Author Topic: Newbie Questions On Bike Classes..  (Read 5707 times)

Offline NortonPete

• New folks
  • Atacama Desert, Chile, Feb 2009
Newbie Questions On Bike Classes..
« on: February 21, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »
Hi,
I've just posted my 'introduce yourself' message and now I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions I'm confused about despite having studied & searched the forum....

In Vintage bike classes the bike has to be no newer than 1955 date of manufacture - correct?

Secondly, do Vintage OHC bikes run against non-OHC & two-strokes? The classifications I printed off seem very vague, only making mention of OHV, flathead & 2 stroke when discussing the Vintage classes.

Lastly, if I were to run my original 1947 Norton 500 pushrod, I'm guessing I could run in either P-PP or P-PV in full standard trim.
If I kept the original frame but lowered it (I won't do it - just hypothetical) I'd be looking at M-PG or M-VG and if I fitted this motor into a custom frame I'd be in A-PG or A-VG.
Have I got this right?
Thanks in advance,
Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Newbie Questions On Bike Classes..
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »
Pete, you have it mostly... the actual may depend on if you decide to take your old scooter to the Bub event and an SCTA event. 
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NortonPete

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »
Thanks Stainless,

Any ideas on the question whether OHC Vintage bikes run against all the other non-OCH Vintage bikes?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
Welcome Pete.   In production vintage your ES2 (presuming) would b heads up against an Inter.  You'd be in P-PV.  Now if you had a Big four you'd get a displacement break and run in 350.  Are you thinking of coming over to SpeedWeek?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline NortonPete

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »
Hi Nortonist,

It's good to hear from you. You've been on my list of 'must contacts' for a while now :) Every time I look for Weslake info online I end up on one forum or another with you and either your featherbed bike or your sidecar outfit!

I won't be bringing the Model 18 though - I picked up a 90% complete Weslake 500 OHV motor last week.
Kind of an 'insurance policy' really, as I'm really looking for a complete Wessie speedway bike as a base.
I'm also looking at a couple of oddball vintage Italian road machines as well though so anything could happen just yet. 

500 P-PV looks tough even for a Manx, what with that 750 Indian flathead record.
You run in A-PG with the Wessie don't you?

Last question, one of the old bikes I've been considering has its original 1955 motor & frame but has been turned into a 'cafe racer' style bike sometime in the past. Am I right in thinking this would rule it out of any Production classes & push me into M-VG? It's OHC so M-PG is out.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
Hi Pete,  Glad to see you have a Weslake.  I've been telling people for years that if you want your pushrod Norton to fly stick a Weslake in it.  Weslake info seems to be scarce.  A cafe'd Norton would run in M.  Production means just that.  It must look production.  what you do to the engine internals is your business but externally it must look like it came from the factory.  The 500 P/PV is 100.330.  Not an astronomical figure but Bonneville is not exactly sea level.

The Norton is in A because of the rule that says the engine and the frame must be from the same manufacturer in order to run in M.  The A/PG record is attainable with your Weslake.  A Weslake in a rigid Norton frame could be a very tasty and formidable weapon.  A lot of the Weslake measurements are the same as Norton so adapting them is quite easy.  David Perry of Antig Weslake is still in business and should be able to help you with parts and info. 

The GMA Indian is something else!  Unless you have the Francis Beart touch going after those records would be a tough row to hoe.  But regardless of what you choose Bonneville is one place not to be missed!

Offline NortonPete

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »
Thanks, the fog (in my brain) is starting to lift now - for some reason I was thinking P-PV was Production Pushrod Vintage.
I'm thinking of taking a trip to see David Perry in the next few days to find out if all the missing bits are available for my Weslake. As far as I can see I'm missing 2 valves (1 of each), all the valve springs & a piston plus assorted fasteners.
Oh, and an ignition system, inlet manifold & carb!

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
If David hasn't all the parts you need PM me and I'll give you an address here to contact.  Ignition systems can be expensive.  Give some thought to a coil.  Works for me.  Is your manifold a three or a four bolt?  I have a 40mm Mikuni which should do the deed.  And a couple of three bolt manifolds.

Offline paul

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »
Hello all,
I have never run a bike at Bonneville but hope too either this year or next.I would like abit of help in regard to the rules.I'm planning to run M-VG and M-VF and the bike is a Indian V-twin side valve.
Can there be external changes to the engine?
Eg- My own designed and made cyl heads? Same with the manifold?
Are the rules exactly the same for the SCTA and BUD meets?
Has there been any talk of having seperate class's for side valves?
Thanks for helping. Paul

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »
Paul, get a rule book, read the Bub rules online, there are some differences.  Get a rule book, read the rule book, Get a rule book, read the rule book, Get a rule book, read the book, Get a rule book....  :cheers:
Read your book a hundred times or so, don't read anything into it.
Your engine can be modified as long as you use a matching frame and engine.... OEM cases and cylinders are required from there you play...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »
In case you didn't get the message from Stainless -- get a rulebook and read it.  I likje to suggest that you buy three copies of each rulebook -- one for the living room coffee table, one for the workbench in your shop area, and one for the back of the toilet.  That way you'll have one at hand all of the time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
Paul, welcome.  There was some controversy last year about a bike running aftermarket heads.  But I can't comment any further as thats all I know.  My guess is that your own designed heads would put you in A.  But I'm not the one who knows for sure.  There are slight differences in the rules between SCTA and BUB.  But you do need a rule book.

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »
Paul,

For official answers to questions for SCTA rules contact one of these guys:

Van Butler – Motorcycle Committee Chair
949-497-6478
catherinejuneau3@mac.com

Tom Evans – Chief Motorcycle Inspector
818-352-9109
oileaky2@yahoo.com

BUB rules are on line and some what different.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline paul

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:56:32 AM »
Thank you all who replyed to my questions.
Sorry for my delay in replying but I do spend some time away working.
I do have enough rule books and am doing my best to build a bike within the rules.
Has there been any talk of having side valve only classes?
Paul

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
They probably won't be available until the cherry-pickers finish filling in the hundreds of classes still available for "setting records".

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records