Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304962 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »
Easier is better and length isn't going to hurt you unless there might be trailering or storage problems. Aerodynamic nit pickers could say that the increased wetted area will increased drag but you could probably counter by saying that it allows smoother transitions and thus better air flow. There..................... I'm not sure I helped your quandary but I gave you more to think about.  :-D :-D 8-)

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2013, 11:30:20 AM »
T, I'm with PJ, add the wheelbase.... make life as easy on you as possible... I think Seth will tell you longer didn't hurt him at all.  We stretched the Bockscar a foot for longer drivers (me) in 2000, it didn't slow the car down, the big motor bubbles on the top to fit a Busa motor did a little, luckily that motor comes with additional power  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #407 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
Yup, I was right!  :-D

Thanks for my daily afformation! I know at some point I will use up that extra space back there. Still have not figured out where the second firebottle fits!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #408 on: February 23, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »
Yep! Now's the time to stretch it for you. I can tell you it sucks big ones to have to do it down the road.
My chassis is finished with tunnel & all. Now the production O/D unit is 2" longer than the dummy unit I built around.
Time to cut the back off a streamliner. :x :cry:
  Sid.

Offline Tman

« Reply #409 on: February 23, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
Yep! Now's the time to stretch it for you. I can tell you it sucks big ones to have to do it down the road.
My chassis is finished with tunnel & all. Now the production O/D unit is 2" longer than the dummy unit I built around.
  Sid.

I feel your pain Sid!

Another question, I am sure some of the high end aftermarket trannies have the same dimensions as a GM 4 speed. Tex, Jerico, Lenco etc? Don't want to build into a corner for future upgrades!

Thanks guys.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #410 on: February 23, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
  Sid.

I feel your pain Sid!

Another question, I am sure some of the high end aftermarket trannies have the same dimensions as a GM 4 speed. Tex, Jerico, Lenco etc? Don't want to build into a corner for future upgrades!

Thanks guys.

Maybe, maybe not.  Aftermarket is a lot easier getting dimensions for out of catalogs, etc., than stock pieces.

If I've learned nothing else doing this, I've learned this -

ASSUME NOTHING.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #411 on: February 23, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »
Trent, it seems like they all vary a little bit. Even a 1/2" means driveshaft work, on a high revving, or high HP engine.

I'd go overkill on the tranny for now, and have that end done, for when you build in more HP. JMHO.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #412 on: February 23, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »
my suggestion:  Get a driveshaft guy to tell you how long a 10,000 RPM driveshaft ( 8000 rpm motor + 20% OD) can be, then double it---stretch your car that much + at least 1' in front of the eng.  You will NEVER regret it and I will bet the time comes when you say-- why didn't I put that much more in front of the eng. Driveshafts and Jackshafts  are VERY easy to shorten and do not involve BODY pannels

This will give you a car you can use for YEARS
Lakesters that are fairly aero usually are around 200-210 WB

ymmv

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:34:55 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #413 on: February 23, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »
Trent, I am with everyone on this, you will be head of the game making it longer.  Our RMR is at the limit with a 189 1/2" wheelbase.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #414 on: February 24, 2013, 12:15:34 AM »
My W/B is 258" & it's too phucking short!!! :x
  Sid.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #415 on: February 24, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
   Salt Cat ll is 267". We had to stretch it 18 inches when we put in the straight 8, but there were no real body panels back there when we got the cat so we had to build any of them we needed anyway. Make it as long as you can haul. The car handles good at speed because of the length.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »
Thanks for all the input!

The plan was to couple the tranny and QC using a Mark Williams Greek coupler.  I plan to have some adjustment capability with the brackets on the rear end if needed later for a longer tranny

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #417 on: February 24, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »
If you leave some more space in there you can do a short shaft between them with double couplers on each end. Allows you to more options down the road & you can pull the trans without pulling the eng or diff out. Use two sliders on the short shaft with collars so you can slide them back & lift out the shaft.
If you are runnung a 7.5 10bolt, B&J are now able to make a Greek coupler to fit them. Part # is B&J-SID.
  Sid.

Offline Tman

« Reply #418 on: February 24, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
If you leave some more space in there you can do a short shaft between them with double couplers on each end. Allows you to more options down the road & you can pull the trans without pulling the eng or diff out. Use two sliders on the short shaft with collars so you can slide them back & lift out the shaft.
If you are runnung a 7.5 10bolt, B&J are now able to make a Greek coupler to fit them. Part # is B&J-SID.
  Sid.

You are right, I could run one of the short shafts.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #419 on: February 24, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
If you need your thoughts reinforced Trent I really think KBT has it right!  :cheers: :cheers:

Pete