Author Topic: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester  (Read 304970 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Spirit of South Dakota Lakester
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2011, 01:58:55 PM »
Just remember it's not structurally sound at 200 mph. For that you require genuine made in America Duct Tape (difficult to find these days). :-o :-o :-D

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2011, 02:20:15 PM »
And here I thought I needed to WELD that stuff!?

A note about welding, did you know that steel stays hot for over an hour? :-o Don't ask me how I know :oops:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
Only if you're going to touch it! :evil: :evil:

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
Only if you're going to touch it! :evil: :evil:

Pete

Like that scene in Raiders of the lost Ark :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2011, 05:37:23 PM »
Got two more tubes bent today. The rear helmet tubes. Left em long to trim. Need to get a caouple tubes under me to fine tune driver position so we can bed up the front helmet hoop. Special thanks to Tony/maguromic for lending me his drawing to work off of. I am in contact with Lee Kennedy to make sure all is Kosher. And Nathan is watching me as well, right Nate? :-D

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
If your wife isn't going to come back with the camera, let me know, I have an extra.

PICTURES, DAMN IT!  :evil:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tman

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2011, 05:49:39 PM »
She is back, thats how I posted the last ones! Plus I am still in town, not home yet :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »
For Mike, not much but hand cut Miters/copes and the bent tubes. Also have a pal blasting my wheel parts as we speak. Got a good support group around here! :cheers:

And a stinkbug my wife caught in a 32 roadster!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »
Hey Mr Stink-Bug,
expect a protest to be lodged, yeah, the guy in the white one. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »
Got all my wheel parts blasted last night. Have to order the front hoops and will be able to build! Got the jig ready and will try and make the things as close to perfect as I can. Cant wait to play withthe dial indicator.

Also going to try and make patterns for the rest of the helmet hoops. That will allow me to bend those up this week. I think we are going to build the cage around the ISP padding? Looking at thier specs right now.

I always forget how fast you eat up tubing when building something :oops: I have torn through the first two sticks already and will have to buy another, and thats without making any mistakes, yikes!

Offline Tman

« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
Playing with position and making measurements and patterns for the rest of the cage. Darn, who built this thing so small!? :-D Thats my brother modeling the thing. He is driver #2, Jangleguy is #3 and the smallest of us. And yes I know the open face is not Kosher, we were getting ideas and spacial relationships today, nothing more. Gotta find a home for the fire bottles though, no room in front of us!

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
a full face helmet may position his head at a different angle.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »
Trent, as the new helmets are larger and have Hans device clips as well as the air intake allow for this in the hoops and the padding. We had to make changes in the 444 car and if the Turbinator is to run again the whole upper roll cage will need to be changed as well as the body around it. Can you mount the two fire bottle above the legs on each side of the steering shaft.Just thoughts.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »
Thanks for the input, the helmet pic was more for fun. I had the measurements for a full face here for reference, again, this is only the first step. I am working on patterns for the upper hoops, we were only trying to figure out if the thing would work. Nothing is even tacked at this point. I have a good helmet that I did not get a chance to borrow, we will have it when we start fitting the hoops. You can see we played with padding and such behind the back. 1st step, nothing written in stone yet.

Glen, that is one option I am looking at as I type this. If I curve the upper cross braces on the frame like a shot of AckAttack I have, there may be enough room above the legs. Also using the pictures of Anthony Youngs new car as reference since it was an example of a "fat" lakester that the Tech guys got learned on  :-D :wink: I jest, but from the cage forward that car is basically what we are building and I recognize the quality of the build! :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:03:12 PM by Tman »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2011, 08:12:46 PM »
on the Ratical I  at one time had the fire bottles mounted one on top of the other,right behind my back, horizontally from side to side using the fire wall to mount them to
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!