Author Topic: El Mirage help  (Read 7904 times)

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
El Mirage help
« on: October 22, 2010, 04:04:36 AM »
I am looking for some help to run for a record at El Mirage.

We currently have the record in F/GT at ECTA and Bonneville.
The icing on the cake would be to have it at El Mirage at the same time.

I am a SCTA/BNI member already.

I am looking to see if someone can help get me into a club for the upcoming event in November weather permitting.

Realistically all I am really looking to do at this event is to get the rookie aspect done so next year I could make a stab at the record.

If anyone could help get me a pass in a car to satisfy the rookie deal that would be great. I am 2500 miles away and it would be difficult to pull all that way for the rookie deal.

Please give me a call if you can help!
Thanks

Burton Brown 920-585-0776
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: El Mirage help
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »
Burton,

Getting you in to a club is the easy part, with the new Rookie orientation rules that are in place I am not sure if a rookie can set a record at their first El Mo event..get a hold of Nathan Stewart nathan_d_stewart AT yahoo.com and see what he says...

Good luck with your goal.   :cheers:

John

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »

I am looking for some help to run for a record at El Mirage.

I am a SCTA/BNI member already.

I am looking to see if someone can help get me into a club for the upcoming event in November weather permitting.

Please give me a call if you can help!
Thanks

Burton Brown 920-585-0776

I am confused with your post. If you are an SCTA member you are already a  member of one of the SCTA clubs unless you are an Associate SCTA member. If you are a BNI member that in itself does not mean you are automatically an SCTA member.

With that said, are you a SCTA member who is out of state and would like to hitch a ride with someone who already runs at El Mirage? So you can get your licensing out of the way for next year?

Please clarify.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 06:18:03 AM »
Yes I am an SCTA member but I understand from reading the El Mirage rules you must also be a member of another club.

I am looking to join this other club, help out with some duties as I understand and make a rookie pass. Ideally it would be in a car that all it has to do is satisfy the rookie portion. I understand the record part of not being able to set a record as a rookie.

I am really trying to set it up for next year where I will try to bump our record up at bonneville and hopefully set one at El Mirage in the same trip. It is a 2500 mile drive for me to El Mirage and it is difficult to justify hauling a car 5000 miles to make 1 pass for the rookie part.

Thanks
Burton

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »
You must be a member of an SCTA club in order to be an SCTA member
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »
Ok,

Then that is where the confusion comes from on my part. Sorry.
I thought when you have a membership in order to run at Bonneville and have licenses there, it was an SCTA membership. It must only be BNI. I am probably not the first to confuse this. SCTA and El Mirage events are run by SCTA (except world of speed) correct?
So I guess I need to read more. Anyway I will do that but still looking to see if it is possible to do whatever it takes to run for a record at El Mirage next year. I would like to get the rookie status out of the way at the November event if possible.

Burton

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
You will be very lucky if someone let's you buckle up in there car.  First, most racers don't get many chances to get good passes at Elmo.  Second if they have never met you how can they trust you.  Third, it is supposed to rain again next week there; so there may not be enough time to dry up.  The only advantage you may have is that it is a two day meet and the run would be a low speed.  Good luck on finding a ride. :cheers:

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »
I do understand. Can you run a street car as they do at the world of speed with a helmet/fire extinguisher for thr rookie run?

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »
Yes I am an SCTA member but I understand from reading the El Mirage rules you must also be a member of another club.

I am looking to join this other club, help out with some duties as I understand and make a rookie pass. Ideally it would be in a car that all it has to do is satisfy the rookie portion. I understand the record part of not being able to set a record as a rookie.

I am really trying to set it up for next year where I will try to bump our record up at bonneville and hopefully set one at El Mirage in the same trip. It is a 2500 mile drive for me to El Mirage and it is difficult to justify hauling a car 5000 miles to make 1 pass for the rookie part.

Thanks
Burton

Burton,

You cannot run a street car unless it meets all the safety rules for the class it fits in to however your rookie run can also be a motorcycle if you have one and are willing to make a few small changes to make it legal and safe..

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 02:50:14 PM »
Burton,

The rookie sticker may stay on your helmet all weekend and you will need to license up as well...it will not be a one run and done affair..

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
What is the record in the class you intend to run?  If it's under 175 then it may be attainable with less rookie runs.

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
OK,

What do you need to change on a mtorcycle?

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 02:56:03 PM »
The current F/GT record is 158

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 03:10:09 PM »
Burton, www.scta-bni.org  log on and click on El Mirage tab. Then open the operating procedures
It's several pages long with all of the requirements for the running there,. BNI has different requirements for running on the salt. These are in the rule book. The new rule book won't be out until early 2011. The revised El Mirage operating procedures should be out before the first meet and the updates/changes will be posted on the web site as well.

Everyone wishes you well but a lot of things are different between the dry lake and at Bonneville.
To join a club each one has heir own bylaws. Not all allow out of state members because of duties the clubs pull at the events. Some clubs require that you attend up to three meetings before they vote on a new member.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »
Thanks Glen,

I do have the procedures open and have been reading them. It seems to be more involved than either of the other two I have been at. (ECTA and Bonneville)

I have learned over the last 10+years that land speed racing is quite different than the late model stock cars I have been running the past 20 years or so.

Just doing it for fun, but now we have 5 records between ECTA and Bonneville and thought it might be neat to have the record (or attempt to) at El Mirage.

Anyway it doesn't seem like the stars are aligning yet, even mother nature is not being kind to the lake bed I hear.

I am pretty persistant and don't give up to easily though. So I will keep reading and seeing if I can fit in somewhere.

Thanks
Burton