Author Topic: Wilmington Airpark  (Read 20406 times)

Offline RansomT

Re: Wilmington Airpark
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
150 club rules say:

SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
A four- (4) point roll bar approved by a recognized Racing sanctioning organization must be installed in the vehicle; driver is responsible to provide objective evidence of approval. Integral Corvette-type roll bar is not acceptable.

http://www.saltflats.com/I50_Club_2009.html

Mike

I stand corrected ... it's been awhile since I looked at that rule.   I guess I am safe to say you can go 139.99 mph without a cage.

Offline Got-Busa?

• New folks
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »

"What exactly are people worried about"?????

One bad injury or death and other venues would have a terrible time getting insurance.  If one is stupid enough to go on a highway to see how fast his street car/bike is then they are taking that liability.  When a venue gives them a place to do it, then what?  Think about it and answer your own question.

Jim

I have thought about it and accidents still happen WITH safety equipment.  There is no guarantee that someone will or will not survive a highspeed crash.  We can debate that forever...

"What exactly are people worried about?"

How about the off road truck that flew into the crowd in California last August, eight dead.
Sanction body facing huge liability problems.

Would you feel the same if that Lambo that flew in Texas last year took a right turn into the snow fencing? Would there be any scheduled events this year?

DW

You can't even compare the two events.  Have you even been to an offroad race like Baja?  There is no safety for the fans, those people stand on the track at anytime during the day.  That wasn't the first time a vehicle has flow off course at one of those events and probably won't be the last. 

As far as comparing it to Texas, there is a safety zone that is protected and people aren't even allowed past a certain point so keeping the vehicles from going into the crowd isn't even in question here.  I think you guys have Texas confused with another event.  People aren't standing on the edge of the runway while people are racing...

Thank you thank you RansomT, dw, jb, and sabat.

Like I side before I have no dog in the motorcycle fight so i'll stay on the porch but autos are different.  You can get away from a bike.  Saw a feller lay one down at maxton in Oct., but a car or truck is different.  If I'm not mistaken 135 is the bump for having a 4 or 6 point cage at Maxton.  This is a bit low if you have mentioned Vette but I know I wouldn't want to go bottoms up in our Karmann Ghia without a cage and we are just tickling the 140s.  But there can't be a rule for each car or year or style or what safety rating it came with in whatever year so its set at 135.

Zach   

and I agree.   There is a whole lot of difference between your Karmann Ghia at 140+ and a production Vette at 140+, that I can't answer.  But I do know, you can go 150 at Bonneville without a cage.

All good points RansomT. 

However, there were cars that went over 150 at Bonneville without a cage, for a couple TV shows.....how did they get around it?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
I believe the Baja is still run in Mexico.  Don't they have different laws there?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
The TV shows don't use a sanctioning body.

The California incident caused the BLM to look at everything really closely and we don't need any more difficulties on the areas used for speed trials'

Pete

Offline Got-Busa?

• New folks
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
I believe the Baja is still run in Mexico.  Don't they have different laws there?

I was just giving an example.  The race was in Cali but it's the same for a lot of rally and offroad events.  Even Pikes Peak lets you spectate extremely close to the racing...

The TV shows don't use a sanctioning body.

The California incident caused the BLM to look at everything really closely and we don't need any more difficulties on the areas used for speed trials'

Pete

I am talking about a show that was filimed at/during one of the Bonneville Speed events...

We are changing the subject to "what if" scenarios, it was only an example....the issue isn't specatator safety here....

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »
I am guessing that got-busa is referring to the Top Speed episodes.  One was filmed at World of Speed a few years ago when I ran there and they did somehow arrange to run the new 'muscle cars' unaltered all-out.  In fact, they jumped in line right in front of me and you can see me waiting by the red vette behind them.  They did it on the 130 club mile course versus the long course if that makes a difference.  That said it was back in 2008 and I am not sure if they have done it since..

Offline manifest

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »
Alright so lets say got-busa is getting ready to jump in the ring with ole iron mike, I bet he doesn't put a mouth piece in.  Or what if they made parachutes optional when you go sky diving?  Or everytime you get on a commercial airline they forget to mention that your seat will function as a floatation device?  All of this is to help you save yourself.  Sh!t can still go wrong and someone could get hurt but the fact that you take the time to at least try to help the situation in the event something goes southis the main part.  We don't have control over how other groups handle their safety issues but we do have a say so in LSR.  If this OH track becomes available for us to use then by god lets do everything we can to keep everyone safe as possible.
And if anyone is looking at it from a financial standpoint then learn to weld and do things yourself or find another hobby, lord knows this ain't the cheapest thing we could all be doing.
Oh and remember to wear your seatbelt and brush your teeth.

Zach

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »
I've learned to stay out of these conversations as they are PURE  "no win" deals for us.... but here's what I know....

We follow the rules established by the SCTA for the most part..... Maxton and the ECTA is designed to be a place where you can test your Bonneville entry.... that is our primary goal...... however we've made and established rules for "street cars" as well.... and cars that play in that realm need to meet the rules established for the safety of our competitors .... ( our insurance requires we follow the rules we've out lined to them )   With a seat belt you can drive your late model Corvette at Maxton as we've evaluated the roll structure and agree it meets our basic need for a roll bar.

I have raced at Texas and enjoy Jay and Shannon and the events they put on....   I'd defend their right to put on an racing event as they see fit.   Differences are like apples and oranges...  each of us have our strong points....    Just know I dig them... and the Texas Mile....   it is what it is....

Now lets get back to this airport.....  Guys... this place looks GOOD....

Lots of reasons but genuinely it's a viable....

Here's my contact numbers... feel free to call me if you wish to discuss it further.

Keith 334 763 6566
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Got-Busa?

• New folks
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 11:53:21 AM »
I am guessing that got-busa is referring to the Top Speed episodes.  One was filmed at World of Speed a few years ago when I ran there and they did somehow arrange to run the new 'muscle cars' unaltered all-out.  In fact, they jumped in line right in front of me and you can see me waiting by the red vette behind them.  They did it on the 130 club mile course versus the long course if that makes a difference.  That said it was back in 2008 and I am not sure if they have done it since..

It was just an example, not trying to upset anyone... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrKPPdTuk8I

My main point is I look forward to running at Ohio and hope everything works out.  I'd just like for them to allow more street cars to run.  If you are running 200+ I understand having full cage and all the required stuff.  But, technology has allowed some really fast and neat cars out of the factory these days.  

Just to give you an example you can walk into any dealer and get a ZR1/Viper/GT-R,etc. that will run in the 160-170's "OEM stock!"  These are the kind of vehicles I would like to see be allowed to run.  Kind of funny when my wifes OEM stock 4-door car will run over 135 (borderline 150) and by the rules she would need a roll-cage.  This would keep her from racing since we won't cut up a family car with a baby-seat in the back.  It would still be nice to have her come out and race without buying ANOTHER race vehicle to do it....  :-D

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:56:39 AM by Got-Busa? »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
While reading the early part of this thread, I happened to watch Mythbusters doing an entertaining episode at Naval Air Station Alameda.  Oh!  Eureka!

Alameda has an 8000' runway (and a 7200') and the city rents it out to semi-crazies.

Maxton, according to the ECTA website, has 1.9 miles of usable pavement counting the taxiways at both ends.

I found a picture of NAS Alameda:

Looks like you'd only go out the back door once  :x  Ah, well.

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
Mike,

A bit of a tow from the Mid-West.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline WildBro

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »
While reading the early part of this thread, I happened to watch Mythbusters doing an entertaining episode at Naval Air Station Alameda.  Oh!  Eureka!

Alameda has an 8000' runway (and a 7200') and the city rents it out to semi-crazies.

Maxton, according to the ECTA website, has 1.9 miles of usable pavement counting the taxiways at both ends.

I found a picture of NAS Alameda:

Looks like you'd only go out the back door once  :x  Ah, well.

Mike

I'll be passing on running here  :roll:

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 01:57:58 PM »
That Naval Air Station looks as good as the London City Airport which a magazine used for high speed runs.  Just a bit safer than the indoor speed records attempted here in the UK, where the limit of the track used is defined by concrete walls.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline jreken

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 03:00:46 PM »
Bill-
LSR and daredevil stunts? What a concept. Does someone make aero-pfds? Vehicle flotation devices? Right...right, sounds like it's one more attempt to stiffle our fun.

John

See everyone in April!

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
Looking forward to hearing more about this site. Would love to run there. Maxton is great and Texas too but this is only 4 hrs away from us.
 Lets hope for good news
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication