Author Topic: ECTA records /2, /4?  (Read 15544 times)

Offline Koncretekid

ECTA records /2, /4?
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:01:16 AM »
I do not have an ECTA rulebook, but have just ordered the LTA rulebook, so maybe this will be cleared up.  I notice that in the records for motorcycles, many records are listed twice for the same class except for the suffix "/2" or "/4".  What is the distinction between these two records?
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: ECTA records /2, /4?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »
And there's another bike category:  /R.  ECTA separates 2-stroke, 4-stroke, and rotary engines for purposes of class distinction.  (SCTA does not make the differentiation).  At ECTA a Ninja 250 (stock top end about 100-110, depending on state of tune and newness, where a 250 2-stroke might run 140++.  It's a "bummer" for folks at Bville with a four-stroke, but not so at ECTA.  Opinions on the need and "fairness" of the various rules differ - but there's your answer.  And rotary engine bikes (well, one of 'em) runs at ECTA now and then.  I don't know for sure what SCTA rules have to say about rotary bikes.  I know they do distinguish about rotary engines for cars.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
Actually, Slim, in SCTA rotaries do not run in separate car classes, but the Rule Book has a formula to compute the displacement in a way that lets them run competitively in various displacement categories.  Or, at least that's the way it is supposed to work.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:18:14 AM »
SB that's what I said - that SCTA has a way to distinguish the rotaries.  I think that not only is there the fudge-factor about swept volume/displacement, but also a multiplier (divider?) based on noise -- rotary engines being the loud suckers they are, you know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  At least it won't affect pushrod motors, as I do believe they still have that class.  So those pesky little ring-a-ding-dings won't bother me!
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:45:35 PM »
The better question is why is there a 2 and 4 stroke classes for the ECTA????  The answer is not about the power capabilities or speed capabilities betweent the two.

JonAmo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 02:08:48 PM »
Jon, I can't speak for John Beckett nor Lionel Williams nor whomever else set up the ECTA records structure -- but I'm confident that part of the reason for the different classes for 2-stroke and 4-stroke was to make more records possible.  I would think that they decided to go that way to help more folks secure personal records -- to make more folks feel good about racing and therefore get more committed to the game.  That might not be the way it is done/has been done at other sanctioning bodies -- but I think it played a large part in ECTA history.

Out of curiosity -- why is it not about the power and speed capabilities of the difference engine styles?  There is a marked difference, right?  If I'm wrong - educate me and the others on the Forum that might not understand, either.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
   The question should be why dose the SCTA   NOT  separate 2 and 4 stroke engines? There is room for a push rod class .AND vintage .
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 05:35:28 PM »
Can you show the number of 2 and 4 stroke entries in a given class that would give reason for a separation?
Or, for that matter the number of new competitors that would become participants.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
I don't think that is the question. The two stroke make twice the power of a four stroke. why not a separate class? What is the big deal?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »
SCTA -- Maybe 3000 classes (miss Willie on this) -- 500+ yearly competitors at SW.  You can see more classes are sorely needed.

I like JD's idea -- use your Entry No. as your class.  No. 3876 runs against his own record every time he runs.  Sell the class record certificates for $50 or so each (whoops, I think someone's already doing that).

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 06:51:11 PM »
No I don't think any more classes are needed . I don't think anyone needs to change a thing . I just thought since the difference between a OHV engine and an OHC engine is less than the difference between a two stroke and a four stroke.That it would be natural to separate the engine types. But I see how quickly it could get out of hand .Water VS air cooling .Or the number of pistons. No the rules atr all fine just the way they are.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
Stan,  I can't wait to have a drink with you in person (out on the salt)... I need to see for my self if your as quick witted in person or if it takes you days to think about the barb's you send back East !!!

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 11:14:48 PM »
Stan,  I can't wait to have a drink with you in person (out on the salt)... I need to see for my self if your as quick witted in person or if it takes you days to think about the barb's you send back East !!!

Charles

Half... isn't it Stan
Was there a barb in there....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

LittleLiner

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
SCTA -- Maybe 3000 classes (miss Willie on this) -- 500+ yearly competitors at SW.  You can see more classes are sorely needed.

I like JD's idea -- use your Entry No. as your class.  No. 3876 runs against his own record every time he runs.  Sell the class record certificates for $50 or so each (whoops, I think someone's already doing that).

Stan

Hopefully your post was offered in humor.   I would hate to think it was just offered to be rude.