Author Topic: new 2011 rule changes  (Read 103134 times)

Offline dw230

Re: new 2011 rule changes
« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
Score one point for Pete.

"no less than stock length or width", not real hard to understand.

Real life experience here. When we raced the Alfa, pre-Cook, we used Bob Noice's PSI blown Rodeck at one El Mirage meet. The size of the blower put all that mass higher than the roll cage., outside the body. This is kinda like using an OEM sized radiator in Gas Coupe. BTW, won the season championship at that event.

Our mantra at that event was, frontal area does not scare us - we'll horsepower thru it.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

LittleLiner

« Reply #316 on: December 18, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »
Since CdA is usually what is important in LSR I would suspect area is the deciding factor. The GC rules require stock sheet metal and no blanking off holes. Are you saying you can fit either geometry within stock configuration?

What I am saying is that I cannot fit a radiator in my car that is as wide as the stock OEM Radiator mounted in the OEM location.  Part of that space is now occupied by part of the engine.  So even with the clarification, amendment, etc the rule still pushes my setup out of GC and into Altered (after I cover up the headlights). 

All in all the new wording of the CG radiator rule seems like a good rule clarification and I can live with that. 

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #317 on: December 29, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
 Maybe this was already mentioned. I read it but it was a long thread.....

The radiator rule is what I am talking about. Even with a smaller radiator, unless you block the unused area, all that air is still going into the engine bay and not providing any sort of aero benefit. If they are just trying to prevent any aero advantage then why not have a general rule outlawing any method of obviously blocking airflow?
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
I've just returned from the Indy trade show and there was a very nice display of Polycarbonate windows and windshields. The company is Shields Windscreens and their website is racingshields.com They have worked on some landspeed projects in the past. Seemed to be very nice quality.
Shields makes great stuff. I have used their products in the past in several road race cars. They can also make any windshield for a reasonable price if they don't already have a mold. You can send them your windshield or pay like $75 for them to source one locally then add that to the price based on thickness, supershield, tint, antifog etc.... the prices are all on their site.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline dw230

« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »
I have just sent the following to all effected web sites, look for this to be posted on scat-bni.org and landracing.com.

Rewrites for pending rules issues:

3.A.3 Driver’s Helmet SupportLateral Movement: The seat, roll cage structure or suitable restraint system, such as a restraint net, swing away bar or similar such device, shall provide restriction to lateral head movement of less than 2 in. per side inclusive of structure deflection, and at a minimum extend to the forward most portion of the helmet see Section 3.B.1.

3.U   WINDOWS AND WINDSHIELDS:

All non-stock windows and windshields shall be made of shatter-resistant plastic, such as polycarbonate (Lexan), and shall provide 120 degrees of adequate vision forward. On all open body cars a windshield is recommended, but shall not restrict driver entrance or exit. In all classes where a headrest fairing is permitted, the windshield may sweep around the driver’s head and connect to the fairing on either side (see 3.E Driver’s Compartment rule concerning sharp edges).
All windshield wiper blades and arms shall be removed. On front and rear windows, retaining tabs or straps are required over 175 MPH.
Vehicles with T-Tops or moon roof panels shall have the panels retained with tabs or straps.

All vehicles over 250 MPH shall replace all non-laminated safety glass windows with polycarbonate material. All other glass, such as headlights, must be covered with SAFETY film.

Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles in classes where the record exceeds 200 MPH must have all non-laminated safety glass windows replaced with polycarbonate material.

Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles with “frameless” side windows, regardless of speed, must have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material.Additional bracing must be installed to prevent window blowout or collapse.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #320 on: December 30, 2010, 06:48:41 PM »
  Dan, thanks a million for running those two rules back through the committee.  It just proves again that LSR is not a "us versus them" deal, and that our voices can be heard.
  Thank God and Slim (in no particular order) for allowing us to use this site for more than just shmoozing.........  Bob
                                                :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Mayor---thanks for your efforts  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bville701

« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »
3.A.3 Driver’s Helmet SupportLateral Movement: The seat, roll cage structure or suitable restraint system, such as a restraint net, swing away bar or similar such device, shall provide restriction to lateral head movement of less than 2 in. per side inclusive of structure deflection, and at a minimum extend to the forward most portion of the helmet see Section 3.B.1.

Hey DW, Thanks for ALL that you do, but can you please ellaborate on this a little bit? Does this mean that we do not have to have a HNR of 38.1 SFI type for 2011?

Thanks again!  :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »
Ryan, the above is in addition to the HNR system 38.1.
The change is in the way you retain the helmet in a laterial (side to side) movement. The SCTA has given options here compaired to how the rule was first conveyed.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bville701

« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2010, 01:27:57 AM »
Got it. Thanks.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #325 on: December 31, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »
YAY!  I'll still be able to barely get into and out of my car! :-D

Dan, thank you for shepherding our concerns on these issues.

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2010, 01:49:12 PM »
 Thanks, Dan, and have a Happy New Year. See 'Ya in August.  :cheers: :cheers:
Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #327 on: January 01, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
Dan, do we still need to have safety film on both sides of windows that are not liminated glass?? or is that only for glass headlight lenses on cars going over 250mph?? Or has that requirement for safety film been deleted for this years racing (2011)??? sure hope so.   I wasn't sure with the most recent write up for 3.U in rule book, thanks Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline dw230

« Reply #328 on: January 01, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
If your car was legal for 2010 it is legal for 2011.

The rule still states that safety film is needed for glass lenses such as headlights.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #329 on: January 01, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »
DW
  I understand what the rules say, "BUT" (you know how that goes) wouldn't it be safer to have formed sheet metal with decals instead of glass in the headlight sockets? I put chip guard on my roadster lights but if they broke it could still let the rest of the sealed beam headlight glass fall out of the bucket on the track.
  I was going to use wheeled aluminum and decals until you pointed out "headlights must be used".
I,m not talking about streamlining, just replacing the glass sealed beams with metal and decals.

Thanks
Ron Gibson
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.