, and at a minimum extend to the forward most portion of the helmet

the answer is yes

Although looking at  how the rule is written

All cars and motorcycle streamliners

Maybe a comma

All cars, and motorcycle streamliners

Just there and the rule reads differently

G

Salient lesson right there folks.....however I reckon the plural rules out what you were thinking Colonel.....

"All car and motorcycle streamliners" means something different to "All cars and motorcycle streamliners"

herendethelesson
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.