Author Topic: 1050mph wheel driven car proposal.What do you think?  (Read 25895 times)

Offline Luckyontheducky

Re: 1050mph wheel driven car proposal.What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
I would also be fashinated to see such a fantscentific wheel driven chariot to blaze across the rails at unpreheardof speed!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »
Rubber tires cant spin that fast.
Cant get traction with aluminum or other metal wheels.
If you could get tires that could spin that fast the weight needed to maintain traction with that much HP would in itself not allow for speeds that fast.

The traction is an easy problem to solve however, and feel you should totally make the attempt at creating such a vehicle.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline DallasV

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »
To me a part of what makes the wheel driven record (or any record) so impressive is the driver. There is a lot of skill and guts to keep a vehicle between the markers at 400 MPH. If you put it on rails, you might as well remote control the thing. And this concept is being refered to as a wheel driven car, I think more a wheel driven train.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »
I was thinking a bad dream and a total waste of time.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »
I would like what ever he is drinking, sounds like some powerful stuff.  :-o Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »
I think it is some kind of tea. Do you have any in your inventory Tony?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »

I would be happy to see a 500 mph wheel driven, auto engined, time, at the salt and maybe we will in the near future. 

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »
WOW! This kind of talk makes Trying to get into the "2" club seem like trying to qualify for the Indy 500 in a soap box car.[Then reality sets in]. :-o :cheers: :cheers:
Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

DocBeech

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
I see someone beat me to it lol. I was going to ask how you plan to get traction after the sound barrier? Plus how would you deal with the temps the wheels would reach? If its wheel driven you would be forcing a lot demand on the wheels. How big would the wheels be since your driving the vehicle with tens of thousands of horsepower?

I do however agree that rocket sleds, as amazing as they are, are aircraft without wings :P

Offline BIGHORN

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:08 AM »
"Speed costs money-how fast do you want to go?" Graham Hill, F1 World Champ
John Kelly

Blue

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
I'll let everyone else speak to the possibly THC induced impracticalities like fuel and finance, I'll go for the two big technical ones:

From simple calculations if with 2000hp (50% throttle) turbinator reached 470mph to top 1050mph (faster than bloodhound,) he need 23000hp.

That's using the HP-cubed for a speed increase.  What about supersonic wave drag?  Most "good" aircraft designs have about at least as much wave drag as everything else once they go supersonic, so that would be HP-sixth power.  For a ground vehicle, square that.  Anyone up for up for 43,829,249 HP?

Rails.
FIA rule: it has to be steered by the driver without external guidance.  At least two steerable wheels.

HotRodV8

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »
Hello 1st Postie - -

At first I was confused. You talked about the real LSR wheel driven car as a "ground vehicle." Then you put it on rails. "Ground" doesn't have rails?

But then, I saw the LITE. What ever class and size liner I do build in the future. . .  I WILL have the "Fastest piston engine vehicle ever built" (by me), I will have the "Most powerful piston engine ever built" (by me), and the "Fastest ground vehicle" (built by me). That is my salt flats dream.

And that sound . . . I already have heard that "Incredible sound" . . .  which was -- "Leave that darn race car alone and get in here, the kids are asleep."

P.S. Should you build, can I get the contract for the parachutes?  :roll:

Offline Luckyontheducky

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

That's using the HP-cubed for a speed increase.  What about supersonic wave drag?  Most "good" aircraft designs have about at least as much wave drag as everything else once they go supersonic, so that would be HP-sixth power.  For a ground vehicle, square that.  Anyone up for up for 43,829,249 HP?

Dang...we're gonna need a bigger propeller!

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
And more of them
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline lewis

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
Hello.Excuse me for my not correct english, and thank you for your reply to a such insane proposal! i'll try to explain the sense of this kind of streamliner.
The primary goal is to build a real wheel driven vehicle faster than todays jet car, or at least old jet car (blue flame,green monster spirit of america).I think that a rail car is more a land vehicle than a thrust car; and rail solution is the only way to have a track long enough to top very high speeds (with very long way cars like turbinator would hit 600mph or more).Maybe not the speed of sound, but more than 1000km/h...The blue flame for his record run used about 29000hp-no sound wave-.I'd like to join the feeling of running at a very high speed to the fascination of a piston engine wheel driven vehicle.If we must cheat...let's cheat with rails not with thrust.I don't care about FIA record ore rules.If you surpass 1000 or 1100 km/h (...or 1224...) with a piston engine vehicle you will be in the history.Even if your record is not official.The point is that wheel driven heroes spent so much for their incredible cars when very cheap and simple jet car like arfons,thrus2, or breedlove first creations took speed that neither don vesco was able to reach.Yes the only real problem is the money.Or you have a budget like bloodhound team ore bye bye.Maybe with the rail you could anchor the car o the rail with a sort of security shoe (i imagine a sort of C tubular around the side of the rail), so the aerodinamic would be easier than a thrust ssc or a bloodhound aero.The power would be not a problem....I think that most of the todays high speed liners use very few power in relationship of nowadays technology..so that we are very far from the real limit of the piston engine possibitity.In the end i think  that if anyone whould try to put to the limit a wheel driven piston vehicle this kind of "train-car" is a solution.Maybe not he speed of sound..but you imagine running 1000km/h with the sound of 4 v8 nitroburning engines???  Maybe is a dream…but I think that with the today technologies is  would be possible. What is the sense of million dollar in a bloodhound ssc? The desire to go fast. What is the sense of the rail-lainer? The desire of wheel driven speed.
Bye