Author Topic: 2011 Speedweek Rooms  (Read 36751 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: 2011 Speedweek Rooms
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2011, 10:36:06 AM »
NVJJC You don't need a reservation for World Finals. There are "rooms a plenty". Much more laid back with the exception those who compete there are ready right off the trailer. You have a short time to get things done and the weather seems to always be somewhat of a factor. Winds come up in the afternoon and there is always the liquid sunshine threat.

Pits are smaller so there is a lot less walking. WF has become my favorite these last few years due to various factors. Rooms and $$ are not the only ones but are the main factor. With the coverage Speed Week here on this sight you get the feel of what's happening without wading thru the wanna bees in town. If your into rat rods it's the next best thing to the Mooneyes get together......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
Jimmy, which is better from a competitor standpoint- WF or WOS?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
About the only difference to competitors is the fact that WoS uses one course only, although I think last year they might have had two.  WF uses two courses - or is it one nowadays?  The rules are exactly the same although WoS has the 130 and 150 Club(s) as well as all of the SCTA classes.

WoS has (usually ) better weather (less chance of snow and freezing morning temperatures) than does WF.  WF has far fewer competitors than WoS.  Nancy and I take the website to both events - and even race at both, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
Thanks Jon. May try both if the engine stays together....
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2011, 12:33:51 PM »
I think that WOS is going to have two courses this year.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »
  Just keep in mind that if you have to choose, the weather is a lot more "iffy" in October, but hoo boy is the air ever good!!!! :-o :-o
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »
I know that USFRA uses a separate course for the 130 Club - and up 'til last year used the regular course for 150 Club.  The single course is used for both short and long course.  They often use one of the courses already dragged - whether it's the "international" course or the SCTA/BNI course I don't remember, but it makes course prep easier.  If they run a pair of short/long (a/k/a "combination" or "combo") courses things will likely move even faster.  The issue with two courses is that it takes twice as many resources (starters, safety, etc),and the USFRA, while made up of volunteers that work really hard and well (as do the SCTA workers) - doesn't have the sheer quantity of workers available.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2011, 01:22:25 AM »

A couple of my autocross buddies want to get to Bonneville this year.  The plan is to drive to SLC and rent a motorhome for the week as getting rooms ain't so easy.  Is there anybody who has done this and can they suggest a place we can contact to reserve one?  It has been way to long since my last trip and it will be a bit strange not being part of a crew, but it is always good to be on the salt again...
I hope that Freud will make it as it has been too long to catch up on some past fun! :-D

Thanks,
Matt Guzzetta

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
Matt;

I've done it-- the first time I came to Bonneville, my wife and I flew to SLC and were picked up by the rental agency at the airport. We drove the small motorhome to Wendover and stayed at the KOA. In the mornings we drove out onto the salt and enjoyed the races. I can't remember the name of that agency, though-- sorry.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, Az
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2011, 01:31:27 AM »
Thanks, Neil!  We will be driving up from San Diego and getting the motorhome and take both to Wendover and park where ever we can at the time.  It should be great to be back at the salt! It has been a long time since our first time.
Hope to see some guys from the past, looking forward to it!

Matt Guzzetta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2011, 09:48:32 AM »
Nancy and I first visited SpeedWeek in '01 - flying in to SLC and renting an RV from CruiseAmerica -- the big national company.  As I remember they were just off Bangerter St/Rd/Ave on the west side of the city.  Good part:  They didn't have the 22' that we had reserved so we got a free upgrade to a 31'.  Cost more fuel but was dandy otherwise.

We stayed at the KoA, too.  It's in West Wendover, Nevada -- but reserve your space NOW - since they will be full for the event (and might be already - check soon).  Otherwise you can stay at the Bend in the Road, for sure -- free and unlimited space.  But you'll have to pay for hours on the generator to run the A/C.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »
Nancy and I first visited SpeedWeek in '01 - flying in to SLC and renting an RV from CruiseAmerica -- the big national company.  As I remember they were just off Bangerter St/Rd/Ave on the west side of the city.  Good part:  They didn't have the 22' that we had reserved so we got a free upgrade to a 31'.  Cost more fuel but was dandy otherwise.

We stayed at the KoA, too.  It's in West Wendover, Nevada -- but reserve your space NOW - since they will be full for the event (and might be already - check soon).  Otherwise you can stay at the Bend in the Road, for sure -- free and unlimited space.  But you'll have to pay for hours on the generator to run the A/C.

Matt:
Here's some web sites to peruse at your leisure.
I was surprised at the number available.
I've seen units  on the salt from several of these noted.
All will no doubt require an extra insurance and mileage tribute, so figure accordingly into your budget calculations.
Some folks also park on the asphalt area North of The Salt Flats Cafe; thus, it is only a short walk to a real restroom and shower.
Also, quick coffee if you're not inclined to brew up your own while still sleepy. 

I spent a night there in the back of a mini-van a few years back, and was not challenged or unduly disturbed.

http://www.google.com/search?q=motorhome+rentals&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Jim

Offline Texican

« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim on Today at 08:48:32 AM

Matt:
Here's some web sites to peruse at your leisure.
I was surprised at the number available.
I've seen units  on the salt from several of these noted.
All will no doubt require an extra insurance and mileage tribute, so figure accordingly into your budget calculations.
Some folks also park on the asphalt area North of The Salt Flats Cafe; thus, it is only a short walk to a real restroom and shower.
Also, quick coffee if you're not inclined to brew up your own while still sleepy.

I spent a night there in the back of a mini-van a few years back, and was not challenged or unduly disturbed.

http://www.google.com/search?q=motorhome+rentals&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »
Wow, great responses!   Thanks guys, I have enough info to get us underway for sure.  Do we get spectator passes on the web or do we just buy some passes at the trailer?  We used to come with vehicles, so coming as a spectator is a new experience!
Thanks again for the info, we will see you all in August! :-D

Matt Guzzetta

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
You get your passes at the end of the paved road.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records