Author Topic: 2006 Motorcycle Rule Changes  (Read 20778 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
AFTER DUE CONSIDERATION
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 12:33:27 PM »
Today a journalist commented after reviewing the MC
 rules and comments said " I think the MC rules need
 a Smell Check'.
That was a funny. "
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline k.h.

2006 Motorcycle Rule Changes
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 06:36:02 PM »
Will someone just go ahead and tell us which pushrod record is "being protected" if that is the situation? Was it set with OEM cases?  Aftermarket cases?   If OEM cases, then as soon as someone else beats it with other OEM cases, perhaps it will be moot and the rule change can be reversed.  Or, would the record beater be "disqualified" after having done so?

Still sniveling here.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 06:59:37 PM »
Darker and darker.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
DARKNESS OR DIMNESS?
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 07:10:46 PM »
Quote from: Nortonist 592
Darker and darker.

I don't think it is really as dark as it is stupid.
Perhaps a little light will help everyone see a little better.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

bak189

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 11:20:31 PM »
For 2006 race the BUB event and make $5000.00.....no matter what cases you are running ......No problem....no M.....no A
Hopefully SCTA/BNI will see the errors of their ways for 2007......and make some changes.

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 03:12:50 AM »
I plan on heading to the Bub's event this year.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

landracing

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 08:32:25 AM »
I emailed Russ ODaley a long time ago about the S&S Cases in a harley in M class. He emailed once and said it went to the committee. I still have not heard the results of that. So the system has failed to inform a Bonneville competitor who made an inquiry on the subject. The line of communication seems poor.

I called Tom Evans and had a brief talk with him on two subjects.
S&S Cases in M class, and aftermarket fairings in M class.

First S&S cases are illegal in a bike which they did not come stock with. So that puts you in A class, no question... He was solid on this rule...

Second. On the aftermarket fairing in M class. My bike for example uses  a Toy fairing. I am legal for M class with it. BUT I have to be within  the rule of partial streamlining, that it cannot extend past the rear edge of the rear tire. IF I was to use a aftermarket replica of the stock bodywork then it could extend past the rear edge of the rear tire...

As it should be because if you look at the rule book pg 101, for modified production it uses Joe Amo's bike which uses an aftermarket ZX12 fairing and the custom rear tail section... And by the way that configuration of the bike is about 3 years old. We have sported a silver paint job for a couple years, so the black paint is older... Rule 7.F.12 on page 103 lays out the rules on using aftermarket fairing which were not original body work.

The rules seems to come about for letting stockers with extended body work beyond rear edge of rear tire orginally, compete without having to cut off the bodywork.

Jon

landracing

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 08:38:04 AM »
I went back and looked.

I originally emailed Russ on Feb 27th.

I got an email saying it was going to a committee on March 17th.

That was the last response I have received from Russ.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 08:54:06 AM »
Ill advised fixing of something that isn't broke is ill advised.
Cars rules are smarter in that regard.
Bikes don't need to stand out dumb with so many smart competitors available.
When you hide under a rock, all your information will be from their also.
Progress is going faster safer, not changing the rules to suit your objective that abandons the efforts of everybody else in the sport.
Do that and that and the end is in sight.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves."

aswracing

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »
Quote from: landracing

First S&S cases are illegal in a bike which they did not come stock with. So that puts you in A class, no question... He was solid on this rule...

This is just absolutely nuts. Without taking a poll, I have to believe that most all of the M records in the larger displacement pushrod classes were done with aftermarket cases.

And some of us were pouring lots of dollars and lots of hours into breaking those records, using aftermarket cases. And in our case, we were right on the verge of breaking a damn good one.

Now, out of the blue, with no warning whatsoever, or chance to give input on the subject at all, the rug is pulled out from under us.

I've spent I don't know how many thousands to build two really good "M" bikes, and they both got obsoleted in one fell swoop.

I just don't see myself buying a couple new chassis's and a new fairing to build proper "A" bikes around. By the time I did that, they'd probably change something else without telling me and make those bikes illegal.

This was done just like the leathers rule. In all my years of racing, in a variety of venues with different sanctioning bodies, I have yet to see any sanctioning body run so open loop. Damn it's frustrating.

We're supporting the Bub event. That's all I can do. Maybe if we make it a success we can talk Denis into doing a second one each year.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FALL DOWN FUNNY
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2006, 09:37:31 AM »
The fact that thousands of bikes will qualify for production now with S+S motors and the allowance of anything inside the motor in all classes has escaped their notice.
The concern for all the past records of which they have none to lose to stupidity is apparent.
If you spend all your time talking to yourself, you will find yourself very alone and only talking to yourself.
If you think that $5k is a worthwhile teaser you don't begin to understand either. :wink:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REMARKABLE
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »
Who wooda thunk ?
I know a couple that didn't and wrote rules anyway.
The only thing worse is to let them lead you over the cliff.
Keeping your head down will help them. :wink:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 08:59:47 PM »
There is [was?] a sign in the tech trailer that read.  "Arguing with a tech in spector is like wrestling with a pig in mud.  After a while you begin to realize the pig likes it."  Perhaps we should form the Lemmings Timing Association.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

landracing

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2006, 09:54:38 PM »
Quote from: scott guthrie
Quote from: landracing

Jon's bike (See his Avatar) is probably the best streamlined open-wheel 650 class bike running anywhere in the land-speed racing world.  Certainly one of the best streamlined, period.

Becarefull there scott... I doubt it is streamlined enough for anything, other then beat a brick falling off a cliff... It may look like it, but its probably one of the most incorrect of them all... I say dont follow my lead.
I have handling problems which seem to have been inherent with this body to deal with...

Im going back to stock body work for this year. And putting like a 250cc engine in the bike, lots of nitrous...

And like the late Don Vesco said, "If it looks right, is probably isn't"

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It makes you wonder
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 11:31:56 PM »
Quote from: Nortonist 592
There is [was?] a sign in the tech trailer that read.  "Arguing with a tech in spector is like wrestling with a pig in mud.  After a while you begin to realize the pig likes it."  Perhaps we should form the Lemmings Timing Association.

It makes you wonder who made the sign for them and what were they told it said.
I know when they see me coming they immediately take their fighting position in the mud.
They wouldn't take a sign like that from me because if I seemed to enjoy it they would be suspicious right away.  LOL