Author Topic: new 2011 rule changes  (Read 103131 times)

Online MAZDA1807

Re: new 2011 rule changes
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2010, 04:34:21 AM »
Maybe I could move exhaust to the driverside for everyone in the pits to hear, nope they will still hear me coming down the track!

Maybe they could move the exhaust into the drivers compartment.  That would get rid of roatarys even quicker!!!!

Still won't bother me any, music to my ears!!
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline RansomT

« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2010, 09:57:36 AM »
Way back when I had a Mazda RX4 -- the four door sedan.  I remember showing how smooth was the engine - to a buddy.  I'd have it in "park", open the hood, and have him hold onto the hood at the far front end -- farthest away from the mounting hinges.  I'd rev it to 7 grand -- and he would be amazed that there wasn't any vibration anywhere along the 0 - 7,000 curve.  The car, for a four door family grocery getter, was quite spritely, too.  Ah, those were the days, hey?

Jon, Suzuki built a "Wankle" motorcycle back in the mid-70s, the RE5.  You could annoy a bunch of folks racing one of those.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #302 on: December 07, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
Suzuki built a "Wankle" motorcycle back in the mid-70s, the RE5.  You could annoy a bunch of folks racing one of those.

And of course there was the Norton Rotary
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #303 on: December 09, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
Is there a difference besides the name of using say 1/4 inch Lexan, and 1/4 off the wall plexiglass? Is just normal plexiglass ok for windows in the car?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Online MAZDA1807

« Reply #304 on: December 09, 2010, 01:29:19 PM »
Is there a difference besides the name of using say 1/4 inch Lexan, and 1/4 off the wall plexiglass? Is just normal plexiglass ok for windows in the car?

TIA
Clay
I might have the answer, I'm pretty sure "plexiglass" will shatter into pieces, witch are larger than the pieces you get from a tempered window. Lexan is suposably shatter-proof. Peter.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #305 on: December 09, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »

TIA
Clay
Big difference. Plexiglas=cast acrylic.  Lexan=Polycarbonate. As has been pointed out Plexi is like plate glass. That's why it's hard to drill with out shattering. Lexan is what is used for Aircraft windows and wind screens. In WW2 some called it "Bullet proof glass" Not really. But there is a very good reason Plexiglas is not allowed. Lexan is a General Electric product. There are other sources for polycarbonate sheet.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #306 on: December 09, 2010, 05:20:27 PM »
I've bought poly at OSH for my motorcycle shield. Make sure you drill any hole you need before cutting. The more material you have around the hole the better when drilling.........GoodLuck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: December 09, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
I like your avatar JD. Any gold at the bottom of that?  :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #308 on: December 09, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »
Need clarification please:

Ok in the GC class, it says "A replacement radiator of the same height and width and mounted in the original location as OEM shall be used". So am I understanding this rule correctly that I cannot run my water tanks rather I have to run the cooling through the radiator?

Or does it mean that I have to have to stock radiator in the stock location, same size, etc?

Not trying to open a can of worms,

Just need help (In more ways than one) (Grin)

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #309 on: December 09, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
Clay, I was having a chat today, via email about the same thing, in the vintage class.

It seems to me as long as the radiator is there, we can run through the tanks.

Anyone have a definitave answer?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline dw230

« Reply #310 on: December 09, 2010, 08:56:02 PM »
I looked and looked, could not find any words that told me I had to use the OEM radiator to flow the water. Don't forget that the wording has been admended to allow the use of a larger than OEM radiator.

Use water tanks if you want, don't block the radiator core with the tank.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »
Dyno. Been my pot of gold since 1967..Let alone trailer storage, machine shop, weld shop, fab shop, balste, aww you get the picture...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

LittleLiner

« Reply #312 on: December 17, 2010, 11:07:09 PM »
. . . . . Don't forget that the wording has been admended to allow the use of a larger than OEM radiator.
DW
Please define the word "larger" as used in the radiator amendment . . .

More specifically . . the core of the OEM radiator that came with my gas coupe measures approximately 14 inches wide by 14 inches high.  The area is 196 square inches.  Are either of the following two radiators "larger" than the 196 square inch OEM radiator?

a)   One narrower than OEM but taller . . . 10 wide x 20 inches high (200 square inches)
b)   One taller than OEM but wider. . . 15.5 inches wide x 13 inches tall (201,5 square inches)

Both have a "larger" area, but neither have both a larger height and a larger width.

saltfever

« Reply #313 on: December 18, 2010, 02:52:07 AM »
Since CdA is usually what is important in LSR I would suspect area is the deciding factor. The GC rules require stock sheet metal and no blanking off holes. Are you saying you can fit either geometry within stock configuration?

Online MAZDA1807

« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2010, 06:36:02 AM »
I do believe the interpretation of the rule is meant for the radiator to fill the opening exactly as stock or larger, but no less than stock length or width. Is this correct Mr. Warner?