Misc Forums > How To Section

More shop safety

(1/4) > >>

floydjer:
Everyones welding instructor has told them this, But  ALWAYS face away from high pressure tanks on your torch or welder when opening them. Yesterday I opened the tank on my Tig (slowly,as always) and the regulator failed catastrophically.....Parts flew all over the shop. No injury...But it got my attention. Jerry

Seldom Seen Slim:
I've said it out loud, I've mumbled it under my breath, I've thought it without saying it -- but "Safety is Cheap!"  Do it the safe way, the right way, no matter whether it takes a minute longer.  It's worth doing it safely.  Good story, Jerry.  Glad you're not hurt.

robfrey:
Jerry,
You are the first person I have ever heard this actually happening to. I alway take this precaution but was not sure how much merit i should give to this act. I'm glad to know that I was not wasting my time all these years. Thank the Lord nobody was hurt.

Trouble:
Very old topic:

Throw away all brake cleaner more than a couple years old.  The early version created nerve gas when welding.  All the new stuff is safe.  The old chemical could cause permanent brain damage with a single wiff.

hotrod:
I had an in line air filter on a sand blaster blow off a few years ago, just after I opened the valve.

I had just opened up the air valve to the sandblaster and heard a rapidly rising air leak from the area of the tank fittings and in line filter.
I turned away from the rig just as it blew the bottom of the inline filter off the air filter housing splattering bits of the filter housing all over the ground just a few inches from my feet.

I could have had a serious foot injury or if things had blown a different way, shrapnel injuries as things came apart.

Makes you respect even compressed air devices.

Larry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version