Author Topic: Post your "Things I have to change to conform to the new rules" list here  (Read 19312 times)

Offline tedgram

Re: Post your "Things I have to change to conform to the new rules" list here
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »

I've bought my helmet but I got a SA2005. At my age I probably won't need one for more than 5 years more. I haven't looked seriously at the head restraints yet but I heard you have to go to a 2" shoulder harness. Sure hate to throw away my custom Autopower 3" shoulder harness for something smaller so I can spend a bunch of money on a restraint that is going to increase my cockpit exit time!

Harvey

You still need three inch belts. The two inch belts are made on top of the 3 inch belts to hold the Hans device.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
Lexan cuts just fine with a regular jigsaw blade. Polycarbonate that is not Lexan will split and crack.     vic
Lexan is just a brand name for polycarbonate. They are the same. Wayno
After reading my post, I thunk. Of course you can have polycarbonate that is not Lexan. Krusty, have you had a problem with another brand of polycarbonate? Wayno

Offline krusty

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
Wayno - Ya got me, I've only used GE Lexan in the windshields, rear windows, and side glass I've installed. What I really meant to convey (ya know, "in the spirit of" :evil:) is that you should be careful of getting an inferior quality PLEXIGLASS product, which will crack and split (and wound you). My experience with  polycarbonates other than GE Lexan is non-existant.  Thanks for getting me straight.      vic

Offline Chris Horoho

• Turbobikes.org
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »
Wayno - Ya got me, I've only used GE Lexan in the windshields, rear windows, and side glass I've installed. What I really meant to convey (ya know, "in the spirit of" :evil:) is that you should be careful of getting an inferior quality PLEXIGLASS product, which will crack and split (and wound you). My experience with  polycarbonates other than GE Lexan is non-existant.  Thanks for getting me straight.      vic
polycarbonate has many good brands
Plexiglas is acrylic and I wouldn't use it for anything
makrolon (with the ryno) is another good brand of polycarbonate sheets
"Pinky"

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I need to replace the wind screen on my roadster and want to use lexan instead of the plexiglas that's there.. I think I read on this site, that lexan is blue when viewed from the edge and plexiglass is clear or is it the other way around?  Trouble is, my memory is mostly gone. Appreciate any help.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Chris Horoho

• Turbobikes.org
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 07:31:39 PM »
I need to replace the wind screen on my roadster and want to use lexan instead of the plexiglas that's there.. I think I read on this site, that lexan is blue when viewed from the edge and plexiglass is clear or is it the other way around?  Trouble is, my memory is mostly gone. Appreciate any help.

Ron
correct polycarbonate(lexan) has a bluish tint to it when viewed from the side
"Pinky"

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »
Thanks Chris

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline JimL

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 11:35:43 PM »
Re: heat forming Lexan....I seem to recall someone telling me you have to heat it for a while at below 180 degrees to get the water out of it, first.  If you heat above that, without preheat process, the water will boil and form bubbles.  Probably some info somewhere on the net.

jl

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 11:44:18 PM »
  Jim, water?  I wonder if that is for making a tight like 45 to 90 degree bend like a flange?
  It's my understanding that a good, even heat source like a couple of heat lamps will do the job.
  I have no experience but it sounds like a few others posting have.           Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 07:44:22 AM »
Re: heat forming Lexan....I seem to recall someone telling me you have to heat it for a while at below 180 degrees to get the water out of it, first.  If you heat above that, without preheat process, the water will boil and form bubbles.  Probably some info somewhere on the net.

jl
That is my understanding also. Wayno

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 09:43:05 AM »
Me too. The way I understood it was lexan absorbs humidity and if heated to quickly the water vaporizes and makes internal bubbles which would ruin your lexan. IIRC it take quite a while to expel the water. FWIW I would do research before ruining some expensive lexan.

Just my $.02
Ron

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »
Here is site for pre-heating lexan before bending.   http://www.portplastics.com/architect/page22.html

Ron

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 10:44:16 PM »
If one chooses to replace side windows on an ex cab pickup with a polycarbonate how would you attach them? Tabs inside the body and screw or pop rivet them?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 11:09:37 PM »
If one chooses to replace side windows on an ex cab pickup with a polycarbonate how would you attach them? Tabs inside the body and screw or pop rivet them?

That will work just fine,,, we used 1/8" pop rivits... you can also use screws.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 11:41:17 PM »
are you allowed to "bed" the window and not violate "sealing & taping" restrictions?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!