Author Topic: modern 'liner vs old  (Read 2355 times)

Offline italianrun

• New folks
modern 'liner vs old
« on: November 08, 2010, 04:12:40 PM »
Hi at all...maybe what i'm going to say it's a stupid thing but  i would like to know what people like you, lsr "veterans", think about this:
Many times we see that very powerful liners are not able to reach their real potential speed because of loss of traction....they add weight but so...there is no enough space to accelerate until full speed (herbert liner, burkland ecc)....other liners whit less power reach similar speeds like speed damon or spirit of rett or spectre.But look at the past....Mikey thompson challenger 1 would be  able to make the top speed of the meet also in our days.The fastest liners of today are in the same range of speed ( 422 mph exit speed by challenger,right?)....Challenger had 2800 hp...les than burkland and a bigger frontal area...Maybe, could be that larger liner like challenger or mercedes w125 (only 750hp and 270 ca mph) generate more downforce? So a challenger1-shape streamliner with 5000/6000hp could reaches 500+ mph in 5 miles...

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: modern 'liner vs old
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
There is a recent topic "What did we learn from four cars going over 400?" or something similar.  I do not remember the exact title.  Lots of people give ideas on this subject.  It seems that advancements in all sorts of areas are allowing folks to go fast with smaller and fewer engines.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »
The heavier weight also means there is an increased force needed to stop. This means a heavier vehicle will require a longer shutdown the its like counterpart of same design.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
The heavier weight also means there is an increased force needed to stop.
True.
This means a heavier vehicle will require a longer shutdown the its like counterpart of same design.
Not true.  There's no reason chutes can't be larger to give the same deceleration.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:33:44 AM »
This means a heavier vehicle will require a longer shutdown the its like counterpart of same design.
Not true.  There's no reason chutes can't be larger to give the same deceleration.

One could also say you could make one faster by adding more HP, slow down better with air brakes or thrust reversers. I am referring to identical vehicles, one heavier then the other.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »
"a heavier vehicle will require a longer shutdown the its like counterpart of same design. "

Yes, I see the "same design" words -- but whatever -- the Phoenix slowed enough for turning out -- by about the 6 mile, didn't it?  And the Phoenix weighed around 14,000#, right?  In this case -- it was a B F chute!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:14:30 PM »
Most fast liners use a high speed (small) to stabilize the vehicle before dumping the larger low speed chute, some carry 3 or 4 chutes. The large chute is ok for large and heavy vehicles like the Phoenix, A large chute at 400+ Hits way to hard and would probably pull the back of the car off the ground or worse.  When I was helping Deist he said the faster the vehicle the smaller the primary chute. 4 wheel carbon/carbon brakes also help.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:16:17 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah