Author Topic: Use of Plywood  (Read 21214 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Use of Plywood
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »
No sense in stopping with the seat or body work.  Morgan STILL makes cars with wooden frames.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »
No sense in stopping with the seat or body work.  Morgan STILL makes cars with wooden frames.

With over 400 years of experience that started with a thumbs up from the queen, they must know something.

Mark
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline fastman614

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
I was head millwright toward the end of my 25 year stint as a maintenance technician in a plywood manufacturing plant.... the information that trickled down to us as to "unconventional" uses of plywood and laminated veneer products was, at times, amzing..... I really do not see plywood as an inferior substitute for the plastics that so many seats are now made of... and the several interesting items thaty I made over the years for hotrods and whatnot using sheets of veneer as the substrates and then fiberglass resin and cloth or mat as the "glue and filler".... I would say that you could have some fun with it

But like several people say...."watch out for slivers!"    :-D

Have you seen the all wood Supercar being built? I will see if I got a link.

Here. http://www.joeharmondesign.com/

Tman.... I had not seen any of that!..... My experience with veneer is spruce, pine and fir softwoods - generally used in construction plywood... and let me tell you..... dried veneer and slitting and shaping etc and then overlaying with fiberglass can make some pretty ingenious items.... my first attempt at using the stuff was when I made a conveyor trough section so that that using a metal detector- which was a full wrap around magnetic field- for the feed to the waste wood chipper would actually do what it was supposed to do- detect metal in the wood flow..... I, thankfully, had a carpenter onsite who was also a bit of a hotrodder and his expertise with resins and fiberglass helped  A LOT!!!!!! anyway..... we built a conveyor trough section that was 8 feet long and had no metal in it..... that cost about 15% of what the supplier wanted for a similar item..... that was about 27 years ago.......I know for sure that, in 2008- when I still worked there, the conveyor section was still there .... and, as far as I know, it is still there to this day.....  made out of wood!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Well how about the Hughes flying boat, AKA the spruce goose. See it at the Evergreen Museum in Oregon.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Mobile Welder

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »
I'm thinking.......This could be dangerous. (me thinking,not the wood). I have some ideas now. This is interesting....Hmmm.

Offline Tman

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »

Sounds like it was a cool project.

My question is.....................if a wood LSR car augers in at teh salt, how long does the cleanup crew take picking up splinters!?

I was head millwright toward the end of my 25 year stint as a maintenance technician in a plywood manufacturing plant.... the information that trickled down to us as to "unconventional" uses of plywood and laminated veneer products was, at times, amzing..... I really do not see plywood as an inferior substitute for the plastics that so many seats are now made of... and the several interesting items thaty I made over the years for hotrods and whatnot using sheets of veneer as the substrates and then fiberglass resin and cloth or mat as the "glue and filler".... I would say that you could have some fun with it

But like several people say...."watch out for slivers!"    :-D

Have you seen the all wood Supercar being built? I will see if I got a link.

Here. http://www.joeharmondesign.com/

Tman.... I had not seen any of that!..... My experience with veneer is spruce, pine and fir softwoods - generally used in construction plywood... and let me tell you..... dried veneer and slitting and shaping etc and then overlaying with fiberglass can make some pretty ingenious items.... my first attempt at using the stuff was when I made a conveyor trough section so that that using a metal detector- which was a full wrap around magnetic field- for the feed to the waste wood chipper would actually do what it was supposed to do- detect metal in the wood flow..... I, thankfully, had a carpenter onsite who was also a bit of a hotrodder and his expertise with resins and fiberglass helped  A LOT!!!!!! anyway..... we built a conveyor trough section that was 8 feet long and had no metal in it..... that cost about 15% of what the supplier wanted for a similar item..... that was about 27 years ago.......I know for sure that, in 2008- when I still worked there, the conveyor section was still there .... and, as far as I know, it is still there to this day.....  made out of wood!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »
There was a modified sports car on the salt one year that had a nose/spoiler that came apart on a run. The clean up time was over one hour. All of the ply wood, the bondo and wood screws were everywhere. You would be in shock if you had seen some of the crap we have picked up over the years. That's one reason the rules get tougher to prevent weird stuff being used.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
There was a modified sports car on the salt one year that had a nose/spoiler that came apart on a run. The clean up time was over one hour. All of the ply wood, the bondo and wood screws were everywhere. You would be in shock if you had seen some of the crap we have picked up over the years. That's one reason the rules get tougher to prevent weird stuff being used.

I WAS being a smartass Glen but I do not doubt you! The couple cleanups I saw on the salt were thourough and did take a little time for lesser incidents. Unlike the time my old construction foreman was pulling a job trailer down I29 and hit a HUGE bump causing a 50# box of roofing nails to catch air and blow through the rotten floor just in front of the trailer tires!~ He spent 4 hours on the road cleaning up nails while a trooper watched :-D

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »
Hey Koncretekid, wooden work.
 Sid.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
Hey Koncretekid, wooden work.
 Sid.

Wood so!
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 11:56:43 PM »
G, you wana go mate??
 Sid.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:14 AM »
My understanding is that's the way Kiwis and Aussies get along!!! :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »
There's a camaraderie between Ozzy's N Kiwi's that's taken years to evolve. It's kinda like the brother you love but once in a while you need to get into a good scrap to sort out who's turn it is to buy the beer.
  Sid.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
It seems to sort of be the way of it with a lot of the various nationalities of the "realm"......

I worked with several people - variously from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.... and these guys would be playing darts in the off hours- good players they were too... they taught me to play and i could actually beat one of them once in a while....

but these guys would be arguing over whether it was a treble twenty or or a treble one.... or a double twenty or out ..... and the profane things that they called each other ... word combinations I had never heard before and when it was settled- back to normal- like in another 10 to 30 seconds.... it was, at times, the high point of the entertainment, watching these guys carry on!....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 11:59:51 PM »
HEY watch it Canada! I resemble being called a nationality!

If we built all our crap out of wood, a crash could be cleaned up with a weed burner.
  Sid.