Author Topic: Is this really considered "racing?"  (Read 30209 times)

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
Re: Is this really considered "racing?"
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
Hey Optima Jim, we realize it was not your question, but one you relayed to us, and really not a dumb question, those of us who love LSR do enjoy it a lot and put a lot of money and sometimes our lives into it, but if I analyze the skill it takes to race in traffic like NASCAR or the skill/timing it takes for a 6 sec 1/4mile, then yes LSR is easier we can sing and chew gum at 220 mph on the salt, (but the salt is slippery like ice) so for an old guy (72 yrs) like me its easier and a longer ride for me to enjoy, so I say all racing is fun, end of story.  Thanks Jim for your comments and product, Dave  :-D
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
I havent gone through all of the posts so its possible this has been covered.

There is a Big difference in Fast & Quick and Drag Racers ( I was one for many years ) dont know or care about the difference, they are both the same to them.

I myself dont consider LSR " Racing " ... I consider it a Speed Contest.

My reason for that thought is because you are not " racing " against a competitor when you make a pass and it is possible that there are no other entry's in your class, so you would be " racing " against a piece of paper ( the record ).

With that said, the most important thing about LSR is that the People doing it are doing it because they truely love the sport. There is no 2nd, 3rd place, runner up, break outs, bye runs or .... Prize money.

LSR is the Ultimate Motorsport to me.

If you took the Win money out of Drag Racing 75 % ( guess ) of those that do it would probably quit.

Offline jangleguy

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2011, 01:23:01 AM »
Hi Jim - It's me, Scotty - the "short" guy from Optima's SEMA '09 deal. Yeah, land speed racing is or isn't racing, depending on who you ask and how you ask 'em. Racing or not, it's the biggest challenge I've found behind the wheel - just like driving on ice with bald tires. More importantly, it's the last bastion of grassroots innovation and cameradery - it hasn't been bastardized to death by corporate greed, yet.

I also know Pal-Arvid Blytt - the owner of the Norwegian T/A. I'm doing a story on him right now. He gets to answer similar questions every day, regarding whether the Firebird is a street car, drag car, top end runner, or what? The answer is yes.

The real answer seems to be that labels are way over rated. Does it really matter which box land sped racing fits into? No more than whether the Harlem Globetrotters are a real basketball team - to put this into a reference you can relate to.

You're a very talented, very sharp guy. I'm not sure if you're serious about this or not. If so, it never hurts to ask and you got some good feedback here from some people who know the subject insideout. If not, well, you got me man...
Scotty
Tyre Friars Hot Rod Gang   http://scottygossonexposed.blogspot.com/

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2011, 05:34:25 AM »
Jim: I've participated in numerous forms of "racing": sports cars, circle track, quarter-mile...and last year I got to run the salt for the first time.  I contracted Salt Fever on my first visit in 2003.  I got to Speed Week for the very last day of the meet.  Even though it was only record returns, I was hopelessly infected from that moment.  I've only missed 2 meets since then, both due to surgeries.  I only live 120 miles from the salt and I've kicked myself up one side of the block and down the other for not getting involved with LSR 35 years earlier. 

I've covered most meets as a photographer, working with SSS and Nancy to provide "live and direct forumcast" coverage of all events for the last coupla years.  If you'd been on the salt for last year's Shootout:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/shootout/Welcome.html I think you'd probably admit...or convince your friend that it was one of the most exciting events ever.  Four liners over 400 and The Ack Attack bike liner out the back door at 394 and change...in sloppy salt...and not a single crash (and extending that a little, no full course cautions or yellow flags...but then they're not needed for tv commercials.)

At World Finals, listening to the #911 roadster's top fuel motor and hearing the ear-splitting sound bounce off the mountains when Dave Davidson nailed the throttle at the 2 mile (they only ran 3 miles due to the limited amount of fuel on board) had everyone's jaw dropping...from the starting line, 2 miles away...and it was still a mind-warping sound...and experience. 

It was more awe inspiring than any drag racing moment I can remember.

I ran my racing partner's Chevy Colorado pickup in the 130 Club at World of Speed last year and we didn't even make 120.  But we had more fun than 2 old men otta be allowed to have.  I've been working on another car for this year, even in a cold garage and my body that hates cold.  Yeah, I've got Salt Fever. 

Even on the 130 course, when given the signal to launch, I immediately entered "the zone."  Nothing existed except for the tach, the cones marking the course and the sound of my own breathing inside the helmet.  A transcendental experience.  I can only begin to imagine what it must have been like for Dave in the roadster running 3 times the speed I ran. 

Does all of this make it racing?  In my not-so-humble opinion, it certainly does.  Here's a thought that might put it into perspective.  In other forms of racing, all you have to do is beat the guy in 2nd place in order to win.  But in the realm of LSR, you have to beat every guy who's been the fastest before you in order to set a record.  That's quite a tall order when ya think about it. 

The other thing is that in virtually every other form of racing, innovation is punished.  In LSR, innovation sets records.  And there isn't the intense competition for big-bucks sponsorship, tv interviews, public relations (for the most part) and again, IMNSHO, it's the last bastion of the TRUE racing spirit.  Done for the sheer desire to do it, not for fame and fortune, but for the accomplishment alone.  Compare it to mountain climbing, if you will...or perhaps spelunking.  These aren't organized sports, but does that make the participants any less "sportsmen/women?"  I think not. 

Milwaukee Midget put it very well on the first page of this thread and his statement that "time is unrelenting" is extremely profound.  Time is the ultimate competitor.  It never falters.  Just because you can't "trade paint" with it (I spose those who've had "incidents" might disagree) it's still there and the competitor that every LSR racer races against. 

I'll also extend an invitation to ya to come visit and discuss the finer points while out on the Great White Dyno.  I'm not hard to find: big red Suburban with white rat graphics on the rear side glass and me (sometimes) on top of it with a long lens and a tripod for my camera.  Come on out and mingle with us.  Bring your non-believer friend.  But be warned: There's no cure for Salt Fever...only treatment to keep it somewhat under control.

I'll be waitin to meet ya,
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:38:52 AM by RayTheRat »

Offline fastman614

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:33 AM »
hotrod probably said it the clearest in his last post.....

I had a brother-in-law..... he is still my childrens' uncle.... and he came down to Bonneville with us a time or two..... he is into sailboats..... and he gets really excited watching sailboat races!...... Now, to me, these boats are going like 8 MPH!....... and... to me..... it was about as exciting as watching paint dry..... but I never questioned the fact that it was racing.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »
Does all of this make it racing?  In my not-so-humble opinion, it certainly does.  Here's a thought that might put it into perspective.  In other forms of racing, all you have to do is beat the guy in 2nd place in order to win.  But in the realm of LSR, you have to beat every guy who's been the fastest before you in order to set a record.  That's quite a tall order when ya think about it. 

Perfect. :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:20 AM »
Definition:

RACING

(n) (the sport of engaging in contests of speed)

Done

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
Yeah, when I watch Lindsey Vonn smoke the downhill at brakeneck speeds with the possibility of a serious crash
and major injury, she is running against the clock and the other competitors in "speed trials". I'd call that RACING!
And yes, they go one at a time.........
Ed

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »
If you think Pikes Peak is racing then so is Bonneville, if you dont well then you dont...

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
Hey Fastman, I think I should scrap the streamliner & get one of those 8mph "blown" boats you're talking about. The I could get back to racing again. What was I thinkin!! Sid.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 01:47:05 AM »
There are a lot of racing skills we do not use, such as cornering, out braking opponents, drafting, stuffing each other in corners, passing, etc.  People who use and master these skills sometimes consider themselves to be real racers.  It is not unnatural for them to have those feelings.     

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 02:36:42 AM »
That covers most of the traffic in Utah, thats why it's called the Utah 500.

Offline OptimaJim

• New folks
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »
I really do appreciate everyone's feedback.  As I previously mentioned, LSR is one discipline of racing that I haven't spent any time around, so I do appreciate the insight from folks who have.  It did surprise me to hear it suggested that the competitors themselves acknowledged that they weren't really racing, but a previous conversation kept me from dismissing the claim entirely without checking it out first.  A friend of mine races in World Challenge and he said he considered what he was doing to be “gentlemen racing.”  He acknowledged there were some up and comers in that series, who were looking to make a professional career out of racing, but many of his fellow competitors were just wealthy guys like him, who had other careers, but liked racing.  They want to compete and win, but not at all costs, like you would expect in NASCAR or the NHRA's top series.  They basically fly in to qualify and race and let someone else handle all the details beyond that and may never set foot in the shop that prepares their cars.  I still consider that racing, but if he wants to qualify it as “gentlemen racing,” I'm fine with that too.

I really do hope to make it out to the flats some day soon.  I think Utah pretty much has the market figured out when it comes to having fun on white surfaces.  I've spent a lot of time on the vertical, but I look forward to experiencing the horizontal.  Scotty, I know many of the Globetrotters.  They are very talented guys and while things were different back when Wilt was playing, they are now considered the "Stars on Ice" version of basketball by their peers.  Just don't tell the Washington Generals ;)

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
Not all NASCAR teams will "win at any costs." As much as like and respect Dave Blaney there is no way he will hurt his equipment. He continues to qualify and usually drops out in the first 20 to 30 laps with something wrong. I always check his payoff and last week it was $64K for last place and I'm sure he will be at Vegas. They maybe saving up for a track Dave is good at and will have a stack of tires and spare parts ready for a good day but for the most part.....The team and owner does what it does.

I also like the Montery "gentlemans races" great cool old cars that are kept at the ready for their wealthy owners. And your right there is always one or two who look like idiots........

PS: Sorry but I use an Odessy because it fits..............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 05:59:41 PM »
Not all NASCAR teams will "win at any costs." As much as like and respect Dave Blaney there is no way he will hurt his equipment. He continues to qualify and usually drops out in the first 20 to 30 laps with something wrong. I always check his payoff and last week it was $64K for last place and I'm sure he will be at Vegas. They maybe saving up for a track Dave is good at and will have a stack of tires and spare parts ready for a good day but for the most part.....The team and owner does what it does.

I also like the Montery "gentlemans races" great cool old cars that are kept at the ready for their wealthy owners. And your right there is always one or two who look like idiots........

PS: Sorry but I use an Odessy because it fits..............

Not to forget Blaney is a REAL racecar driver because he can handle a car without fenders as well! :-D :cheers: